Do Not Buy NBA Live 07 For The 360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not only is every site ripping it to shreds, but there are so many glitches it's not even funny. Check out This Letter. At the bottom is a list of YouTube videos filled with the ridiculous glitches. Some are outright hilarious.

For those that don't want to click the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCif0ZGH8Nc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7rQaoNHu0A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBGEJUww9ck
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvnv4rCtm2Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS_N9jwmeA8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rTthKlwIAo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFqTNcVPktc

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You know for every graphical step forward for a franchise, they seem to take two or three steps back overall.

These are just silly.

3. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Yep EA is getting really bad on their sports stuff. I was playing the NCCA Football game and a pass hit the ground bounced into a defender's hands and was ruled an interception.

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

This is why I always go 2K series without question.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

If you don't already know EA makes crap, you deserve what you get ;) 

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hmm yeah... EA games mostly blow chunks... they're all about the money, and all the yearly games are particularly bad. I remember NFS: Underground and the little boxes that surrounded all the cars in the distance. And the shoddy XBOX frame rate.

Those bugs are pretty horrific though, don't games get passed through QA anymore?

What gets me though, is I was talking to a friend who is a Dad, and he reckons FIFA is a total rip, his son insists on buying it year after year, and he's sick of forking out for the same game every year.

He's not a gamer, but he's getting to be one very frustrated consumer.

7. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From an insider's point of view.

QA problem like this can't always be blamed on the QA staff. The developers make the descision if a bug gets fixed or not. The closer a game gets to the shipping date, the more bugs get shipped. For EA, its not about quality. Its about making the ship date and looking good because of that. As long as a game doesn't crash, they don't care if theres problems with animations not appearing correctly.

Having worked on a QA team, alot of bugs like those are always found around the time a game gets to alpha. But alot of times, the dev team doesn't have all the content into the game by alpha. Basically, all content should be in by alpha, and dev should be fixing bugs QA finds. That rarely happens, and the dev team will keep putting new things into a game before, or after it gets to Beta. This scews with the QA team, because theres more bugs to find, with less time, do to the shipping date approaching.

My opinion on this game, I still think it sucks since I last played it two months ago. :D 

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    it seems to be getting more and more common with more and more games. I remember my Tiger Woods 05 having unREAL glitches, like the character folding in half, and just twitching... kinda hard to judge partial swings and the like when you can see any movement! The copy of Lego SW II that I rented had a ton of retarded glitches too, most of them causing me to have to exit out of a level and play it all over again :mad 

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Lucky for me, I don't like basketball games... Gimme baseball or football though...

I was a game tester for Konami when I first finished highschool and was getting ready for college and it amazes me that these errors weren't corrected...

Whenever we caught an error, we'd have to run frequency tests to make sure that the error will repeat itself and log it down to be corrected by the QA staff... And all of the errors we caught were fixed... No questions asked...

10. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    The only EA games I've ever really liked are Burnout Revenge(PS2) and Hot Wheels Turbo Racing(N-64). They are also the only EA games I decided to buy. Simpsons Road-Rage(PS2) and 007 Nightfire(PS2) were given to me as Christmas gifts. In my opinion.....they are just "ok." Everything else that I have tried (rented from BlockBuster) from them sucks. HARD.
    From my experiences, the only EA games I would recommend to anyone would be ^Burnout Revenge & Hot Wheels Turbo Racing. Try them, you may want to buy them.

11. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    It's shit like this why I'm not really involved in gaming anymore. I still follow the industry a little, but after the complete and utter pile of lshit that was Battlefront II, I gave up. PC gaming went down the "release now, patch later" road. I knew it was only a matter of time before consoles did the same thanks to hard drives. Looks like EA will be leading the charge.

12. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I laughed my ass off when I read that "letter".

News flash: EA DOESN'T CARE. They've NEVER cared. If they could get away with it, they'd E-mail every single one of you a giant rolleyes smiley, followed by a giant middle finger. That's how they roll. If you're dumb enough to buy their sports games every year, you deserve what you get.

Also, all the comments about the QA and development process in this thread are 100% true. It's not that testers don't find bugs -- it's that they don't get fixed, and 99.99999999% of the time, that's a function of resources, which in turn is a function of the development schedule -- which is almost always a train wreck.

EA likes shipping crap. They're a prime supporter of the "ship first, patch later" philosophy, though I can't remember if they've ever shipped a zero-day patch (i.e. a patch on the DAY the game ships). They do it because it makes them the kind of money they want. If it didn't, they might reconsider. (HINT.)

-XCN-

13. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

I prefer to remember the EA of yore that gave me Archon, Archon II, The Bard's Tale, and Pinball Construction Set.

14. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    [​IMG]

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, the most buggy game I've played (perhaps ever) is Star Wars Lego 2 for the DS. You can't get all the secrets because certain levels aren't completable (in free play) and other secrets are dependent on secrets unlocked in that level. Oh and WIFI play between DS's is all but impossible, thanks to the bugs. What a feature, you'can't even use it!

An no one patches a hand held game.

From what I remember, not that many games on Xbox needed patching... content update yes, but not actual bug fixing. I do remember EA games shipped with bugs though, but they weren't patched (until next years release). EA really need to get taught a lesson here.

Games retailers should stock up on a few EA games, but on upon sale mention the bugs and glitches and then recommend something else.

'Yes I know your son wants to play FIFA 07, but I think he'll enjoy Pro Evolution Soccer/a kick in the head more!'

16. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Glad I don't buy EA sports games anymore. 2Ksports has been good to me.