DNA Design DS-01 Susanoo (MP Bludgeon)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jun 16, 2016.

1. kingjakethe11th

kingjakethe11th Scourgeintor

are they making one?

2. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I ordered from BBTS, and they haven't gotten their shipment in yet. And the more I hear about the little issues, the more worried I become.
    Right now, I figure I'll just keep my order in, and hope for the best...

3. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, those two pegs on the back are completely useless. The other one broke off today and transforming him back and forth from tank mode is so much easier. (^.^') Again, it doesn't affect the cohesiveness of either mode at all.

4. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yes.

5. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    For those that may not have noticed... Just got this guy and the post on the turret that plugs into his back has a notch that fits a key in the back. The pivot was rotated 180° on mine so the turret wasn't staying plugged in. Make sure the notch and key are friends and you should get good traction on that turret staying put.

6. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star 3 2 1 Countach!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great feels cheap. Thick flaky orange paint.

I have a piece that won't stay together. The lower flap on the back is warped or something and came unglued.

7. NemesisGamer

NemesisGamer Bane of Your Wallet

So far I'm liking this guy. He is not perfect and there are some things that bug me, but overall I'm happy with my purchase. :) 

IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0982.JPG IMG_0983.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Alrighty, finally got my copy, and I must say I'm glad I kept my order in.

I haven't had much time to mess with him since I had company coming over, but I did run through some of the problem areas people have mentioned, and I did transform him.

Luckily, for the most part, mine's fine. A few gripes as people have mentioned, but I can confirm:
    1) The turret on mine doesn't stay in securely. It's in there, but I can't pick him up by it as seen in reviews. I even made sure it was plugged in/keyed correctly, and no dice. There is a slight light bit like stressed plastic, so I don't know if there was supposed to be a tab on the turret's plug and it may have snapped off?
    2) Orange paint is chipping in some places. Some on the skirt, but most notably on the feet. Not too big an issue, and I can live with it.
    3) The sword handle is much tighter in his right hand. I was able to get it in, but it was super tight, and I can see how some folks can deem it impossible. Just gotta work it in there... Or shave it down. Your choice.
    4) Transformation is a bugger. No glaring issues, but it is pretty complex. Can't really complain, but some may find it a problem. Maybe a few more runs will clear it up. But he's definitely not a leisurely conversion. If you're going to do it, that's what you'll be doing. At least it isn't a case where tabbing one thing in breaks apart another, so that's good. Once he's together, he's together. I will say tabbing the treads together was scary. I feel like there almost needs to be an additional tread link or something. Unless I'm doing something wrong?

As for some of the other things people have reported: The right leg was rotated inward in the box. Luckily, this didn't result in any breakage, but it does seem like he was carelessly put in the plastic case. May cause a problem on some copies. Mine's fine, but YMMV.
    The right pinky on mine fell off, but after putting it back in, it seems to be secure. Again, I haven't had much time to mess with him, so it may not be as tight as I think.
    Speaking of tightness, the hips aren't near as tight on mine as other people have said. I can easily move the legs and nothing feels like it's going to break.
    Speaking of breaking, the plastic feels good as well. I've felt worse, but I've also felt better. It's somewhere in between, closer to the better. I'm not worried about anything snapping.

Overall, I'm happy. But the little issues on mine, plus the problems others have reported make it hard to recommend him. If you're interested, then go for it. If you're on the fence, think about it some more or wait for a sale. However, if I was to recommend based purely on my experience, I'd say go for it if you're contemplating a purchase.

I should have some time later tomorrow to mess with him some more, but as it stands, I'm happy.

• Like Like x 2
  9. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    In hindsight, this should have been DNA's second figure.

10. Zophop

Zophop Active Member

Skelly's review for Susanoo is up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. murphytronus

murphytronus Im not Shardimus

12. gaseous clay

gaseous clay Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine arrived while I was on vacation last week, but even after I came back I wasn't able to really fiddle with it until last night. Like on Saturday I changed out the face, pegged in the scabbard, and took some pics of the figure with sword and gun in hand, but didn't get around to trying to transform him.

So when I finally tried last night, I noticed this:

treads rear.jpg

The piece connecting the upper leg tread to the hip on the right leg is wrong, its the one for the left leg. I shoulda noticed earlier that the tread wasn't fitting correctly under the right hip armor piece in robot mode. But yeah, I am unable to transform him because the treads on the right leg are misaligned because of this.

Otherwise, I really like this figure. I got if from TFSource, so I have a ticket with them about the situation. When the Concrete in my Constructor set I ordered from them was missing his chest piece, they got me a replacement piece pretty quickly. So hopefully they'll be able to help me.

But that was an easy situation because the chest piece just snaps right in. It looks like the tread connector just snaps into place as well, so if I had the correct piece, i'd just need to disconnect the tread from the connector and the connector from the hip. I can do the former pretty easily, but haven't been able to do the latter yet. Its on there rather tightly and I don't want to try too hard and end up breaking something if I end up having to send back the whole thing.

I would definitely prefer if I could just get the correct piece and replace it myself rather than dealing with having to ship it back or whatever, though it might be wiser to send it back and avoid potentially snapping the plastic while removing the old connector/attaching a new one myself and being totally screwed. The only thing I'm worried about if I have to return it is the special skull face, since it only comes with the first run. I don't want to get a replacement figure and find out it doesn't have the spare face.

13. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yet another one to not have the in between the toes painted for the sandals. Turret pops off easy too. So yeah, not flawless, but the joints are solid.

14. Dunedain

Dunedain Winter is coming

BBTS shipped mine a few days ago. I am on vacay, so it could even be at my house already, but most likely will be for sure, before I get home. The QC issues are scaring me a little, but I am sure it will be ok, and or liveable. No matter, I had to have this figure. I am a MP Transformer/GI Joe crossover collector, and this guy fits right in with that perfectly. I have the GI Joe Bludgeon figure already, so I couldn't pass up on the Transformer version.

15. gaseous clay

gaseous clay Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For what its worth, other than the wrong tread connector, I didn't have any of the other issues people mentioned, the backpack and scabbard peg onto the figure just fine and stick pretty securely. Well, I can't get the sword in his right hand, but as someone said above it sounds like I just need to work it in harder or shave it down.

I actually just shipped mine back to TFsource ten minutes ago for repair of he faulty part. Since you ordered it from one of the online companies, I'm sure if there's a big problem they'll be able to help fix that. I definitely have no regrets, its really is a nice figure.

On a different note, I still have my RotF Bludgeon, and I was going to display it in tank mode with Susanoo, but I'm worried keeping him in tank mode will hasten the rubber melting the plastic. I had it in robot mode on my shelf for the longest time, and wasn't really seeing any plastic damage, since the rubber only touches the plastic a little in that mode. But I've had him transformed on my shelf for the past few months in anticipation of getting Susanoo, and I think I'm starting to see a slight effect, probably because the plastic is now being pressed against the rubber treads in tank mode.

16. TheAce326

TheAce326 Well-Known Member

Still waiting on mine from TF-Direct. Anyone have word from them?

17. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Susanoo_1.jpg

I just opened this guy last night and I have to say that I really like him! As noted by others, he's not perfect. There are A LOT of moving parts and the end result is that he can be a bit fiddly with parts being moved around and knocked out of place accidentally when you handle him, but he has smart use of diecast in the feet and lower legs which help give him a very hefty/weighty feel that's pleasing and offsets some of the fiddliness. Articulation is great, right down to the tank treads being made of individually segmented plastic pieces that can be posed (flapping in the wind or in motion) as well.

The transformation engineering is impressive and I really like what they did with his cannon (being made up of the machine gun and two rocket-firing mortars in tank mode). The swords (and their storage) are pretty cool, even if you'll need a bit of pressure to get the main katana's tab to slot into the palm of the hand (it's a tight fit at first but it becomes easier thereafter).

There are some minor paint chips and scuffs (the orange on the diecast feet are the worst offender) here and there, but nothing too bad. The sculpt is beautiful and I really love the more traditional skull face (the bonus that comes with the first run of this figure) over the more stylized open-mouthed face (it's not a bad sculpt and it does have a lot of personality but I'm not sure it suits a character like Bludgeon).

Tank mode is a bit of a pain to transform into what with all the panels, and it does feel like a more complicated version of ROTF Bludgeon's transformation scheme, but with some neat twists here and there. It's a pretty solid looking tank once it's all said and done.

All in all, comparing the hulking and more powerful-looking Susanoo next to ROTF Bludgeon makes the ROTF version (which is still a great figure and one I still really like) look short and anemic. Susanoo wins, hands down. I really love the design of the Bludgeon character (a samurai Decepticon who turns into a tank with a name that implies that he crushes stuff when he's all about dat Metallikato swordplay), and Susanoo certainly does him justice! Gotta love Samurai-formers!

I'm really curious to see how this guy would look next to Flame Toys (non-transforming) Drift since they're supposedly of similar size (Drift may be an inch or so shorter).

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Dunedain

Dunedain Winter is coming

Came back from Vacay today, and my Samurai boy was waiting for me. Just opened him about 15 mins ago. Obviously, did not transform him yet. I had a Toyworld Devy V2 waiting for me also, so he occupied 90% of my time tonight. That being said, I did mess with bludgeon a bit.

His scabbard pegged in fine. No paint in between the toes, either, not the end of the world. Thumb fell off, popped it back on, no problem. Lots of moving parts, and bits n pieces. Some things feel like they are gonna fall off at any moment, but they haven't yet.

Do the designers realize that a katana blade was meant to be held with 2 hands? You can barely get a 2 handed grip on the sword, but its VERY limited. I think the bot design should have had a slight bit more tolerance so as to be able to hold the sword with both hands better, and in more flexible poses. You can pose him in some pretty sweet poses, though. He looks great. I didn't change the other face out yet, but like the option.

Final verdict is that I really like him, but he is a pose him, and leave displayed, type of figure. Don't f#$k with him, and he wont F@#k with you, by breaking.

• Like Like x 2
  19. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This guy is gorgeous. Got mine today. Just....Yeah.

I loved the ROTF Voyager. It's my no.2 most favorite Movie toy EVER. It oozed style with an amazing alt mode and amazing robot mode. The Headrobots kit makes it even better.

But this has supplanted the voyager one for me. Yeah, like others have said...it ain't perfect, but fuck...NOTHING is perfect. But I think this is my favorite version of Bludgeon and has become my favorite 3rd Party figure. I'm glad....SO GLAD I decided to get this.

20170722_204720.jpg
    20170722_193638.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  20. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    This guy is pretty much a Masterpiece Bludgeon to me.

• Like Like x 1