Do kids still get excited over TFs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by flywheels, Apr 17, 2007.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It seems that most of us here on the boards are "older" and we all grew up with some sort of Transformers brand...but how many have children or see kids (10 & under?) in the stores or in your neighborhood play with or get excited about TFs?

My wife is a 2nd grade teacher and she awards her kids w/ wooden tokens for good behavior and such. Usually once a week she'll open her little store and let them buy stuff. Last year while @ Botcon we purchased about 10 packs of the Cybertron Mini-Cons for her classroom. We also got several of the freebie keychains and tattoos from Hasbro's table. Who knew they would be such a big hit w/ the kids?! Even the girls were buying the TF related items.

For my wife's class this year, I decided to pick up some of the new Classics Mini-Cons along with giving her several of the basic sized Cybertron toys that didn't sell here on the boards. Same result, the kids went crazy for them. Upon learning the my wife wanted to buy a house and sell our townhome, I started selling off even more stuff from my various toy collections and giving her more toys for her shop. Somewhere along the way I had picked up an extra Cybertron Hot Shot and it got 'lost' in all of the mess I called my toy room. So, off it went with my wife. Later in the week when she told me about the kid who bought the toy I couldn't help but laugh a little and smile. She said the boy was the center of attention that afternoon on the blacktop. All the kids quickly surrounded around him to watch him open Hot Shot and try to transform him. Wish I could be there firsthand to see these kid's reactions.

One last thing I thought was absolutely hilarious that my wife told me...she took our video camera in to school right before Christmas to have the kids make a video to send to her brother who's serving in Iraq. The kids got into small groups to act out a skit that they created. One boy started his skit out by holding up a piece of notebook paper w/ the Transformes logo that he drew. He even had it labeled as "More Than Meets the Eye" with Autobot and Decepticon logos on each side! And to top things off he was humming the old G1 theme song! His skit was nothing more than 2 boys play fighting, but then he suddenly falls to the floor, curls his legs & feet up and wrap his arms and hands around his head. He starts to move his lower body while making a car sound. He then looks up to his partner and the camera to inform them both that he just transformed! This kid is a 2nd grader and he knows more about TFs than some of us "older" folks do!

I just thought it was really cool to see kids get excited about Transformers. I usually see several younger kids @ Botcon each and every year, but outside of that I only see kids running over to the Power Rangers, Ben10 and other toys in the toy aisles. Hopefully others have similiar stories and out favorite brand of toys will endure over the years and it will continue to have a bright future.

2. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Not like some of us in the past I think. For me was a total shock in the beginning. Now things are completely different you know. The glorious 80's are gone =(

3. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I STILL get excited over a new Transformer. *looks around*

Just ask anybody whose been with me at Botcon. :lol  If I find something new and unique I'm all giddy and let everybody know. :redface2: 

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The look of absolute "WHOAH!" on my nephews' faces when they saw my Blackout testshot says yes.

5. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

YES they do!

When my 7 year old nephew gets a Transformer or transformer related thing he gets so excited. It is amazing. When he got the Transformers Ghosts of Yesterday book from the Easter Bunny he was a very happy kid, and he started reading it to me (and did very well, for a 7 yr old, with an adult book). He reads it all the time now.

6. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Yeah my 7 year old nephew loves em. I got him into them when he was 4 and this year for his birthday he called me with his TF wishlist lol. Classic Grimlock was #1 on his list!

7. Borgiwan

Borgiwan Active Member

My students love the fact that I still collect them. Even got some for my birthday from the little buggers. Even a few get up early to watch cybertron on CN in the morning.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Well, one of my kid's friends is having his sixth birthday party on Saturday.
    When I asked him what he wanted for his birthday I got an emphatic: TRANSFORMERS!

My kid gets excited about them, too. But he doesn't see a real need to get the toys himself because he can play with mine.

9. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    My 6 year old nephew (on my wife's side) loves them. He actually asked me the other day if I was going to go to the new movie, apparently he is going. I didnt have the heart to tell him that it's going to be PG-13, he was so excited.

My other 6 yr old nephew (on my side) loves TFs as well, I usually get him at least 1 or 2 for Christmas or his B-days.

10. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not too long ago I was in Toys R Us and some kid about 6 or 7 I would guess, was hopping with excitment shouting to his mom that he wanted an Optimus Prime. I got a tear in my eye.

11. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    My son, my nephew, and 2 god sons go freakin' NUTS over Transformers (Though for some damn reason thay all love ARMADA of all things...any robot tehy don't know the name of immediately becomes a Minicon :lol  They also have a pretty strange assortment of 'bots...every time I buy a "lot" of TF's I split them up between my son & nephew...

12. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    My little brother is in the 7th grade, but most of his neighborhood friends are younger than that. They'll see me looking at pictures of new figures (movie, classics, titanium, etc.) and they'll drop the occasional "WHOA!" or "Oh, I so want that!", etc.
    So yeah, I'd say Hasbro's doing a good job of pleasing the kiddies.
    DN

13. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

Yeah i still see kids get excited over TF at store and that ,some alot more then others. Also there was a women i went to school with and her 2 boys were crazy for them she was telling me and when I meet them, they had so many questions about all my collection.

14. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    It has been my experience that Alot of kids today have become to lazy to want to bother transforming a toy.......They just want a video game of it!!!

15. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

First of all, that is an adorable story and heartwarming and just makes this hobby seem all the more better.

Second, yes I think it does. I once went over to a friend's house and had the Laserbeak that came with Cybertron Soundwave in my pocket. One of the kids in her tutoring class and I started talking back and forth, nothing intuitive just big brother fun banter, when I pulled out Laserbeak and he was immediately fascinated even though all it did was turn into a hexagon pod. He kept transforming it back and forth and every time he did it he had this awe-struck look in his eyes like it was the coolest thing in the world.

The idea is novel in itself and it was born to create nostalgia in kids of all ages, whether it be G1, RID, or etc.

And since the kids are attracted by the novelty of transforming robots they can, when they get older, can look back at the history of transforming robots going back to G1 and then seeing how their Transformers have roots and that they evolve with new designs and joints. This line is so unique in that the toys have character and even can be traced back to roots as old as 20 years back and even more if they count Diaclone. Transformers has the amazing trait that it will always be a bigger world than any other toyline.

16. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I sometimes see kids try and explain it to their parents, I look at the adults and tell them what the future can hold :D 

17. Zathu Koon

Zathu Koon Member

Great story. Man, I haven't seen any kids interesting in Transformers in years. :( 

18. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ...excited ? Sure. The other day i saw a kid begging his mother (I assume it was his mother) for Classics Megatron.

He also had to deal with disappointment She said no.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Well Not really Here but a Girl in my Class Ashley her Younger Brother Collects Transformers Unless if Owning only E.Mirage and C.Hot Shot is one?

Once i helped a Parent with Choosing Transformers,Like one time at Zellers,A Kid wanted the Shadow Recon Minicons but his Mom Wasn't too sure on That but i told her They were Repaints,I still don't know if she bought it?

Now The Only people in My Class are My Friends Brad(Minicon Fan),Eric(Likes Pretty Much Anything) and Someone else other Than That no else cares for them!

20. pmoverlord-1972

pmoverlord-1972 the enforcer of all

we will be fighting them on 6/2/7 for movie toys