Do Movies influence Purchases?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Does watching movies influence your purchasing of certain toys?
    I was watching Iron Man 2 last night for the third time and I loved it so much, I had to get me an Iron Man action figure. Posted pics of it in the Toy Ark thread.

Being a fan of many sci-fi and action movies, I'm very tempted to expand my toy collection past Transformers. I'm tempted to get more Iron Man toys, BTTF toys, A-Team's van, Batman toys, The Matrix toys, and a few Robocop toys. Maybe even some Star Wars stuff as well.

Naturally, space limitations aside, but seriously. Have you been influenced by movies to purchase toys you probably wouldn't have before? Or does the addiction of one group of toys, leads you to add other series to the collection?

2. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    For me yes, coz when you watch a certain movie like Transformers or Iron Man, you really amaze how they look. Then you will realize how they gonna look in the toy mold, your like 'wow I need to get this one!' I feel so much joy whenever a bought one, haha. Especially Transformers.

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Absolutely. I tend to only get stuff which I'm familiar with the source material of.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A little. I got the A-team van and two figures mainly due to my fondness for the original series. I got a few Iron Man figures and GI joe figures now and then. Depends on the figure.

TFs it is pretty much a mold completion thing. Need one of every mold, may get a repaint if it is a significant character like Drift ---> Blurr or Sideswipe and Sunstreaker classics. Others I can pass on.

5. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Collecting Transformers is a given considering we're all in this board. I'm talking about other series. The Matrix, Robocop, etc.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Guilty. And it's not just movies that sway me.

7. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Rarely. My list of non-transformers toys is short.

5 mcfarlane Akira figures
    3 Starwars figures
    2 Invader Zim sets (one was a gift or I wouldn't have any)
    1 mcfarlane Spawn figure
    2 Indiana Jones heros packs (I wanted the snakes from them)

That's it. The last time I made a non-transformers purchase was the I.J. toys when Crystal Skull came out.

8. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Not really. It's my opinion that movie toys always blow. Transformers included. The only toy line based on a movie that is an exception is Star Wars.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

They usually inspire me to spend some cash.

Remember passing on the Tumbler many times before seeing Batman.
    After the movie, went straight to TRU.

10. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    totally. after watching How to Train Your Dragon, i wanted a Toothless toy soooooooo badly!

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Totally,

Not just movies but games as well.

12. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    This.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    After I showed the wife The Big Lebowski she went on a rug buying spree on craigslist.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, absolutely not. Now, if you'll excuse me, I just finished re-watching I, Robot on my JVC television, so I'm going to have a refreshing Ovaltine and Dos Equis cocktail, then strap on my 2004 Converse All-Stars and drive my Audi down to the FedEx store.

Seriously, though, I've never purchased toys or merchandise (TF stuff aside) because of a movie. I did collect Evangelion Revoltechs for awhile because the original series, and collected GL figures until recently because of the GL comic, but nothing linked to a movie.

15. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Yep for some reason everytime I watch Star Wars or any of the original trilogy I wanna buy more Storm Troopers to crush the rebels and more clones to destroy droids....and crush the Jedi....

And after watching the Macross II and Robotech Shadow Chronicles that always sends me into a frenzy of wanting more Macross stuff....and that gets pricy.

[Same for when I watch Macross Frontier that gives me a crazed obsession to get a VF-25]

Everytime I watch Star Trek, I feel I gotta get some more Trek stuff but then I realize I already have the Trek stuff I want......after all watching the Movies and a certain ep that features a fuzzy thing called a Tribble which makes me wanna buy a dozen of the little furry things to have in a pile.......yep....

16. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

TF toys are the only toys that I collect. Now other merchandise like posters, shirts, shotglasses, whatever; yes, movies can impact my purchases. There's only one movie that I have a serious collecting addiction to though, and that's Boondock Saints.

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Market research says yes.

18. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

When I was a kid, yes. I got my parents to get me toys from nearly every movie that had a line to support them. As an adult, ironically no. It's a rare day when I buy toys for comic movies (Iron Man being a rare exception), and I've never bought a toy for any other non-comic based movie that has a line supporting it since Star Wars: AOTC. While movie toys can be cool, they most always end up being purchases I'll regret years down the road.

19. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think I've ever been persuaded to buy anything based on a movie. At least, not in recent memory. Unless you count the last two Transformers movies, though certainly not the '86 movie as I was about 4 months old when they came out. I have to be influenced to a pretty significant degree before I start buying into a franchise. Transformers is a no-brainer, as that was a big chunk of my childhood.

20. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Yes. I got myself two Iron Man 2 figs because of the movie, and watching the first two TF movies made me want to own a few of those toys I saw on the big screen. But I tried to rein in my spending so I was as crazy about movie merchandise as I was few years back.