Do people wish that 3rd Party companies took more risks?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Shizuka, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I wish that 3rd party companies would take it upon themselves to sell a product that fans might want. Look at the 2 Optimal Optimus's that we now likely because of fans' excitement over MP Primal and Cheetor but I'm sure that fans would have bought them regardless of a 20 year celebration.

I understand that selling a product that consumers may not know they want is risky and a gamble but, while this is a common business practice I really dislike that people only do things only because someone else has done it first. Why can't 3rd Party companies do something first? What's stopping them from for example, remaking Armada Optimus Prime or AoE Lockdown? Surely they can use forums to gauge interest after making a prototype?

2. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    If anything they should take less risks, we need even more Devastators, Insecticons, and Dinobots!

3. researchicon

researchicon Well-Known Member

What incentive does a 3P company have to take more risks?

4. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I don't think 3rd Parties are doing the same things because there's less risk. I think once one is announced, the others that were working on the same rush theirs out so they can sway as many as possible to hold out for theirs instead.

5. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't mind 7 different third party Blasters when all 7 were in different styles (WST, Headmasters, Voyager, Leader, MP, a satellite phone!), but now that all the companies are on an MP kick, we get a half dozen guys who are IDENTICAL to me. That is annoying.

If 3 companies are making Trailbreaker one should have been MP, one a beautiful CHUG who isn't hollow and cheap, and other a Legends. Heck, make one an old retro truck from the 50s, and one that turns into a train car that Hearts of Steel Optimus Prime can pull or a prehistoric beast, and another a Pretender! No, we get 3 MPs! All of which I will pass on, and most MP collectors will only buy one of them, so what's the point?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

yes. they should.

3P companies should distribute higher quality products and maybe I'll start buying again.

also the overall designs may look complicated but that's due to it's fiddley two week design transformation. Whenever I look at people transform any of them, it reminds me of how MP Megatron was just as fiddley.

not only the overall plastic quality are weak but the overall design is as well. These companies should stand strong against fandom/retail pressure for releasing on time.

7. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    A bigger reward. They'll be doing something that 1) no-one else is doing that 2) might sell. Using AoE Lockdown as an example, how many companies are working on a more screen-accurate version of him? Probably none. But there are people who would buy one because he was a good character with an interesting design, alt mode and arensal. If a company released one and it sold well they'd be could make a lot of money because for that period they'll be the only ones selling that product.

The thing is, once that figure starts selling well we'd get other 3rd party companies doing more Lockdowns because that's how things work. However, it started with a company producing figures from a series that wasn't guaranteed to have a demographic.

8. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I heard 3P quit making the chugs because people kept calling them chugs and the 3Ps didn't like it.

9. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Pretty much this. MMC Hexatron was the only one that didn't feel like a garage kit ready to break at any moment during transformation. KFC's Magnus isn't bad...even good, aside from the head sculpt...but it's probably one of the better ones out of a litany of brittle designs, IMO.

I'm not really sure where 3rd parties can go, though, that would be considered risky. Hasbro is taking fewer and fewer characters off the table. Safe harbor is probably most Japanese exclusive characters...but those are also the least known by fans.

Maybe if they gave us CHUG Omnibots and Powerdashers?

10. Imperator

Imperator Combiner limb

I imagine their margins are so tight that taking a risk is the last thing they want to do. Hasbro is large enough that the lost revenue of unsold stock can be made up by future sales far more comfortably. But a 3rd party company simply has to sell their stock if they want to continue.

11. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

If I ran a 3rd Party company, everyone would hate me, because the only things I'd produce would be almost sure sellers.

Optimus Primes, Seekers, Devastators, Grimlocks, maybe some Shockwaves... all those figures we've seen before, done hundreds of times. That's all I'd ever produce.

Because, as an imaginary 3rd Party executive, I have NO interest in risk. None. You know who should take risks? You know who should produce figures of marginal characters that few remember, that appeared only a couple of times? HasTak. They have the backing, they have the profit base, they have the facilities to take chances on characters. Me? Why should I risk my entire quarter, maybe my whole company, on producing a figure that may or may not sell, when I can produce something that is likely to sell? Service to the fans? Not interested. My interest in the fandom begins and ends with getting them to hand over their money.

Design and prototype production is often the most expensive part of making a toy. The only thing I can think of that might be more expensive is producing the molds for mass production. So investing in a product up to the point of having a prototype and hoping that you can gauge fan interest via message boards, and that said fan interest will equate to sells... nope. My company is producing an oversized Classics Optimus Prime, with some die-cast... and a cover for the head, so that when you lose the oversized wind vane/gun, you don't see the back of Optimus' head.

12. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 All Around Nice Guy who doesnt like soccer

Ebay:
    no one is working on a 3p lockdown from AoE because NO ONE BUT YOU WANTS ONE! Most people don't like the looks of the movie figures as a whole and Hasbro makes most if not all on screen characters and then some. its not taking a risk, its financial suicide if you make something with such a low fan base. while they could take it a little more risky than everyone making a devastator, everyone making the same MP figures, taking a HUGE risk like making an AOE Lockdown is just moronic.

13. Chainlink

Chainlink The Annihilator

If by "risk" you mean make figures in styles that aren't seen every day, then yes.
    I'm suffocating in all the MP or MP-styled or adhering-strictly-to-the-cartoon-model figures on the market. As someone who couldn't give a shit about G1 or Masterpiece figures, it's always a blessing when a more stylized figure comes out. That's why I'm in love Maketoy's Cross Dimension line. It's something different. More CHUG, less G1.

So yes. I'd love to see 3P companies do something different. Something fresh. Something new.

14. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

Lol was this topic moved here or something from the official section? I mean rightfully so if ... so, but some of these replies make me giggle. Mostly on the first page. Okay mainly just two peoples comments.

Funny they mention the quality not being good; because the last 20 or so releases from HasTak have been repainted/rehashed hollow garbage.

To each their own I guess!

15. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Amen.

16. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Yeah, we'd get one MP that half the fans didn't like because it wasn't toon enough (or it was too toon), and two smaller figures that appeal to exactly four collectors and ignored by the other 99.93%.

Train car Trailbreaker? I'm in this hobby to collect cool nostalgic "perfect" representations of figures from years gone by. I'm not interested in steampunk re-imaginings or additional gimmicks (pretenders?!) that I hated in 1988 and that haven't gotten better with age.

If you're trying to design a way for 3Ps to go out of business, I think you're really onto something. If I'm a 3P, I'd rather come in 2nd in the MP sweepstakes of character X than design something that statistically-speaking appeals to no one.

17. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    3rd party companies do take risks, though.

FansProject:
    -GlacialLord (No one else had done anything like this and still hasn't since.)

-Steelcore

-Classics Optimus upcoming armor (It's nothing that's been done before and actually replaces missing accessories making a usually incomplete and useless figure one whole piece again.)

MakeToys:
    -Hyper Novae (Yes, it's Nova Prime, but no one had done a figure of him, not even Hasbro. The core robot was Hasbro's design, but FP did such a drastic remold that you can barely tell anything Hasbro remains.)

-Chaos/Paladin (Yes, it's supposed to be the Fallen, but it was a completely brand new take on a character that hadn't been made into a toy before AND it worked with PCC. No one wanted PCC, even the fans, and MT made a figure that was intentionally directed towards them.)

KFC:
    -Rover cassette (It had like one appearance on the show. Even Hasbro didn't go to the trouble of making one. KFC did.)

BadCube:
    -Chip Chase (Everyone wants human figures to go with their MPs, but Chip's situation makes it a bit tricky. How do you do it without being offensive and still make the fans happy? They took the chance and went for it.)

Companies would be willing to take more risks if people didn't ask for a bunch of this and bunch of that and force them to compete with HasTak. 3rd parties are definitely willing to take risks, their entire existence is a BIG risk.

I'm not trying to crap all over your question, I swear, but people don't see the things that have happened and only look at the things they wish would happen.

Everyone's all "MOAR EMM PEE" and I'm all like "But...there are plenty of MP guys out there. How about some more CHUG love?" And then I'm reminded of how much they did for CHUG. Wish they'd do a bit more, but I'm not going to complain.

For what has come out, I'd say they've done a really good job. We need to remember they've done some really cool things and took some really solid risks.

Can't blame them for wanting to cash in on what's going to actually make them money. That's how this works.

18. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

Agree with the last two comments posted completely. Well said guys.

19. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. According to a survey I did on this site 3P collectors only favor MP by a small margin. There is certainly still demand for CHUG 3P.

20. GrimSwipe

GrimSwipe Shock Trooper

Someone was going going to be potentially offended by a Chip Chase rendition? If so, they need to be fed feet-first into a woodchipper.