Customs: Do I need to use a primer?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Mar 4, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if I'm posting this rightly, because the question I'm asking pertains to one of Bandai's Sentai model kits, not Transformers, so do forgive me, I really didn't mean to offend. I have never painted before, and I was hoping you guys could give some advice.

Basically, as seen in the image, most of the parts have already been casted in the proper color. I just wish to paint details in, such as a few blacks, a bit of gold for the helm, silver for the sword, and a bit of yellow and pink on the kanji symbols on the shoulders. The rest, I'd prefer it in the original casted color.

Now the question is, do I need to use a primer? The reason I am asking is because most primers I've seen recommended are the spray on type, but I really don't want to envelope the entire figure, just a few small details. Also, I've tried Walmart's Folkart acrylics on some of the toy's material and it couldn't stick. Finally, I've made a bad mistake by assembling it together and even sealing some parts. Now it cannot be disassembled.

Please do advise, and I thank you guys immensely. BTW, picture was taken from the Henshin Justice Unlimited message boards, originally posted here: Do candy toys need to be painted? - Henshin Justice Unlimited

Attached Files:

2. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    dont use walmart paints, they only stick to your clothes
    use testors, i follow jin's painting guide and switched to acrylics after readin MSDS on enamels

try sanding a little the part, i had trouble with paint sticking to some parts but after a light sanding it worked out great

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I usually use acrylic paints (Testors & Tamiya) and I've had no issues with painting without a basecoat on parts. I've painted both with basecoats and without. Basecoats aren't needed, but they can help the paint adhere better and certain basecoats (dark or light) can bring out more color or lessen the color of some paints.

If you're painting what is in that image, I'd say Testors Model Master Acryl paints should work fine without a base.

4. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

If the surface is flat (and not glossy) paint usually sticks fine to the plastic (unless you've got unpaintable plastic), so yeah, sanding. Very fine sanding, you don't want to scratch the plastic.

Not all primers are in spraycans, you can also get 'em in those little tin cans and brush them on.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You may want to get an old toothbrush and take some GoJo to it. GoJo is automotive soap that is essentially soap (*gasp!*) and some tiny sand particles. It'll rough up your surface area just a tiny bit enough for paint to adhere to it. The areas you want to leave the color of the mold, you can just leave. Once you're finished, just apply Future floor polish on top of the whole piece.

Btw, I'm personally offended that you're posting about a non-TF custom.

:lol  :poke :

:) 

6. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Aha, I'm sorry to offend then. :D  But it's worth it to get expert opinions such as these.

Guys, would you recommend the basic Testors line? The ones that come in small square bottles? The Model Masters a bit pricey...

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  8. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    tl;dr version
    yes those are ok
    i just bought some today, for g2 swipe

9. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    I went ahead and bought Model Masters. My first paint custom is turning into a serious disaster. I really should have primed it, but there's no turning back now.

How come blue angels yellow is so liquid and free flowing?

10. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    did you stir all the paint?

11. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Yeah I realized that was one of the problems. My silver turned out fine after that. But yellow really is disappointing. Black is awesome though.

Have yet to try the rest. Despite the fail, it's been fun. :D 

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Typically, I shake my paint bottles before opening them. Sometimes, paint does have to be stirred as well. Also, paint doesn't last forever and can dry out. When not in use, make sure those lids are closed! Even then, you'll have to replace your paint ever so often (sometimes a few years or so).

13. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

ALWAYS shake. Then stir the brush in the can.

14. ComicGuy89

News Credits: