Do 5 year-olds write some of the planet key code profiles on the official site?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by thefrozenred, Feb 24, 2006.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Seriously. And, no, I don't ask because they're silly. Hell, the fact that they're silly and sound as if a 5-year old came up with them makes me laugh. Laugh hard. Here, read Leobreaker's, and then read what it SHOULD look like:

versus...

I mean, it's the little things. Capitalization, not creating run-on sentences, writing something that flows...if there are little kids reading these things, doesn't the writer and/or Hasbro sorta OWE it to them to make sure that everything follows the basic rules of grammar that they see and learn about everywhere else? To not contradict what they're being taught in schools about what nice writing looks like?

Does Hasbro just need a new editor for that content? I work fast and for cheap?

2. Neo

Neo The One

That sounds retarded anyways. Why would a Transformer make shirts and hats and be interested in sports? Is that how Leobreaker is protrayed in the show?

3. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get over it.

It's the 5yr old kids that're going to be the ones that give a damn about what the online-bio says about Leobreaker, not nearly what some random older fan is. A few typo's like that is nothing major. The bio - yeah it's lame, but it'll appeal to the kids that read it, it's not written to be some captivating life story.

Jesus, if you get bothered by that, go write your own bio, from the way i've seen kids spell these day, that sorta grammar is a godsend.

4. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I would say yes but that would be insulting 5 year olds everywhere

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's gotta be the same kids that they use to mistransform and take pics of everything they put out...

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    not kids, its the munkeys

Andy

7. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Wow. You kind of suck at reading, huh?

See, people that read well (ie, others in this thread) can see that I'm not critiquing the content - I'm critiquing the grammar and mechanics that's being presented to little kids. And it seems derailing to yell at me for saying the bio sucks, and that I should go write my own - didn't I pretty much say that WASN'T the point of the complaint? And that I enjoyed how silly it was...?

Furthermore, why shouldn't we present kids some easily perfectable mechanics and grammar? Why SHOULD we be showing kids that typos are okay and that big companies are fine with giving them stuff that's written badly?

If it was a toy with imperfect articulation or whatever, then fine. That shit costs money and resources etc etc. But how much does it cost to hire a person that will either (a) write a simple bio as perfectly as possible the first time around, or (b) correct the simple mistakes of the idiot who first wrote the bio? I could do EITHER in a matter of minutes...and you're STILL telling me that it's acceptable to still screw up something like this?

8. Dio

Dio Scrapper

i might of tryed good grammar at one point in my life; but then i got AOL and it all went down hill

9. thefrozenred

Ebay:
  10. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Give me one bio. Just one bio to write. I promise I will make the most amazing bio and have everyone going nuts over it.

11. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

Spelling, capitalization, and grammar do matter, though, because that's where kids are likely to pick it up.

It's one thing to make a typo--everyone does that. And most of us have been lazy enough at one time or another to not want to look up a word we don't really know how to spell. (For me, it's always "receive," and it's always a toss-up as to whether I'm going to spell it properly.) In chats I often don't even bother to capitalize properly, either--I'm a fast typist, around 70 wpm, but it's quicker to not bother when you're in a conversation.

But when you're dealing with "official" content of any kind, not bothering with any of this makes the person who wrote it look like a bonehead. And it's not good for kids who are already struggling with English to see it used wrong. And (look at me murder my grammar here!) it takes about five minutes or less to properly copyedit an entry as short as that, which means that it also makes the writer's bosses look like boneheads in turn.

As long as people write to the best of their ability on a message board, say, I'm fine with it--I'm not going to be a grammar Nazi. But when it's supposed to be some kind of official content, it just looks sad when they make stupid, basic mistakes like that.

12. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
  13. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Ahhhhhhhhh! Grammar/spelling mistakes drive me insane! (Well, great, look what you did now, now they're all going to be watching you.)

14. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All i'm trying to say is that while there are errors in that bio, which there are, and SHOULD be fixed, that it's really not that big a deal and to claim is as 'a five year olds work'. Plenty of people who have fine grammar can make the odd MISTAKE. Not everyone is perfect you know?

If a five year old wrote it i'm sure it would've been more along the lines of: leobraker is realy cool end i tink hes a good auotbot.. i Like that he can be Ooptimuss Arm.

15. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah but this is professional work on a corportate website. Anything a company like that produces that's intended for public viewing should be proof-read.

16. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  17. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pok├ęcon

I have a feeling that the writer of that profile was strongly fighting the urge to add "lol" to the end of that.

18. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Calling them five year-olds is artistic license. :)  I'm very well aware that whoever wrote these is at LEAST in 4th or 5th grade.

I'll rephrase what I said, then..."It's like these profiles were written by someone who didn't pass 4th grade English."

Better...? It's still inexcusable to NOT be perfect when it comes to kids and the English language. If it WAS okay, you'd be seeing these mistakes abound in children's books. Somehow, I doubt that such is true.

19. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    TRANSFORMERS SOFTBALL TEAM WTF!!!!!!! OMG That is the STUPIDEST thing I ever heard! I mean the Autobots are trying to save the galaxy, when are they going to have time to play softball?!! Where did Leobreaker get money for equiptment??? come on now! :lol 

20. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    And that's why it's hilarious. :)