Do MISB Collectors care about reviews of toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Jan 25, 2011.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    A thought just came to me, so I just wanted to ask the question...

If you are not reselling the toy, and you are an MISB collector, why would you care about reviews if you are never going to open the toy? You will collect them for their looks right? Articulations, playability, those won't ever get shown or dealt with anyways if its MISB all the time, so I was just wondering... MISB collectors, by logic, should not be affected by a good or bad review, if they don't resell, right?

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I never thought about that but i dont see them needing reviews. Maybe i am wrong,

3. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always need reviews to find out if I need to buy 2, 1 to open 1 to keep MISB.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    So that means that for the MISB portion of your collecting you have no need for reviews right?

5. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I double up one to keep misb and 1 to open so yeah I like reviews also to see if they are worth getting the 2nd one to open

6. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Of corse I do, I need a review for most everything, for instance I had no desire to buy 2010 unicron until I watched the review..100 times lol.

Then i got 1, not 2.

7. StephX77

StephX77 Well-Known Member

I always think that one day I will open all my MISB toys and line em up for a battle scene like I did when I was a kid. This will in all likleyhood never happen but somewhere in my heart it is always a possibility. SO the figure quality is important to me some day.

8. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^This, probably.

I'm not a MISB collector but a good chunk of my collection is MISB because of lack of room and time. I guess it just depends on whether MISB collectors collecting the figures like the fact that it's minty new in box AND knowing that it has a cool transformation/articulation/gimmick.

EDIT: So in fact, MISB collectors care even more about the reviews of toys because they won't personally be able to figure out which figure is cool. =P

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I don't know if I can agree with that logic though, about caring more. Because whether or not a figure is cool is now all in the minds right? Its not going to be loose, or dynamically posed. Its going to sit in its default condition. So the judgment should be the default conditions?

I can accept the "knowing" aspect for reason, though. Its just kinda weird.

10. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    absolutely this :) 

11. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

I don't really base my purchases off reviews. If I want it, I want it. Like the new Wheeljack, who the hell cares about reviews I WANT HIM. Even though he will likely be in his plastic prison for a long time and I will just have to gaze at him inside the package, when I get him in my hands I will be happy. When I look at him in my collection I will still smile.

If something comes out that I am on the fence about the reviews will play a bigger part.

12. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Though I don't keep my TFs MISB, I do collect Masters of the Universe Classics, for which I do. I like the reviews because it gives me a chance to see them "in action" and check out their features without having to open them up.

13. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

While this thread is on the topic of MISB collectors i have a question for you MISBers. What do you do about figures that have batteries in them. I mean you cant leave them in long term cause they will eventually leak. So do those figures become MIB only opened once?

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

If you take the batteries out you're not a MISB collector.

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    lol its like "I am only an MIB collector?" one grade down?

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

:lol  I can just imagine in about 20 years a MISB holding his sealed ROTF leader Prime and screaming "NOOOOOOOOO!" as he slowly watches the battery acid leak out all over the figure and inside of the box, tragically unable to do anything about it.

17. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Funny, I have several MISB battery included toys nearly 20 years old and no problems. I pulled my Shackwave and vintage Omega Supreme out of my attic 20 years later and the ancient radio shack batteries had no problems, Shackwave's batteries still worked! I doubt anything that leaked would make it out of the battery cover, especially in temperature controlled environments.

18. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The truth is, TF's toys very very rarely live up to there boxart or in some cases the excitement of owning the new/reissues/original g1 Figure. Sometimes its even a let down.
    So reviews help me decide which to display in boxes and which to open up.

Most of the FAN Projects stuff I have one opened and one or two sealed.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    The problem is that there is a mix of Nickel based battery AND lith. battery in TF's. Some type last better than others, but we had a thread about this already.

20. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have a original omega supreme batteries were in him for 15 years before I pulled my tfs outta my parents attic suprisingly no leakage electronics still work..so imma chance my rotf devy prime and megs and not open. Them to take out the batteries. Im not selling them so if they leak they leak!