do G1 reissues really hurt prices on originals

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thecollector81, Mar 29, 2010.

1. thecollector81

thecollector81 Banned

just woundering what you all think of this it seems to me that G1 pieces or Japanese G1 once reissued the originals just sorta go down the drain value wise nobody even really seems to want them anymore as any toy for a collector is only desired if not reissued

2. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    They might reduce the wider appeal (and thus wider price) but you'll still get people interested in buying the G1 original, usually at a high price. I'd say it reduces the market of something trying to flog G1 originals, not the price.

If it does lower the price it's a good thing. At at the end of the day people being easily able to own a G1 classic > G1 classic maintaining its price.

3. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    I'm pretty sure I don't care how much someone wants to sell their G1 original for on the secondary market if I can get the same exact toy (but brand spanking new, with all the accessories) for cheaper if I go with a reissue.

I'm buying the toy, not the toy's age. Whether I get a G1 reissue Hound or an actual honest-to-god 1984 Hound, I'm literally getting the same exact physical toy. If the seller on the secondary market can't beat the reissue toy's price (and that includes compensating for the wear-and-tear the G1 original toy likely has), you'd better believe I'm going to buy a reissue instead of an original.

4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I'd prefer a reissue too...

5. Fe 26

Fe 26 Well-Known Member

It doesn't last.

When they first reissued Fort Max in Japan with the new cartoon colors, the price dropped on ebay like a rock, for the original. There was a short period where you could pick up an almost complete one for 300. I got mine by trading 3 Saturn RPGs and two Sega CD games (admittedly, looking back, it was a fair trade as both have gone up in resale value) during this period.

Now Fort Max is back up to 1000+ for a complete one. Like 750+ for one with all head masters and guns.

Now is a good time to pick up an old Metroplex or Skylynx.

6. thecollector81

thecollector81 Banned

i figure the prices will bounce back sometimes especally for vintage Japanese g1 stuff

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Interesting.

When I buy a G1, for me, it HAS to be an original. I suppose I am buying the age as much as anything else. To know that when I hold it in my hands or when it's displayed on my shelf, that it's the exact same toy that was on the store shelf over 20 years ago. I'm buying a piece of history as well as the actual figure and everything that comes with it.

For me, reissues are worth nothing and they don't even register for me.

And when I refer to 'worth' I only mean it in the emotional/sentimental sense. I don't buy G1s to sell on.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes they do. Could you imagine how much a G1 Prime would be worth if he was never reissued, especially after the movies. It would be scary.

9. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Hurt" is an emotive word. If the question is - "Do G1 reissues have an EFFECT on original G1 pricing?" the answer is clearly yes.

As some one else said, it reduces the market. Instead of a crowded market who all want a G1 Ironhide, you instead get a reduced market of people who want an original G1 Ironhide (as so many have been placated by the reissue). It means that prices are LIKELIER to go down. However, on ebay, all you need are two rabid fanboys bidding against each other and your price can rocket anyway.

10. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say "hurt" but rather "make G1s a whole lot more affordable". For example, Would you rather hunt down an original Soundblaster or nab a reissue? It's not that hard of a decision at all. :) 

11. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

Same here, has to be an original for me...

12. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes they have, there was a time where prowl bluestreeak, smokescreen, jazz etc regularly sold for $100-$150 for mint loose items before they were reissued. Look no further than non-reissued bots like sunstreaker, and wheeljack they have kept their values, and some sell over $200 loose now.

13. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Well, we can look at this two ways - whether prices on original G1s is "all encompassing", meaning every G1 toy or we can look at the prices on G1s that got reissued. The latter has already been discussed.

So, for the former, the prices tend to go up from what I've seen. People get the reissues and want to continue to buy G1, so the prices on unreissued originals seems to go up. Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, Mirage, Dinobots, etc. - all of their prices have seen steady increases over the years from people who want a complete G1 collection.

Regardless of how you look at the question the answer is a resounding "yes, the prices are clearly affected."

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  14. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Duplicate post 6

15. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just triple posted at Cool Stuff, glad someone topped me :lol 

Anyway, if not for cheaper minty reissues I wouldn't have been interested in G1 at all...and I am sure there are many like me, who has nothing to do with the value shift of the originals.

16. Fe 26

Fe 26 Well-Known Member

I hope they keep reissuing G1 stuff. Some of the prices right now are freaking stupid. I've seen a $400 lot of bots go for $1000+ ebay.

Not everyone is a die hard collector. Some people are just character fans and they would be just as happy with a new reissue. So in a way, the reissues are good for collectors. They no longer have to compete with fans of this and that.

And one thing that has not been said yet, I think it is also good for fans that have kids. If I wanted to give a kid a brand new Sky Lynx for Christmas, I can now do that with no worry.

17. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Don't forget to add Hot Rod and Starscream to that list. Those were two that took the biggest hit. I used to sell each of those for prices right around $100. Nowhere close, now... If anyone even wants them.
    I don't think there any chance that the prices on these toys ever return to their pre-reissue levels.

18. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Reissues are not always exactly the same. The Jazz reissues were crap for a long time. The last encore finally got it right and now its pretty much a better toy than the original. But then look at encore Bruticus and all the crappy repaints that have been put out. If anything it makes the original worth even more to me.

The G1 boxes alone are a huge appeal. Its not like most people were going to dish out $500+ for G1 figures to begin with. Only a small percentage of the population with the funds and passion are willing to do that. Since most of us would never pay that much and something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, then no I don't think the prices have been hurt. If anything they have been corrected.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    It does effect the price yes. as those who desire it but can't afford an complete original will often jump at a reissue. I'll echo the others in saying there will always be a group that will only accept true original G1s

20. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

There was long period of time when TF fans could only fondly remember the way toys used to be. It really did seem like a lost art. Trying to find TFs before eBay was really hard. Then Beast Wars came out, and brought people back to the hobby. Prices were high then too. With eBay, the hobby became much easier and much mode accessible. It also showed Hasbro that there is a demand for G1. Reissues, ko's, and eBay have all made finding the lost art a lot less difficult. Now, the toys aren't so rare. The ocean of k.o.'s also make collecting trickey. These are all factors that detract from the value of the toys. When something is common, it's less valuable than when it is rare.