Do female transformers attract more hate?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, May 5, 2012.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

does fandom subconsciously (or willingly) have double standards when it comes to the transformers gender or sex.

When I have heard people hating on airachnid , often the reasons they gave were similar to the reasons they thought overlord from last stand of the wreckers was awesome or 'bad-ass' and I have noticed some people wanting to know about her troubled past as if she must have some kind of sob story or been a victim being a female villain, I don't think anyone asked to hear about overlords troubled past did they? . Same goes for arcee the criticisms leveled at her are often given as positives when related to other troubled heroic types or spontaneous characters like dinobot or hot rod. I know that fandom hasn't always disliked all female characters like say slipstream, strika, blackarachnia or crasher but I can't help notcing a slight imbalance in places what do you think?

2. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    The fandom expects differently from female characters; Airachnid is a poor play on the old "femme fatale" which is why she attracts some hate. As to fembots having more about their past- yeah, that's a little awkward. But it's mostly Hasbro's fault, as well.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get the opposite vibe. Everyone's fawning over Slipstream even though she barely actually did anything in Animated and a bunch of people love Arcee just because "OMG FEMALE WHO NOT DAMSEL GIRLY GIRL OMG"

I almost guarantee if those two characters had the exact same personality but were rule 63'd, people wouldn't like them as much or at least wouldn't be as vocal about liking them.

I don't like Airachnid as a character that much, but it's not because she's female.

4. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    It depends about how they are protrayed.

In the past many of them are infamous for being sterotyped in the worse possible way espcially for the G1 Arcee. However some great examples of femmes being written greatly like Blackarachnia is changing all that. Espically in current years like Prime Arcee and Airachnid which a lot of people have more respect for.

5. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Yes. It's one of my rules actually, along with hate the idiots, only care about male generic bad assess and just plain bad assess, etc...

6. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Not really. There may be hate, but the liking for them overpowers the hates.

Also what Bountyan said. People only like TFP Arcee because she makes up for G1 Arcee to them.

7. gregles

gregles quintesson

I think maybe if slipstream or strika had been around longer or became a main characters the haters would have eventually pounced on them

8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Honestly the femmes get way too much undeserved hate.

They have every right to be awesome charcters just as much as the male bots and it ins't fair that they get bashed for being something the writer cooked up with them in the past. If there's anything to blame it's the writers that made them unlikeable to the haters.

I'm glad that shows like Beast Wars and Prime are changing that to make femmes more intresitng and deeper as characters and I'm happy Hasbro making more of an effort lately.

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I mostly agree with this.

Everyone knows I have a bone to pick with Arcee and Airachinid, but I have nothing against female characters [Hell, I think DOTM's Carly is far more charismatic than Sam himself].

My problem with those steems from other issues: I originally liked Arcee, but I think she was severely overused as the series went on, and became increasingly stupid when it came to decision-making. Two things I hate in fiction: Overused characters and dumb ones [unless they're played for laughs or, to a lesser extent, sympathy].

As for Airachinid, I liked her in her original appearences, being a Decepticon Serial Killer with a penchant for creepy mannerisms [like stroking people's faces], when she became a 'Con, she became a little generic, but I had no problem with her existence at all. When she killed Breakdown and became leader of the Insecticon army? Then I had a problem, because she became a Creator's Pet/Villain Sue [tvtropes] to my eyes.

In short, writing problems, not gender problems.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some of us just simply hate the mere existence of 'female' Transformers in general, and the way they are always such cookie-cutter stereotypes: good girl is always sweet, caring, sensitive & "I don't need no help" stubborn, and bad girl is always conniving, 'femme fatale' badass who's emotionless, only looks out for herself and uses her feminine wiles to get what she wants 99% of the time in nearly every continuity. *yawn*

11. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Yes I think they really do. There are some males who just can't stand having a certain type of female being portrayed a certain way. Oh sure it's ok for the same guys to be whistling at a super model or something and saying things like "I'd hit that" but then when a female actually shows some personality other then just an obedient person who basically has no personality and does whatever they feel like they should, well when a female actually HAS a personality other then just being like that they seem to have an issue with it.

Now of course this is not saying every male is like this. There are plenty who can be accepting of a strong female or a sassy female or any kind of female that is portrayed and be just fine with it. But there does tend to be that overly male attitude (Sexism?) where if a female has any kind of strong personality (Be it strong, sassy, backtalking, independent etc) other then just being a quiet (hardly any personality at all) background character, then that character sucks or is crap or is poorly written, or is just in it for the female audience and so on and so on. You will find all kinds of excuses for them to justify that they just can't accept or like a strong female character with an actual personality.

12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well see, I tend to like female characters (or at least make more of an effort too because there's often less of em), but if they suck ass or are otherwise underused, then I'll toss em to the same chopping block that I'd toss anyone in.

However, the fact that we've had so few female transformers means that the lines of comparison are a lot easier to draw, even when it comes to characters that're nothing alike. For example, we compare Airachnid to Blackarchnia a hell of a lot, while the main thing they even have in common is being villain spider ladies. Well that, and having sexy voices/being on Megatron's chopping block, but that kinda comes with the job.

13. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

I hate Arcee and Airachnid. All incarnations. Not because they're female, but because the writers have made them so annoying.

14. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Overlord Balder summed up my thoughts very well.

15. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    It must be hard to hate all incarnations of a character with only one incarnation.

16. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I just think Airachnid is a bitch :I

17. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Blackarachnia spoiled us. Now we hold every other fembot up to ridiculously high standards.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  18. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

i don't hate female transformers.i like them as long as they don't look like a bimbo like prime arcee

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I knew this thread was going to be about Prime. Every soapbox thread these days has to do with that show.

Anyway, no. Airachnid is hated because she's a cliche, one-dimensional villain that exists almost soley to be a foil for the hero. Compare her to, say, Blackarachnia, who was very well-rounded and loved by almost all.

Airachnid is hated because she's a bad character, not because she's a girl.

But not impossible, it seems.

Then you'll adore this one lovely flower by the name of Strika...

20. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

YEP :)  i think she was a great addition to the transformers fiction and is one of my favorite from beast machines