Diurnal/Nocturnal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I tried waking up early today just for the hell of it.

I went to bed early. At around 12-1AM. I got up at 7:30.

And let me tell you, I can't do mornings.

Even back in school (elementary, middle, high) I couldn't do mornings. I wouldn't be coherent until after lunch. I don't know why.

I normally picked late classes in college. I did try a few semesters to do morning classes but that didn't fare well either.

I managed some high end restaurants in the city and the mornings killed me as well.

My current job with the A's has a morning here or there and those days are death.

So I conclude. I am nocturnal. And I've come to realize that since society is mostly diurnal, it is hard to be a nocturnal person in today's world.

As far as careers go, there's only so much you can do for work at night.

If only electricity and the lightbulb were invented earlier. :( 

2. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Earlier than a hundred and twenty years ago? Or wait, more like 200 if you take gaslighting into account. Not quite the same but it still lit up the cities a treat.

But congrats on finding another ism. We almost had racism, sexism, ageism, religionism, and weightism sorted out and the lawyers were gettin' worried that they'd have to take up business law or some crazy thing. ;) 

Edit: I suppose I could have just said "I like to sleep in too but you are being silly" but I watched House last night and I'm rarin' to get my caustic on.

3. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I'm DEFINITELY a morning person, it's a throwback from when I was a kid and I'd wake up at 6 am Saturday morning to watch 7 hours of cartoons :D 

I can go to sleep at 1am and wake up at 6am if I had to, I've just got a natural alarm clock. For me sleeping in is me staying in bed till 9am

There's always working at a Convienience store ;) 

4. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

On average, I usually wind up going to bed between 4 and 5 am every morning. Luckily, my job starts at 1pm... perfect for my sleeping habits, or lack thereof.

5. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Early? 12-1am? Try going to bed at may 9-10pm. That should work much better. Or if that doesn't work go and have some kids.

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Well considering I usually go to bed at around 3-4AM, yeah, 12-1AM is early for me.
    I wish it were earlier so maybe society wouldn't revolve around daytime.:D 
    Yeah, my job now with the A's usually starts at 4PM until late night so that fits perfectly for me as well. However, there are those weekend day games that hurt me.

7. Phy

News Credits:
    I was gonna do a big infodump about how being diurnal is as much an evolutionary characteristic of our species as walking upright, but I find that picturing you throwing open a curtain and hissing "the legends of the daystar are TRUE!!" is far more entertaining.

8. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yes, damn those first hunter/gatherers for setting the trend. And yes, my curtains are closed most of the time.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Same here, can't do 1st shift. Tried and tried and tried, but always late late late. People used to literally crawl through my window to wake me up in the mornings

It's also hard to 'go to bed' , next day comes to fast. Passing out is the only way to crash. It's so peaceful at night

Now Im woken up every morning with "waaah waaaah wahhh" , man kids are great.
    Sleep is now broken up into catnaps. People prolly think im on drugs half the time

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

whenever I don't work for a while, my sleep schedule falls towards going to bed around 2-3 am and getting up around 10. luckily for me, I don't need a lot of sleep, either. and I agree with ya, CM, it's so much more peaceful and chill at night when it's dark out and most people are inside.

11. Phy

News Credits:
    *shakes fist* Dude you're leaving me no openings for the funny. Next time, Gadget... next time!

12. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

its 1:43pm. I just crawled out of bed. I've never been a morning person. I prefer to work jobs with an afternoon or midnight shift.

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pfft, I go to bed around 11:30-12:00 every night, and wake up at 6:45am every day, just to get to school in time for registration, I'm fine, I just fall asleep during my free-time at school.

Except Weekends, then I go to bed at 11-12, wake up at 10-11 the next day.

14. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Well, I tried to hang, but at 10AM, I crashed onto the bed like a Russian Mig fueled by vodka.

It is now 2PM and I just woke up and I still feel tired for some reason. I think the morning thing did a number on me.

15. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

Eat some eggs. The protein boost usually wakes me up when I'm sleepy after waking up.

16. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Your Daystar, it BUUUUURRRRNS!

*is so not a morning person*

17. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

God I hate mornings. It's just getting out of bed that's the killer. Once I get to my car and off to where ever I'm going it's no problem.

18. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I was completely shocked and slightly offended to find out that I became a morning person shortly after I bought my condo six months ago. Despite my bedroom being on the north side of the house and the two windows therein covered by room-darkening curtains, for the life of me, I can't sleep past 0900 on my days off even if I tried. Unfortunately, my bf is a night person, and is not amused by how adorably frisky I am at the asscrack of dawn.

When I was living with my sister, and prior to that my parents, it took a lot of effort to get to bed by 0200, but now it takes a lot of effort just to stay awake until midnight. Sometimes back then there'd be days when I'd completely miss daylight altogether!

Growing up and getting all adulty is weird. I mean hell, if on my days off I'm not out of the house and doing errands by 1030, I feel like the day is wasted!

19. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I try to get to bed around midnight every night and wake up at 7. The Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks help somewhat.

20. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten up before 10:00 in the last two years. Mornings suck. I work 4pm-12am, stay up til 4 or 5 am, and get up at 11-12. :D