Do Certain Transformers Remind You of a Certain Time Period In Your Life?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fifam94, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

Is this a weird question to ask? I dunno, but every transformer that I have on my shelf reminds me of a time period in my life. For example, my Voyager Incinerator reminds me of the time I went to the airshow and had him signed by the V-22 Pilots. Or my Shockwave which reminds me of the time I took him in to class as a good luck charm during a Bio Test (Aced it! :p ). Do you guys have moments like these linked to your figures?

2. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely. I wish I had more time at the moment to give you the response you deserve, but I defintely attach a certain felling to different series or releases that refelect what I was going through at the time.

3. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, its called "G1"

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    DOTM Darksteel reminds me of the time I picked up BW Quickstrike and Airhammer as a kid.

G1 Astrotrain reminds me of the time I got it back in 3rd grade from one of my brother's old teachers. That's getting to be almost 20 years ago.

Alt Hound reminds me of time I finally found it just a new miles outside of Ft. Knox, KY.

BW Scourge reminds me of the time I was talking down the drive way and my uncle came by and gave it to me. Now that he's gone, those figures I got from him means a bit more.

5. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Yes. It's actually the reason I picked up an RTS Bumblebee yesterday - Classics Bee was one of the first TFs I bought, and when money was tight, I sold him off. RTS, since it has the same mold, makes me remember when I was fresh to the franchise and to collecting... long before The Hunt became a thing in and of itself :D 

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Exactly!!!

Every time I see a figure I had whilst I was a child it takes me right back to the mid-80s and building bases for them and rolling them around on my bedroom floor.

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cybertron Prime - March this year. I never had any sort of attachment to the toy until then, but now I don't think I'll ever forget.

I don't have any childhood memories with TFs because I'm a newb to this hobby.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  8. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Energon and before is when I collected with my father before he passed away.

9. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    g2 gold bumbleebee my dad use to fix his legs all the time

g2 jolt my brothers transformer he gave to me

beast wars megatron and optimusprimal 2 pack first time i brought my own tf 2$ a week
    cost me 30$ ....

amarda galvatron when i took over the high school i worked out there where more out casts then populers so i gatherd them all up and turned the army agianst them gave a spech about how the populers are no longer populer cause they are out numberd and yous are the outcasts after that my mate gave me galvatron

protoform optimusprime movie 1 first time at a anime convention :D 

rts wreckgar got him the day my son was born :D 

10. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Animated Grimlock, for being my first Transformer that began my collection, and who now has his own mini "shrine" in my room. So technically he was the one who started it all for me again, which explains why I'm a fan of the character. I'm sure alot of fans end up being fans of the character they got as their first toy.

But as a kid, my big memory was BW Rhinox, way back when. I sadly don't have the original Rhinox with me, just the Fox Kids repaint.

Ahh, memories~

11. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Oh absolutely. My g1 toys remind me of when i was a kid as do my g2 and beastwars. I remember the christmas when i got my beastwars megs and Polar claw. I also remember spending some christmas money to get scorponok. It takes me back to those days. I also remember the birthday i got g2 prime and megatron. God that was so fun i loved those toys. I also remember my g2 Jolt and ransack and the water color change figures Deluge and Gobots. Man its all great memories and nostalgia. Hell i also remember my RID collection its small but i got those in high school. I remember those because i was with my first serious girlfreind and when i needed to go get condoms i would get a figure to cover up what my trip to the store was for. Do not get me wrong i wanted the toys but it was good cover. So many good memories.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  12. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

Since everyone's been sharing the figure that got them into collecting. . . For me it's a hazy memory. I'd like to think Beast Machines Jetstorm. That's the earliest one I can remember.

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Oh, definitely. There are toys I have that remind me of the "not so memorable times" in my life - example: ex girlfriend bought me a MP Skywarp. And then there are figures that remind of fabulous times in my life - example: G2 Optimus Prime, childhood favorite.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^this, i can still remember facing shockwave off against jetfire and soundwave's play until he couldn't even stand anymore

15. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    G1 Prime reminds me of the mid 80s and a carefree time.

16. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have a particular memory linked to my old Powermaster Prime:

A summer breeze coming in a window, with the feel of the carpet warmed by the sunshine filtering through a white curtained window.

Sure, it sounds like a Febreeze commercial, but with all reflexive jadedness and sarcasm stripped away - this is the memory that I connect most firmly with Transformer toys. No worry, no responsibility - just a quiet, bright day.

I recapture a little bit of that memory when I open a new toy, or finally finish work on a custom. If not for that feeling, I have no idea what my hobby would be today.

I think most connections people form with objects (toys, cars, houses, etc.) are steeped in Saudade:
    It's not a bad thing at all, but it has the power to make you feel better about your life, or to hopelessly long for a time that's long gone - or perhaps never existed the way you remembered it.

17. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Masterpeice Grimlock reminded me of the excitment I've as a kid when I got a Dinosaur Transformer or a Godzilla toy!:) 

18. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Love these responses. :) 

Also for me, most of my older figures remind me of places I took them/when I got em/etc, and I think this is pretty normal considering the attachment I've always had to my transformers.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nostalgia certainly isn't limited to G1 (though most of us are nostalgic for G1). Each series brings to mind certain things that were going on globally as well as personally for me. Even if I don't have many of the figures from a certain series anymore, I can often be flooded with the sentimentality of a certain line and it's nostalgia.

20. Zendai

Zendai Minicon Addict

My G1 Grimlock reminds me of my old G2 Grimlock that I buried in a pile of sand...