Do kids these days enjoy G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BigRC83, Jul 29, 2008.

1. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Do kids enjoy the G1 toys and cartoon? Or do they think it's lame?

2. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I have a 8 year old niece and a 5 year old nephew and when they come to visit me they always want to play with transformers. I have transformer toys from over 6 different lines and when they get the chance to pick any couple toys to play with they ALWAYS choose beast wars, and G1. They dont even look twice at the alternators, titaniums, beastmachines, cybertron, or any other line.

So in my case, kids these days love G1 and Beast wars figures. They have a lot more trouble transforming the beast wars though and usually stick to the G1 figures. This def suprised me, but thats how it is at my house

3. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Kids like the newer toys better. Any ststement to the contrary is an attempy to sway current opinion and is commentary that the "new" lines "suck".

Of course children wan the larger, more colorful, and more engaging toys on the market today. All praises be to the great and glorious G1 Optimus Prime toy, but any of the Armada, Energon, or Cybertron Primes outclass the G1 figure on face value. They're bigger, more articulated, have more features, have lights and sounds, and have some engaging aspect (mini-cons, cyber keys, something that the child does with the toy).

Now, none of this is to say that children do not like G1. The cartoon still holds up very well in comparison and the toys will still catch attention as well. It's just that, by comparison, kids will choose the modern incarnations every time.

4. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

My nephew likes em all. I bought him Gen1 season 1 a few years ago and he watched it to death. When the classics came out he bought almost all of em! Now he loves Animated and the 07 Movie toys just as well. He likes Beast Wars too but doesnt have any toys since they are not availible anymore.

5. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My brother likes the G1 cartoon & wants to play with my G1 toys, but it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens(he's usually careful but he just broke my Movie Stockade as soon as the movie lines dissapeared for shelves).

6. Wazzpinator

Wazzpinator is playin ODST

Eh, My little Brother is the only one who listens to my news. He thinks Beast Wars is ok, and He says he loves G1. He's seen the G1 Movie like, more than 3 times. But he doesn't share my love of Hot Rod.

7. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Really? just how does a 6 year old tell if a toy is new or old?

I have everything setup in my room Classics, Beast Wars, G1 and Animated. My daughters friends and my 2 nepews will go for the G1 stuff everytime but of course they don't get to touch.

When they see Predaking, Piranacon, Bruticus, Omega Supreme and the Dinobots it's game over for the other stuff. Not even a close competition.

Now if I had Ben 10 or Pokemon stuff then the G1 stuff doesn't stand a chance. That stuff blows Transformers away to kids, period.

8. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

Damn straight! Pikachu > G1! :lol 

9. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    It's obvious through your personal example story of exactly why Hasbro has brought back G1 with its extensive reissue line and let things that are blatently different (like Animated and the Movie Line) fall into the obscurity of the clearance aisle...

...in Bizzaro World.

10. Mal

Mal Web Head

Same for me too. My cousins kids like the G1 toys a lot more than any other line. My guess is that they have realistic looking car models. Avery, my cousin's son loves the original G1 Optimus Prime toy the best.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not trying to make any sweeping generalizations here, but any possibility here kids go for the Gen 1 toys here because:

* They are different than the toys the kids arleady have, or are used to seeing.

* They are being put on conspicuous display.

* They are "not allowed" to touch them.

Just a thought.

12. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Ohhh Ohhh I see what you did there. The Bizarro statement meaning what you said but backwards, very clerver....oooooo very clever....you must be going places.

Damn, foiled AGAIN!!! You caught us. My whole story and the others people told before mine were all an elaborate conspiracy to put down all transformer lines except G1. Yes, yes I know what you are thinking, silly, huh? But, we all have nothing better to do with our time but to put down all other lines as G1 to us is the only line that has ever been fit to be dubbed transformers. Please haha.

What's obvious is you clearly have no idea what kids are into these days. The point of the thread was to ask if kids were into G1 stuff and you come back with broad generalizations of "Kids like the new toys better" and such and turn it into G1 vs. Animated again.

It's a cartoon, it's robots, there is fighting. Most kids love that stuff.

13. sixshot2K

sixshot2K Soundwave is #1!

I have no way of knowing Im the only person I knwo who wacthes the show

14. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    You make a few false statements their which has been proven false by my niece and nephew

#1 "Any ststement to the contrary is an attempy to sway current opinion and is commentary that the "new" lines "suck"."

Wrong I was simply responding to the question from my experience with young kids

#2 "It's just that, by comparison, kids will choose the modern incarnations every time."

I didnt say they like all generation 1 toys better - but they could have chosen several cybertron toys, alternators, beast machines, and instead they chose a few select beast wars and g1 toys - i can post what i have if that will provide you more proof

Wrong This has also been proven wrong in my experience with young kids

15. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Before I moved, my neighbor's 10-year old son would not stop looking at my G1s that I would have on my desk, particularly liked my Wheeljack. I told him that he needs to be gentle with it or he would have to pay the amount of money for me to get a new one.

16. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    You are right the first optimus had no fancy gadgets all though his trailer had the car eject thing

But I did not claim my relatives chose the G1 Optimus - I simply said they randomly picked out G1 toys with no knowledge of which toys belong to which lines or which ones are oldest etc.

I am starting to question how old you are or if you ever had G1 toys - You mention being bigger, mini cons, sounds, and lights

G1 had all of these things

Bigger Omega Supreme, Metroplex, Fortress Maximus, Scorponok, Trypticon, Powermaster Prime, All the Gestalts, Skylynx

Mini-Cons The entire G1 powermaster and headmaster lines

Lights and Sounds All the Sparkabots, Galvatron

Movement Twintwist, Topspin, Triggerbots, Trypticon

Heck they even had a real working microscope

I could keep going but hopefully you realize how ignorant your comment makes you sound

17. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    It took you over an hour to come up with three seperate posts in response to mine.

Your arguments are superficial at best. You're stating the obvious in referencing the gimmicks that G1 had. We all know those things. My statement was that modern toys do all of these things better.

No, please do keep going. The more you argue your point of the supremecy of G1, the more you support my stance that this is nothing more than a backdoor method for presenting the ole' "Gee-WUNer" bit.

For the record your Collection Count in your Avatar reads: "Collection Count: 153 (only G1, and Classics though)" Lack of perspective much?

From the beginning I stated that the modern toys are flat out superior 'toys' and that children have every reason (by design) to choose the modern over the new.

Saying that 'kids prefer the old stuff, I've seen it!'..., well, like I said before, if that were the case we'd be seeing G1 Reissues all over the place. It's not.

18. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Did you ever think that maybe I am at work, or working around the house and not sitting at the computer dedicating my entire day to this thread - I simply check every hour or so to see if anything catches my eye - Again you being ignorant

I never argued that G1 are superior toys, again a bad assumption by you. I do not feel the G1 toys are superior at all, I think the modern toys are superior. You forget that this thread was bout if kids play with G1 toys still ALL I SAID was that the kids I am around do still choose some of the G1 toys over modern toys, I NEVER said the G1 toys were better, simply that some of them still interest kids that know nothing about the different lines. Please dont put words into my mouth that were never said.

That was my collection when I first joined this website. You may find this strange but I have bought more since then. I have since built up my collection with Cybertron, Titanium, Alternators, Beast Machines, and Beast Wars figures. I am sorry I am not up on updating my profile every time i buy a new toy

Isnt the whole classic/universe line basically reissues of G1???

19. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    There I updated my profile for you, heaven forbid I not be up to the minute on my count etc

20. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits: