do I need a router?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Jun 8, 2006.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so me and my girlfriend just got cable internet for the first time last night. took a while to get hooked up, because we had to call to register the modem she bought with comcast. just to clarify, we're not using wireless, we're wired to the modem. she registered/logged on using her computer, and then we tried using mine. it did the network adapter test and that was ok, but then it said there was a connectivity error, and we've tried a bunch, but can't get it to work. the light on my computer at the ethernet port is lit up, as well as the connectivity light on the modem. the only difference is that the modem light never flashes when connected to my computer, like it should if it's transferring info.

I was wondering if anyone knows what might be up. I'm a n00b to the cable modem stuff. I usually have been able to plug my computer into just about any network and use the ethernet, so I'm kinda surprised this isn't working. is it because we registered using her computer, and now it won't recognize mine? I don't know what a router is/does, but was wondering if that might be what I need. please help!

2. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

First thing to try is to connect your PC to the modem, then reboot the modem.

After switching computers, a restart of the modem is always needed, because the modem still thinks it's connected to the other pc.

A Router is a device that will allow you to connect multiple PC's to the internet. Routers also have Hardware firewalls which are much better than softwares.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

ahh, I think I see. so a router will alleviate needing to reboot the modem to connect my computer, and allow us to have both computers connected at the same time, correct?

*realizes most people have probably known about this stuff for the past 5 years*

4. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    That is correct. I do not recommend Netgear if you are getting a router, however. They have no free initial customer phone support. Since you are new at this, you may need it (hell, some old schoolers need it from time to time).