Do any of you guys miss the "bay"formers aesthetic?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by wm10k, Apr 22, 2012.

1. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

From Voyager Skyhammer....to DOTM Deluxe Sideswipe....to HA Basics Whirl and Sandstorm...ROTF/HFTD scout class awesomeness...Leader Class Starscream...Voyager Class, ahem Deluxe Class Lockdown (seriously, that guy is friggin tall as a motherfucker).

There was a lot to love about that "universe". Not all of the toys were hits...and I'm not saying that the current TFP: RID toys aren't as fun or cool or even the upcoming FOC toys (I assume that is another Generations type line and not a pure FOC line?)...

But man...I just don't think I got quite enough of the movie-verse aesthetic. I still want more scout class cars and motorcycles. I still want more military vehicles in the deluxe and voyager classes....and I want more hulking decepticons like my huggable Leader Starscream. And I don't think it is so much that I want more characters FROM the movies. I would have to say some of the best releases (imo) were of off screen characters.

and C-Clips...best TF weapon gimmick in recent years.

2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    NO.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hell no. I'm glad to see it gone. When the 07 movie line came out they were cool, but seeing the same crap on the shelves for 5 years gets tiring. Especially when most of them are filler characters who weren't in the actual movies.

4. wm10k

isn't that the same deal with every TF line though?

they all have peg warmers.

or are you simply referring to that style of transformer? can't blame you there. but at least generations and the RTS stuff was going on side by side.

5. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    they're still on shelves around here, so you can't be missing them just yet.

I do miss the design philosophy behind figures like voyager Mindwipe and the RotF Scouts, which were easily my favorite figures to come out in a long time (other than animated's toyline)

6. NIMISISKRASH

NIMISISKRASH DESTROY ALL TOYZ

I for one don't.i like my transformer to look like "transformers" not aliens(h.r.giger). But hey that's me.

7. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    Yes. I do sorta miss the movie aesthetic, even if PRiD proves an excellent replacement. I love how wild all the designs are and I think the toys themselves are pure genius. My only regret is skipping out on some choice molds during ROTF, HFTD, and Movie 1.

I'd like more Movie-verse aesthetic, but FOC and Prime fill the void quite nicely.

8. wm10k

Most of the offscreen characters looked less like aliens and more like hyper detailed robots with classic tendencies.

Skyhammer, Breacher, Bludgeon...

Actually I think it was mostly the Decepticons that they played up the "alien" imagery with. For instance....most of the autobots have fingers but the decepticons seemed to by and large have these jagged hooks for digits.

EDIT: Also, I never watched a single TF movie. Not one (except the old animated one....many, many years ago). I don't have a hard on for this style per se...I just wish that they could have squeezed out a couple more awesome molds out before it went kaput.

9. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I enjoyed the Bayverse Transformers a lot. I will miss nonew toys for a while, at least till movie 4, but I have other awesome lines like Prime, FOC, Generations, etc.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Already?? It's only been FIVE MINUTES.

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    oh come on, we just got done with a damn movie line, we need a damn break from movie toys, we'll be swimming in them soon enough, let us enjoy the break we have been given for now

12. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasn't been long enough to miss it.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nope, doubt i will ever miss them

14. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I need time to miss them to miss them.

15. TheBeastman

TheBeastman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm honestly a little more tired of the "classic" aesthetic, but thats just me. Some classic stuff rocks but some of it it also really boring.

16. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    NO. You named some of the best ones but there was a lot of crap. TFTM Payload, TFTM Jazz, TFTM Swindle, both TFTM Megatron, TFTM Blackout, ROTF Voyager Megatron, ROTF Leader Megatron (regardless of the price he's going for now), ROTF Soundwave, ROTF Arcee/Elita-One/Chromia, ROTF Mudflap & Skids, ROTF Demolishor, ROTF Rampage, ROTF Mixmaster. ROTF Fallen, DOTM Laserbeak, DOTM Ultimate Prime.

As you yourself stated, some of the best molds were the ones that while they were "movie" toys they were not in the movies so they weren't limited to "bayformers" aesthetic.

I still hate the fact that bumblebee has his license plate as his crotch in all 200 versions of him.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  17. wm10k

i hear that. I don't have many classic toys anymore...i sold off a lot of the true "classics" before the name change. I am keeping Sunstreaker and Jazz though. I need to put some work in my Sideswipe though....but then again I might just get rid of him too.

Lately what I dig are either cybertronian designs which hopefully the FOC stuff will satisfy...

and hyper realistic stuff.

Prime stuff is cute though.

18. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I like the movie toys, but I find myself enjoying the CHUG and Prime styles more. So no, I don't miss them...plus, like others have said, they haven't been gone long enough to miss them.

19. wm10k

true that....there was a TON of crappy molds...

20. wm10k

i think i'm mostly lamenting the missed opportunities.

that and I've avoided toy aisles for a good long while now so I haven't had the same molds shoved in my face like some of you regulars probably deal with.