DJ Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by chocula78, Jul 4, 2006.

1. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    DJ Starscream (aka Sid Wilson, aka the DJ from Slipknot) is a HUGE TF fan, as you can tell by his mc name. How big of a fan is he you ask? Well, he has the Autobot symbol tatooed on the back of his left hand and the decepticon symbol on his right, among others.

The soundtrack for the film has yet to be released and I would not be surprised if he, Slipknot or Stonesour (a side project of the lead singer and guitarist of slipknot) have a track on the final cut. Sid has done work with Stonesour in the past. I think it would be a crying shame if does not get to participate. Hell, for all I know he is a member of these forums and will probably read this.

I think a musician who is also a huge fan would be able to provide the best music for the film. Sid, if you read this, get on your agent and your record label to get you involved in the making of the soundtrack!

2. chocula78

Ebay:
  3. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I understand your logic but there's a fault to it.

Like you said this person's a fan.As such he might design music that a fan will like but that casual or non-fans might not.

What kind of music are you expecting from this soundtrack if I may be so bold?

4. chocula78

Ebay:
    I don't know what music to expect.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I'd imagine it would be music that would be accessible to any fan of Slipknot or a similar style of music, I see no flaw in his logic.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Tattoos and a copyright infringing name, does not a fan make. If that were the case then all of us could be in the movie.

That being said, just because he was in a somewhat popular band and a fan a character in the series doesn't make give him a right or a foot in to be on the sound track or involved in the movie in anyway...

If anything I would just give Hasbro / tak a reason to sue him...

7. chocula78

Ebay:
    The staff made me edit this for a light hearted rebuttal that broke some rule.

*rolls eyes*

So, I will politely disagree with the previous poster.

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I think the soundtrack is going to be more instrumental stuff.

9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    :tocas

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Welcome to the boards - but seriously, this time. People have a lot of fun doing this stuff on the TFW boards.

STEP 1: You post an idea, based on a personal interest and you believe it has some potential.

STEP 2: Everyone finds a reason you're wrong, even if it's mostly bullshit or rhetorical.

For example, I could start a thread where I think it'd be cool and would make a lot of sense if TF classics Perceptor was a mobile research lab, instead of a telescope. At least two of the first four responses would be "Clearly, that's a horrible idea because of this random thing that I just pulled out of my ass."

If DJ Starscream finds a place on the soundtrack, I think it'll more be due to brand name recognition - the name "Slipknot" on a soundtrack would sell a few higher copies. The fact that his DJ name is "DJ Starscream" is just a marketing plus, should he end up being on there.

EDIT: Additionally, I think the era of Hasbro suing the pants off of independent fan artists is over. I would assume they've come to their senses and seen what it does to marketing. Dinobot.com comes to mind. Yes, I'll admit to and I understand that DJ Starscream is using that name alone to sell albums, but I don't think he's making enough revenue, in the end, to take a serious marketing chunk out of what hasbro could make off of the name.

11. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Hey you are in luck

The Calgary Stampede Parade is on Friday, I will find it and piss on it...

It was always a contention of mine that George Lucas made a point to sue anyone who would use any Star Wars lingo in anyway. That being said, at what point should they stop and say 'DJ Starscream has piggybacked the popularity for his image, it has to stop.'

I suppose the image of the property must be thought about as well. Does Hasbro want to be affiliated with a band like slip knot...

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    I guess that's up to the Hasbro Legal department, isn't it? I would assume that the primary factors that go into a decision like that are...
    1. Is this independent fouling our brand name?
    2. Is he making a lot of money? Is he making enough money to detract from our sales?
    3. Would the press from a legal action hurt Hasbro sales badly? How badly?

Again, this is only assumption, but I THINK that if the answer to two out of these 3 questions is "No," then it's reason enough for their legal department to let this issue go.

Also, SO FAR AS I KNOW, Lucas's vigilant suing of everyone who uses the Star Wars brand name died off a while back. Again, I could be wrong; I haven't followed Star Wars news for a while.

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Considering that his last 'update' on the wicked cool website was 2004 I would likely say he probably not much of a risk to Hasbro's bottom line...

***waits for angry slipknot fan to respond***

14. chocula78

Ebay:
    I don't think DJ Starscream enjoys a great deal of profit MCing under that name. Tattooing the symbols on his body are not an infringement of copyright. If that was, George Lucas has a lot of skin to collect as I see Star Wars fans as some of the most inked geeks in fandom.

Sid Wilson receives most profits from his work in Slipknot. Although his name may be copyright infringement, his collaboration would lead to other bands joining the soundtrack, especially those on the Road Runner label.

I think instrumental would do well in the movie but from a marketing standpoint you need some marketable songs for radio play and music videos. Spiderman accomplished this very well with some scenes using instrumental interludes and a soundtrack full of popular bands and artists (ie. Corey Taylor, another member of Slipknot).

Does anyone else know of some popular bands who are also huge TF fans?

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    There's a punk metal band called "Shockwave" which does overly-distorted, barely-audible howling riffs about each Transformers character. They suck hard.

There are "The Decepticonz" AND "Tha Decepticonz," one a ska band, the other a rap group out of Australia/New Zealand (can't remember which one)...

DJ Transform out of Miami...

Can't think of any others. I've seen a lot of folks use the Autobot symbol over the years I've been doing college radio, though.

16. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a DJ on a hip hop station in NYC that calls himself DJ Megatron. I die a little inside everytime I hear him.

17. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Is he killing you with his phat beats?

18. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i also have both Autobot and Decepticon symbols...but on my forearms...Decepticon on right. Autobot on left..
    i just got Generation 1 Megatron on my leg.