Do fanboys hurt or help the fandom? (Movie related)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shaun_C, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I figured this could spark some interesting discussion among us.

I've been browsing through the following TF forums;Don Murphy.net,Transformerslive.com and Michaelbay.com reading through some of the TF movie related threads.And I got to thinking "Do fanboys hurt or help the fandom?" and "Will the fanboys ruin the movie in 2007?"

Reading through those boards I DEFINATELY get the "Fanboy" vibe.When I think fanboy I picture him

[​IMG]

Always have a long winded opinion about why such and such should be this way or that way.Or flaunt their stats of how they've liked (insert name here) since before they were born and thus are the pseudo-experts.

Unfortunately it's the fanboys that IMPO are responsible for the negative stereotype surrounding people who are into sci-fi or comics.Which is a shame because it can be an enjoyable hobby if people just enjoy it

I'm actually wondering if I'll even go to the theater to see the movie over just waiting for the DVD release.My reason is that I can so picture some self-righteous "G1 purist" either a)Spending part of the movie complaining about what's not like G1 or b)Booing and causing a ruckus over the voices or c)Even just having the gaul of trying to stop me from buying a ticket to the movie.

I read posts on Murphy's and Michael Bay's board about people saying they'll be outside the theater boycotting the movie or will flame Murphy and Bay to high heaven on the boards.

To me this kind of attitude is not what's needed.And anyone who has this type of attitde isn't who the movie's for.To me this movie is for fans and non-fans alike who just want to enjoy a good sci-fi action flick.

What do you guys think on this?

2. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

WORST PICTURE EVER!!!

Anyway... I agree and disagree, I, like a lot of us, am a big fan of the Star Wars series and I will fight to the death against any fan boy who hated the movies. Not because they were great, but because they were Lucas's vision of the movie as he wanted them.

I will hold the same option of this movie, when it comes out, that it may not be what I want, but it will be what Hasbro wants in a movie, so if I like transformers, which I do, I should like this movie because I have supported the series so far through all generations and keep on coming back. I highly doubt that the movie will be much different.

But fan boys (a la Comic Book Guy) are the cause of there own demise. They ruin a lot of things, but generally they do it to themselves. For example if someone wants to go trough the entire SW Series and point out every mistake, every plot hole, be my guest. I won't do it because I will make me crazy to overanalyze it. I want to enjoy it, not hate it. It is a pass time to like these things, why ruin it!

3. Vialli

Vialli Fantastic

I think ya need a standard that is acceptable to what you should expect in the movie. As far as voices go, yes it would be cool having the original prime and megs, but to be honest, its not a terrible worry, as long as they dont stick urckel on either of em, its not a terrible problem.

I also think that with the fanboys, they need to just lower their standards a bit, it is in my opinion that the fanboys have an immencely high standard that is far beyond any average fan, as I said before, ya need an acceptable standard, the fact that we dont get a G1 every year is good for the reason we can all look back on G1 and adore it for what it was, I mean if we had G1 being rehashed with the same characters and Wheelie running about it'd be boring by now. With BW we had something fresh, RID was different again, Armada was another twist, we had a brief G1 thing with some characters and paints jobs in Energon, and Cybertron is something different again, every series as kept the discussion going with TF's its made thing interesting and thats why with the movie, I'm hoping, yes for G1 but a twist, something thats says "new n cool".

We all have to remember at the end of the day, this is a childrens programme, designed for kids, watched by kids (well, mostly). The movie will be designed for the Teenager so it'll have a more mature twist in it, witch I'm all for.

So in closing, fanboys may just accept what we are getting, if it universally sucks, fair enough, a bad movie is a bad movie, but if it echos the transformers in a positive light, embrace it and don't bring down something that many of us have dreamed about for so many years.

Good god I need to stop these rants, anything that comes to mind is being thrown out, its developing into a nasty habbit :stick: 

4. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice pic of Jeff Albertson.. better known as Comic Book Guy.

Damn.. I watch too much Simpsons.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

They are entertaining if nothing else, the board wouldent be the same without thier comical delusions of importance and martyrism.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Both.

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the most part, I agree. I think there's alot of fanboy fans out there when it comes to any sci-fi/fantasy genre and I think that these people find themselves and their desires to be more important than they actually are in the grand scheme of things. Most people universally enjoyed the LotR movies, but... would you believe that there were actually groups of people that wanted to boycott each of the movies for different reasons. And the directors response to that was this: "The fans need to realize that this isn't going to be Tokien's version of LotR and it most certainly isn't going to be the fans version of the LotR... it's going to be my version!" Now, stating that, I think those movies turned out good. Different from the novels in some ways, but very nice to watch and enjoy.

Sure, it was his version, but he tried to add the things that he new the fandom definently needed to see and he attempted to keep it interesting for people who weren't fans of the fantasy genre... trust me that's slaggin' hard. The battle at the end of LotR didn't happen in the book. However, the way it was in the novel would have been alot more boring on the big screen. My point of bringing this up is that, sometimes the directions chosen are chosen so that others, whom aren't a part of the particular fandom will enjoy the movies just as well as those whom have loved the property since childhood.

I think, that if all the fanwanking dies down, the TF fandom will begin to realize that we aren't as self-important to this franchise as we seem to think we are. We, each of us, represent a different generation of fans within a growing fandom. And we have to be willing to except that not all of our expectations are going to be meet. That doesn't make the movie bad at, however, and may just make it stronger. Now, honestly, with Bay at the helm I have no idea how it's going to turn out. Could be good and it could be bad, but we aren't going to know until the movie reaches theaters.

I'd like to finish my buck fifty, with this: talks of boycotting it... a movie most of us have wanted to see happen for a very long time... just, IMPO, shows the childishness and self-importance of some of the biggest fanwankers on the internet. These people really need to take a deep breath, step back and grow the fuck up. Because, at the end of the day, this property is really aimed at kids... not 20+ year old fans. The movie will take us into more of a consideration, but it won't be "Gee Wun". Based on the better parts, probably, and hopefully it will have some of the cooler elements from the current generations... BW/BM/RID/A/E/C... all of them have something to offer to the movie, especially since our kids, who are growing up on the current universe of TFs, are going to be going to see this movie also. I'm done.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

... not touching it with a bargepole.

But for the record, George Lucas is a hack.

9. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OK as for the "Fan Boys" ask Razerwire he knows all about it :D 

10. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Word!

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Pfft.

Fanboy.

12. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

Fan boys kill all things all of them have some sort of misinformation on everything

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Fanboys are a dangerous stereotype. Unfortunately, Murphy's board is full of them.

14. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Here's a goody: What if a fanboy drove by the theatre and ruined the movie with a Spoiler like "Snape kills Optimus Prime!"? (If you don't get it go here : http://www.wimp.com/potter/)

15. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

You knew this was going to happen...

Why is he a hack?
    ***bell rings in the squared circle***

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Aint happenin' in this thread.

17. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

I think the movie is primarily (and overwhelmingly) aimed at 20 something fanboys who remember G1 and G1 alone.

If the fanboys have been successful on keeping the film on the G1 film rather than letting elements of the multiverse infringe upon it (like the inclusion of Energon Arcee, or the rumours that Hot Shot was intended at some point) then the fanboys have done a really valuable job for the movie, and probably ensured the difference between success and failure.

A TF film the fans mocking the fanboys want to see would likely be a failure. Some of the fanboys are TOO anal, but generally speaking they're in the right, and represent the movie's target audience MUCH more than anyone who likes BW era forward does.

Phazer

18. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I just want to go and enjoy a good movie. if it were up to me i would have things certain ways but it isnt up to me or any of us so we should just sick back and enjoy what we are giving. and if you dont like it then tough luck

19. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Didn't take long

I found this onPetitionline.com

Ugh when will people learn that no one really takes these online petitions seriously :redface2: 

I don't recall a time I've ever looked at an online petition thinking "Wow,this person's passionate"

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    No, it isn't. It's aimed at the masses or it won't make enough money. There's no freaking way fandom alone could help the studio even break even on a big-budget action spectacular like TFs will attempt to be. If it has no appeal to the general public, it will sink like The Rock and "Doom" did.

But it does appear as though those involved in production of the TF movie are at least taking fandom concens into consideration.

The regular movie-going public could care less what fanatical types have to say about any movie. However, when a stinker like "Catwoman" comes along and all the critics hate it, then fanboys attempt to take credit for it tanking at the box office. IMO, fandom has only a marginal impact on B.O. numbers.

But when those involved in the production of comics/cartoon-based movies are fans themselves (like Raimi on Spider-Man), then you get a better-quality film that largely appeals to fans as well.

Granted, some fanboys will still whine, and that's why they call them fanboys. But nobody cares, and life goes on.