Do or don't the Constructicon toys combine?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ra88, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yes, yes, another Constructicon thread, but the following post on 4chan's /toy/ got me thinking:

We all know that, while debatably a crappy figure, Demolisher is incredibly versatile, with his parts able to move practically anywhere. But could it form a torso? I went through all pics of Demolisher that I had, and looked at a few of the Devastator pics, and decided to figure out if it is possible, a difficult task without not actually having the toy in hand.

[​IMG]

However, both possibilities wouldn't leave for sturdy legs, or even arm positions. I looked at the promo pic for clues, and then saw the following:

[​IMG]

A mysterious 7th component, of which I honestly can not see what it is, and which is NOT Demolisher, which is listed as another component (namely the torso piece). This fits with the TFW Insider's reports, who said that there were 7 vehicles, and this would supposedly be the giant dump truck...But the shapes don't add up. Yet you can see it all over the body: a mystery yellow piece on the back, below the red parts of the torso, and maybe even the yellow shoulder joints.

The mystery Constructicon could be the vital component, the true core piece. It could be a voyager onto which Demolisher fits, which could have holes for Demolisher's pegs to fit into, and which would supply the arm joints and hip joints.

Thoughts?

2. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You a /toy/ soldier Ra88? Lol.

I really hope the individual bots can combine, but I'm very prepared to be disappointed. There are definanty some strange parts on the toy, but only time will tell.

3. tomdom69

tomdom69 Well-Known Member

there was a pic from the second set of pics. where it was in a semi robot mode with the 2 tracks in track mode facing down. something like that but upside down maybe.

4. tomdom69

tomdom69 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

like this but upside down

the two flaps above its head would connect to the legs

mixmaster would fit between the tracks

5. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    They're not going to combine, I'll just call it now. But I'll be damned if that's going to stop me from fuqqing trying. I'll probably go so far as to buy doubles for KB experimentation.

6. Magnimus

Magnimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they could combine, you don't think Hasbro would be trumpeting that fact from the heavens 24 hours a day?

They have to know we want robots that combine, that's what's in the movie, and they have probably read all the negative criticism about a nontransforming Devastator even before the Toyfair pics.

It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't tell us. Not in their monetary interests.

As such, we ain't gonna get combining constructicons that also have robot modes.

7. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They will not transform to robots.

Which is bullshit.

8. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    completely true...Fuck they might as well make devastator a happy meal toy...christ..vehicles that for a larger robot that do not transform....

they did that shit already...it was called voltron....

hasbro fucked the donkey on this one...

9. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll wait and see if Hasbro do a Robot Replica... exactly the same limitation as Supreme Devy, but at a fraction of the price!

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I had to hazard a guess, that "7th component" is a backhoe. The word "BACK" is clearly visible, followed by a couple of spaces and then an "E". Not sure if the outline is correct for that kind of vehicle, though.

And both Rampage and Demolishor both seem to have enough flexibility and moving parts that I could easily see them shifting around to combine.

No.

Let's assume the individual, transforming, Constructicons do combine. Hasbro thus has two Devastator sets: One made up of individual release Constructicons that have robot, vehicle and combiner piece forms. The second is made up of Constructicons that have vehicle and combiner piece forms only (what we've seen so far, let's call it Set B). Hasbro wants to sell both sets. So do they...

(a) ...announce right now that the individual Constructicons actually can combine when all seven are eventually collected, thus removing any demand whatsoever for Set B? Because, really, if we knew for certain at this point that the seven individual figures combine, is there anyone in their right mind who would actually buy Set B? Many collectors already aren't fond of it and a lot of kids would probably also want the individual pieces since they transform.

or...

(b) ....not make a big deal (right now, at least) about the fact the individual figures can combine, thus ensuring a market for Set B? If Hasbro doesn't announce the individual figures can combine, there will be enough people who decide "this is the only way I'll get Devastator" and buy Set B. There will also be kids who want a Devastator and ask for Set B from their parents, as well as people who just break down and buy the thing because it's there. Also note that the individual Constructicons are being released slowly, over at least two waves (likely more). So, Hasbro holds off on announcing that the individual pieces combine until the last 1 or 2 Constructicons come out (and maybe the combination instructions are only included with the last Voyager component). This gives enough time for them to have made some money from Set B being on the market, but they can also sell the set of the individual Constructicons. Instead of selling one set of Devastator for ~$130, they'll have sold two sets for ~$250 for the pair. Yes, not everyone will buy both, but there'll be enough.

Beyond that, has everyone forgotten the Premium Series debacle from the first movie line? Where Hasbro had superior versions of some figures, but didn't announce them until everyone had already purchased the original versions?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  11. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

I hate to sound like a prick here...but hasn't this already been answered many times over?
    I loathe this devestator toy as much as the next guy, but do we really need a ton of seperate threads on it?

12. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is what I was thinking. Hasbro wants money, and if they keep the combining hush-hush, they will make tons of it.

13. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There DO seem to be some otherwise useless mystery parts on the power shovel.

And the big combiner does completely omit one of the vehicles. So it's possible we're not getting the whole story. I certainly hope that's the case.

14. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

There are otherwise useless parts on TFU Galvatron as well.

15. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

Agreed. :( 

Weren't the Premium versions just repaints?

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes (except for Leader Prime); I was just using it as an example of Hasbro doing a double-dip in the Movie series once already.

17. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    very well said, and my thoughts exactly.

18. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    This. I'll make the attempt.

19. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    Your logic is compelling and seductive. I'd kind of resigned myself to the impossibility of a properly transforming Devs, but this has reminded me that there are a number of unanswered questions about the toys we've seen. What did become of the seventh Constructicon, the backhoe, who's been mentioned in almost all of the leaked Devastator news up to this point, and who is indeed included in the ILM render? Why does the Voyager Demolishor contain so many superfluous rotation and connection configurations despite his ludicrously simplistic robot mode? And did anyone actually ever confirm the non-combinability of the individual robots?

Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but I do get the feeling that there might be more to come on this...

20. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits: