Do people like RID2015?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, May 4, 2017.

?

Do YOU like RID2015

1. Yes I like/love/enjoy it

68 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. meh whatever

49 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. No I hate/dislike it

23 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. Pho'ptimus Prime

Pho'ptimus Prime Mancave Spelunker TFW2005 Supporter

Up in (Canadian) Netflix, we only have RID up till season 3, episode 6 where Starscream attempts to power up from all of the minicons.

Slogging it out to 3rd season suggests I like it. I guess I do but I don't love it. There's enough decent animation and a storyline to keep things moving. I did miss out on whatever was going on with Megatronus as I wasn't paying much attention to the series at the end of season 1 (studying up on tattoo styles, flash, playing with robots, cooking, cleaning, etc...) As i'm not too invested in the series, I didn't rewatch any episodes. I'm generally okay with the sermons/teachings/takeaways at the end of the episodes. It doesn't bug me too much as long as I feel there's not too much holier-than-thou preaching on how to make amends with teammates, or learning from defeat in battle.

2. Nebokalypse

Nebokalypse Well-Known Member

Well, if this show is for "kids", what about "Rescue Force"? The "kids" have two shows, and "we" have to take, whatever?s thrown at us?

I mean, I was just reading CaptainSlayer's thread about watching TF Prime. Somewhere in this thread it was (again) mentioned, that the population of Jasper (or, even earth) was noticable absent, and/or oblivious to transforming robots... Well, this episode goes even further... we have a couple of Cosplayers (nothing wrong with that), who are playing some kind of live-RPG (with some kind of prejudice, but not to the extreme), who actually witness cybertronian lifeforms (or: robots, which at least are 6 meters tall, talk, act, and react, as "normal" beings, and at no point consider, that it a) wasn't part of a game, b) don't notice, that the "dragon", who was a part of the myth/legend of that island was 100% mechanic, and c) don't care, that they have two robotic liveforms (Bee, and *shudder* Fix-It) in front of them... Well, I Know, that NuRID is supposed to be "for youngsters" , BUT, I don't think, that kids (even nowadays, with all the mobile-stuff, etc) kids aren't aware, that the whole premise is kinda stupid. Well, we have "Team Bee", which consists of Bumblebee (the "hero of the young generation"), who has no carisma whatsoever, and seems more then incompetent, when it came to tactics, Grimlock, who doesn't seem to know, if he is actually learning some lessons, or still have to behave the was, he used to act, when the Autobots first met him. Then there's *shudder* Fix It... he's kinda competent, when it comes to technical quations, and to dig out backstories about the "villain of the week", but this character is so... well... Let's just say I hated him from the moment he first "stuttered"...It was painfull from the beginning,m and got wore with every episode he appeared in... As fo Danny, and Russel: Thay are okay/good, as far as humans are presented (even though, I`d still prefer the Sumdacs, Fowler, amd Miko.

• Like Like x 1
  3. francesco92

francesco92 Well-Known Member

Agree. I hate how kids show today treath kids as they were incompetents. Especially since being a 90s generation boy I grew up with much more mature and awesome kids shows

• Like Like x 3
  4. st.ranger

st.ranger Emperor of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked the show to Decepticon Island finale.

These six episode after with Starscream and minicons are not bad, but I do not feel connection with previous story line.

Combiner force boring me.

5. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

I fully agree with you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Yup.

Transformers is a kids property, the adult collector demographic is large, but it isn't one that largely focuses on cartoons anymore, (especially when the comics are geared almost specifically towards older audiences) and neither do the older age range of children. Cartoons themselves offer very few good action based shows these days, and most cartoons are adult comedies or very kiddie-looking shows for younger children. (That garner an older fan base often because the show has more sophisticated subtext under its childish and inoffensive art style, and these shows almost never support a consistent toy line)

That said, "it's for kids" isn't really an excuse for not being any good. Plenty of kids shows have been decent or more, whilst conforming to the awkward parameters of an action cartoon designed to push toys. RID is in an uncomfortable, unenviable position in these modern times. It's an old school concept as weird as it sounds, out of place in modern times. That said, it's had a really decent length to its run and has, IMO, been unremarkable. Even for a kids show.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think it's definitely LACKING; there's a lot less in terms of substance compared to previous entries. That goes for both the show AND the toyline.

That said, it's not without charms & there are definitely some enjoyable elements.

• Like Like x 1
  8. francesco92

Frankly I speak as an ignorant since I have no sons neither nephews and I don't know personally any children but.. do children today still watch cartoons? I mean the answer should be obvious but it seems to me that the newer generations of kids are so obsessed with growin up that they tend to abbandon watching cartoon and do other "children stuff" very soon in an effort to appear "mature". At least it seems that way where I live, I don't know if it is the same in America but animated series nowadays seems to be almost more watched by adults/teenagers rather than children.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I'm no expert (and don't have kids), but my guess is that kids just graduate up the "cartoon ladder" now. Like, as they get older they stop watching the more poorly written cartoons (which are usually, but not always, the ones aimed at very young kids) but keep watching the shows with better writing and animation.

I do suspect that there's a "cartoon drought" that hits in middle school, as that's the time period when kids are desperately trying to separate themselves from what they liked previously and act very grown up. Back in the 80s, in my school, it hit around 4th grade.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nebokalypse

Nebokalypse Well-Known Member

Well, I'm no expert either, but I, too, had this "cartoon drought" back in the day. In my case, axtually wathed certain cartoons until I was in my early 20s (afair it was "The Raccoons" when I was 22). From what I encountered (my GF has two "kids", which are now 21, and 19), the generation after me wasn't interested in story arcs (e.g. the Dinobots, or Insecticons in G1, or Beast Wars), or character-development (Beast Wars, and Beast Machines). They just watched the cartoons (in this particular case: Disney Cartoons, like Timon & Pumbaa, Alladdin, or Arielle) because they were short, funny, and featured characters, they already knew.

However... I would like to appologize for various errors (spelling, grammar, puncuation) in my previous post...
    I got so emotionallly agitated, that I couldn't even finish my "rant" about RID...
    Well, I already noticed, that Grimlock doesn't seem to remember any merits he may have learned from previous episodes, but this actually goes for everybody. I mean: Slipstream, and Jetstorm completed their training with Drift a long time ago. They just choosed to stay with Drift to learn even more. And up to this day, they are treated, as if they are new to... well... everything. Strongarm still comes up with rules, and protocols, even though, she should know by now, that being stranded on another planet calls for different approaches. If I were Bumblebee, I would have told her somewhere around the middle of the first season to stuff her "Sir", and "Lieutenant" where the sun doesn't shine... Granted, back in G1, Prime's comrades had been around for a long time, but it felt more natural for them to call him just "Optimus", or "Prime"- I mean: Imagine back in the day, if Ironhide, Wheeljack, or Ratchet would address Optimus only as "Sir", "Commander", "Chief", or something like that...

As for the "shuddering" about Fix-It... as I said, he may be somewhat competent, when it comes to technical stuff, and exposition, but every time he stutters/loop audios/gets his sentences wrong it makes me cringe... On one hand, we have "a" Bumblebee, who can't talk, since his voice-modulator was damaged/destroyed (TF Prime & the movies), wich is mostly hardware-dependent, but here, we have a simple bug in the software which causes this guy, to come up with utter nonsense (in a way, I think, this is just to fill the timeslot). I mean: Geeze: Just run a friggin' "defrag" on him, and you won't have to deal with this anymore... This "flaw" of Fix-It actually made me loathe that character sinmce the first episode.

Another thing, which I don't like (to put it midely) is: the steretypical "asian nija/samura potrayal of Drift. Yeah, he was presented like that in the Bay-movies, and Bludgeon wasn't any better in certain incarnations, BUT: For me, it just doesn't work... On one hand: yeah, we can have a "DJ"-Autobot to support the troops (Blaster), and yeah, not every Bot has to be the same, or ven believe in the same things/have the same goals... but a single Bot, based on n earthern culture, with a backstory of a couple of hundreds (if not thousands) of years.... sorry, I don't buy it.

Now, I'm up to my last "mayor" points...
    IF RID is truly a continuation of Prime... ans IF their are just a few years between Prime, and RID, how did Cybertron redevelop so fast? Ho could the meaning of "Decepticon" change so fast from "opposing faction" to plain "criminal"? How did the team of Prime get disregarded to the point, that they got "common jobs", like Lieutenant (bumblebee), or even sent on ungrateful jobs (Ratchet) within a couple of years?
    IF Rid takes place just a few years after Prime... Why don't they contact the autjorities? Even is Raf, Miko, or Jack are grown up now, or Fowler is retired... they should have some connections to the current authorities. So: Why not contact any of them? Why does Bumblebee insist, doing things on his own? At least "some people" already knew about Transformers, so why doesn't anybody use these resources?
    Why is (almost) any Decepticon kinda based on an animal (and has his/her own subgroup)? Yeah, there were Beastformers, back inthe day (again: Insecticons, Dinobots, nut also Terrorcons, Predacons, etc...), but there is absolutely no reason, why (almost) all of the criminals should be animal-/beast-based. Especially, if cerain Cons, are kinda Beast-based in their robot-form, but transform into "normal" vehicles... This is just stupid...

Agein: I am sorry, if I made any mistakes (grammar, or spelling), but after Animated, and Prime (and, yeah, I know, they are not without their own flaws) this show just makes me shiver/cring rvrn more, than the Takara-series...

• Like Like x 1
  11. francesco92

I think I belong to the same generation to the kids you mentioned (I'm now 24). Us 90s' kids were indeed not much interested in story arcs or character development, we just liked funny scenes and lot of action. My first approach with the Transformers was Beast Wars and I remember that I loved the idea of robots morphing into animals but at some point I'd give up on the series because I found it became too "complicated and boring". Now that I'm older I realize the series had a beautiful story arc and intriguing characters but you don't get it that much as a kid. You just remember the robots punching each other because that's what you wanna see. Pretty much we just liked the "toy commercials" aspects of the series. That said, most of 90s series had adult themes on it and they were still aimed at kids. Today the only way a show get a proper writing, character development and adult themes is if it aimed at teenagers (Star Wars Clone Wars or Voltron Legendary Defender for example). While children show of today like RID or Disney Junior series are just.. blanks.

Yes, I too believe that kids tends to do what older people do and that including either watching no cartoon or watching those with more adult themes. This is part of the reasons why animes and Futurama/The Simpsons were so successfuls in the 90s, they were seen as adult series. If that's the case, it was even a dumber idea by Hasbro to drop Transformers Prime for RID.

12. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Yeah, they are laying it rather thick in RID. I really don't like when lessons are shoehorned in cartoons. The usual mechanic is that a character's flaw causes trouble/problems and if it weren't for that the situation would not have place. It's a very artificial approach where you have to orchestrate a problematic situation instead of having it more naturally. Rescue Bots is doing it much better: instead of a character causing trouble because of their flaw, a character has trouble solving the situation because of that flaw. So instead of a character's lack of patience being a reason for creating a troublesome situation, a character has difficulties with solving the situation, because of their lack of patience. The end lesson is the same, but one situation has to be forced, the other comes naturally.

That's because the shows have different premises. TFP aimed for a more realistic approach, the point you brought up is not invalid, a total lack of human presence in a populated city comes as unnatural. Whether in RID, the total obliviousnes of people to Transformers is part of the show's comedy gag. I don't know if you are aware, but a lot of criticism you brought up in regards to RID characters can also be applied to TFP characters.

Hasbro is aiming their cartoons at young kids (age bracket 3-5 and 6-10, I think), because they are the most responsive group. Kids 11+ are looking for more mature shows in terms of presentation. A lot more 12 year olds would rather watch a Spider-Man live-action movie/tv show than an animated cartoon. It's partly a cultural thing: in the West, animated media is predominantly a children's property. Comic books were (or still are) in a similar boat in regards to public perception. Having a TF cartoon with more mature outlook would be terrific, but we can't expect Hasbro to drop a working business model for a bunch of die-hard fans. And despite how Japan is treating their animated industry, I would also not look for rescue in their direction. Most Japanese TF cartoons were also aimed at a very young demographic, the more mature mecha content is very human-focused (giant non-sentient human-piloted mecha - OK, giant sentient mecha - not OK). It's a tough nut to crack.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  13. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Decepticon

News Credits:
    My thoughts on RiD's latest season.

"Has Soundwave turned up yet? No? Will wait for the next ep then."

• Like Like x 1
  14. Autob ironhide

Autob ironhide Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't believe this crap took the place of Prime, the little kid tone has got to go.

• Like Like x 1
  15. francesco92

Honestly the last thing that I'd want is another Transformers anime. But I would love something like they did to Voltron with Legendary Defender.

16. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    My son loves this show, this is one of my least favorite shows for transformers but saying that its still a shit ton better then alot of tv shows on air at the moment.

i ended up picking up a bulk lot of its decepticons in a auction for the price of 3 deluxes had about 14 toys in it from the takara line, the toy line could be worked on, but im using the RID deceptecons as well grunts for my classics decepticons

17. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Yeah. Out of curiousity I wonder what demographic they are aiming for with VTLD? Young adults? Adults? I think Avatar: Legend of Korra had similar premise, but at some point got too dark and had to be moved from Nickelodeon. There's also animated Castelvania and Assasin's Creed in the works at Netflix aimed at adult audiences. I think that's some progress in breaking away from "animation is for kids" mindset in Western media. Hasbro's attempt at more mature animation is Combiner Wars, which will have sequels (according to Hasbro it was quite successful). While it may not be everybody's cup of tea, I support the attempt and hope that it will result in a permanent branch of Transformers animation aimed at older fans in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Sparkling Silver Wing

Instagram:
    I've only seen the first season, and it's okay. Nothing really great, but it wasn't so bad.

19. francesco92

Definitly teenagers/young adults like Star Wars Clone Wars and Avatar/Korra. That said, as our comrades previously said kids always tend to look at more mature series so I won't be surprised if the shows is watched by many kids. Which is ok and completely fine given how there is nothing too unappropriate for families. BTW as a kid I grew up watching much more sturner stuff such as Tiger Mask and Hokuto no Ken so western countries always underestimated children

I heard about Combiner Wars gettin an "official treathment" by Hasbro with real voice actors and better animation and I am very happy about it, it may be our chance of gettin a Transformers series who is not aimed at small kids only

20. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    I'm indifferent about it. I watched the first couple of episodes and gave up. A lot of people say the show has found itself since then, so maybe one of these days I'll watch it.

I just loved the animation and tone of Transformers Prime so much. It did not feel like a kids show - more like a SciFi original series. I miss that.

• Like Like x 1