Do people wish that 3rd Party companies took more risks?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Shizuka, Aug 1, 2016.

1. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

That's the real question.

That's true. And mostly that's because MP is so limiting.
    If 4 companies made a Classics design, they'd all be different, MPs are, in theory, made to look the same and achieve the same goal.

MakeToys' Cross Dimension line looks like one of the biggest out-there unique risk taking lines I've seen in a while. I hope they sell a ton and that the fans actually want unique designs and they are encouraged to do more of that sort of thing.

2. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

No offense intended, but your survey doesn't really mean much. It isn't statistically significant for the results to be meaningful, if it's very old, the data wouldn't mean much as fandom shifts over time, and even if your data were 100% accurate for the population of all 3P-TF collectors, it doesn't mean that MPs aren't much better business decisions, as I suspect the margins are much higher than on chug/legends figures.

Your original question assumes that there is significant demand for all these "risky" original things. They know for a fact that G1 MPs are in high demand, so why go off the reservation when you can make something cool that actually has a thriving market? Maybe "Hearts of Steel Skids" would sell great, or maybe it would be a colossal flop. You gonna risk your money on that bet?

3. eatingcake

eatingcake Well-Known Member

No.

I need FT to continue to do what FT does.... just at a faster pace!

4. dgold93

dgold93 Rainmaker

I think just starting a 3P company in and of itself is enough of a risk. That said for the more established ones I think they're doing a fair job of extending the boundaries.

5. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

It's not my money being put into creating these figures, so who am I to complain. That's about how I look at it. After being a fly on the wall during a conversation with someone who is definitely in the know about the costs associated with even a moderate run of these figures, we should all consider ourselves grateful that we get anything at all. Asking 3P's to take risks, even in an informal poll like this one, seems like the height of entitled buyer syndrome. If you don't like it, don't buy it. 3P's are very agile in responding to what buyers want, so if you don't or do buy something this typically prompts more of the same. In other words, if you don't like what they're making then stop buying it and buy a different 3P item. The problem is most TF buyers only want the iconic characters. They don't want the super obscure stuff that this thread seems to imply companies should perhaps instead be focusing on.

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Actually there's a lot of people including me who want a figure of AOE Lockdown that actually improves on what the official one failed to do. Sure the KO oversized ones help but it would be cool if we were to get a figure of AOE Lockdown that isn't an oversized KO. You may not be a fan of Movie Lockdown and the other TF characters but to say that no one else does is wrong.

It may not happen for a while but eventually 3rd party companies are going to have to look towards series that isn't G1 because relying on G1 characters will only take them so far before needing to focus on another group. That's what we're seeing with how we're now getting 3rd party offerings of Optimal Optimus from BW. Same goes for movie characters since people have been wanting guys like a Leader sized Black Out for years now.

7. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well hot damn! Seali_me makes an appearance!! Damn good to see you about. Tis been a while :D 

Das kause dis was a piece of CACA :lol 

8. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Never left man. :) 

I guess you're mostly on the 3P side of the boards.

Nice to see you're still here too.

9. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Shut your damn mouth.

News Credits:
    Agreed. If people didn't love the movie designs, then why are 3A still making figures of them that cost an arm and a leg (way more than any 3P has done) and don't even transform.

There are plenty of people that have come around to liking the movie designs while still not really enjoying the films.

But as usual, DocSeth doesn't really know what he's talking about, even though it's all over the Official Forum.

As for the topic? I think the OP needs to take a look at that Dr. Wu insider story. Just my thoughts on it.

10. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

One or two "third party" toys caught my interest.

It has to do with TFA Constructicons.

If that wasn't risky enough, I don't know what else to tell you. Only a select few enjoy TFA.

Lastly, I see the fandom still doesn't know how to use the word "third party"

I see we've added the word unlicensed... LOL

11. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah im a chug scale collector hate the MP scale, i skip most 3rd part stuff because its MP scale

12. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I think *risk* might be too loaded a word. As has already been pointed out, every 3P release has some risk factor involved.

I'm definitely in the camp of "2 MUCH EM PEE". It's boring. I love CHUG and I love everything FP and Maketoys have ever released to go along with some form of CHUG line. A lot of the 3PMP toys do look great and I'm sure are loads of fun but it's boring, it's stale and it's unimaginative.

Going back to the "risk" factor. I imagine these days anything which isn't MP or a combiner is possibly a risk. Hell, GCreations IDW Prowl and Prime were apparently upscaled to MP to try and grab more sales but that may work against them as MP collectors might not care about IDW bots. I honestly couldn't say who holds the majority but based on releases from companies and the fact that Maketoys and MMC are turning their hand to MPs (as opposed to Fanstoys who seem to only make 3PMP) it's clearly where the money is and for collectors like me, that sucks, hard.

It's not because I want an end to these toys but rather as has already been pointed out it's just boring to see companies releasing awfully similar toys. I will say sometimes there are clearly different takes on a character and I like that say, MT still inject a wee bit of their own personality into their MP toys.

The reality might well be that producing MP toys allows a company to then release something less popular, be it a vague character in MP style or some new type of toy altogether.

13. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why do they need to take risks? Why do they need to "invent unique characters" or build in different scales? The 3P's that do it well (FT, MT, MMC even KFC and XTB) do more than enough business to stay profitable as they are. Risks also involve the possibility of failure, which would destroy a small company.
    As for why MP instead of Chug? It comes down to margins. MP doesn't cost that much more to design and build but they can easily sell for 2-3 times as much and in larger quantities. The guy who makes an MP Skids will make a lot more than the guy who makes a Chug Skids. MP is the trendy thing these days which means it's also immensely popular, makes large qty of sales and allows for ridiculous markups. 3Ps are businesses, they've done the maths and research. If they're all going into MP it's because that's where the money is. The anti-MP folks may hate this but that doesn't change reality. Companies go where the money is and they have a much better idea of where that is than we do.

14. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

Not really. FansToys and Xtransbots leader scale figures cost about $150 at most US retailers while Voyager scale figures from the likes of MMC, FP, UT, TFC, etc cost around $100. That's a .5 times the cost. Not 2-3 times.

Also the price of molding, raw materials (often including die-cast), and shipping goes up in a not insignificant way when you make something larger.

edit: Oh and to answer the current question at hand. I think we have a pretty good balance of product variety right now. A bit too much of G1 style MP style toys but that will eventually equalize kinda like how combiners have stuck around but become just one more thing these companies bring us rather than the majority of what they do.

15. einhazard

einhazard Sentient Tapedeck

Personally, I'm not really into 3PMP due to the price and the fact that even though I'm a G1 fan, I'm not a GEEWUN fan. I'd rather have interesting toys based on characters for whom toys don't exist, like MMC's not-DJD and Impactor. Besides that, a lot of my favorite 3p figures are the more out-there designs, taking an established character and doing something new with it like Assaulter or Leonidas or Pandinus. Heck, even Ordin and FP's Saurus give that 'classic but new' feel. I already have a G1 Monstructor and a G1 Abominus. Why would I want that again? Isn't it better to have an updated version of a character you like? I think so.
    I guess the argument could be made that that's what a lot of the 3pMP's are, but I still feel like there's just something sterile about them a lot of the time. Perhaps it's because I got Apollyon, and that thing's transformation is just... ugh.

Anyway, ultimately, it's just cool to have a ton of options. I remember before 3p went crazy, and how exciting it was to start getting Hercules for the first time. It's awesome that we have these options at all, but yeah, I would like to see a little more boldness (I don't think risk is the right term), because while we're getting a jillion different-yet-nearly-identical representations of the G1 dinobots, I'm going to lean towards Glacialord instead.

16. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I have GlacialLord standing prominently in the forefront of my collection and find to be an excellent combiner.

It shows what Hasbro could've done, but never did.

17. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    As an MP collector, and someone who doesn't give a crap about CHUG, I wish 3P would tackle more characters that Takara won't. Toy only characters. An example would be G1 Whirl.

18. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

If by "more risks" you mean making a Victory Leo to go with MP Star Saber, then YES. Take more risks!

19. MechaToast

MechaToast G1? No thanks.

20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I'd gladly buy an MP Barrage :)