Do People Actually Want Boxes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by WhiteMocha, Aug 29, 2007.

1. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not a MISB collector, but I find myself holding on to a lot of boxes nevertheless. I think it is because some figures have really nice packaging, and I just feel weird throwing it away. At any rate, I'm in the middle of a cleaning/culling of my collection, and I'm thinking of getting rid of a bunch of boxes.

Before I do so, though, I know lots of folks on this site DO display their toys in packaging, and occasionally I see lists of boxes in the sale/trade forum. Do people ever actually take these? Is it worth posting a list? The boxes I have aren't rare G1 boxes or anything... mostly reissues, e-hobby, Binaltech.... that kinda stuff.

I'd hate to throw away packaging if someone can get some use from it.

Thanks!

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I toss the plastic, cut it off the cards and store the boxes flat. All my packaging from BW-present fits in the cardboard box Brave Max shipped in! The only exceptions are the reissues. Now I'm in the process of selling off 100-200 toys, and I feel including that packaging adds value and they sell for more, even though the plastic's gone.

3. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

I trash all the plastic and twisty ties and cut off the back, save that part and the instructions to transform the character. Too bulky to keep all those boxes when i already opened the package..

4. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

I only keep Masterpiece boxes for storing and transporting. I need a MP-01 box if anyone has one.

5. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I have a 1/4 of a closet full of boxes (from the last 10 years of my collecting) of complete boxes... cardboard/twist-ties/plastic/etc... I like to be able to have the ability to display my figures "MIB" if/when I choose to do so (like I've done with my Pepsi Convoy, who's currently in his box on top of -MISB- Pepsi Optimus Prime).

Now, I'm an open-box collector... but it's neat to have an occasional 'mib' figure to display, plus it's a bit more 'impressive' for some of the more expensive figures... If I ever get rid of my boxes, it'll be the cheaper figure's boxes, and nothing G1 (or reissue) will leave...

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I keep Alt boxes (sans Sideswipe because it accidentally got thrown out), Reissue boxes (all those spare parts need a place to go), and import boxes (most of them are too pretty to throw out, others just because)... I save an occasional Domestic box that isn't an Alt/20th Prime... Mostly US only stuff.

7. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    All boxes and plastic that display toys are meant to make you want to open them. Once they're open, they've outlived their use. With the exception of the MP boxes, I throw all of them away.

Although, with a toy like Devastator and Soundwave, I keep those in their boxes because of the multiple pieces. But I always take them out and play with them.

8. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I only have a few Alt boxes that I thought were going to be/are rare, any exclusives, and Leader class and up. I only keep the box and any innards other than the wires that get tossed on the floor for my cat to play with until I sweep. If my house didn't have an attic I would just pitch everything.

9. VE Telus

VE Telus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like keeping the boxes for when I move. It's a real comfort knowing your toys are transported safely, rather than in a Rubbermaid bin.

10. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

I used to keep every box then I got smart and saw how stupid the room with them looked and how much wasted space it was taking up. Thank goodness.

11. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

I keep the MP and Reissue boxes, I recycle the rest. Most of my Alt's plastic "bubbles" are all bunched together inside my MP-04 box.

12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to flatten the boxes, but it was still taking up too much room. Now I just cut out the bio and the box art and chuck the rest. Some reissue boxes I still save everything.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I only keep Import, Alternators, and Prime boxes. Why I keep my prime boxes I don't know since thats the aspect of my collection I never intend on selling.

14. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ive started keeping the cards for the carded figures starting with classics because they don't take up that much space (I have them in a drawer in my room) And ive keep most of the boxes for the movie figures and a few classics. But I really want to get rid of them or put them in storage soon.

15. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

I keep 99.9% of my TF's MISB. That percent will probably drop when I get around to opening some of my doubles up.

16. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    All G.1 boxes I keep and collect. Also for the masterpieces (opened my 20th anniv. Prime today). The rest i throw out or at least keep card backings.

17. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll only keep vintage boxes and Japanese boxes because they always looks cool!

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    With the exception of a few Tfs I had as a kid, I have the packaging for every single TF I own.

19. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I say pure love to vintage G1 boxes and screw everything else (except maybe the odd ehobby release).

20. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

I once saw an auction for the plastic bubble for Astrotrain go for over a hundred dollars.

Yes, if it exists then somebody will pay obscenely for it.

And I'll usually keep MP, Reissue, Revoltech, and special boxes but I would never actively seek boxes to buy.