District 9

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by newguy, Jul 19, 2009.

1. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    You must have missed the part where the
    main character was yelling at an alien to stop pissing on his own house
    . :lol 

You need to prepare yourself for the angry thoughts I'll be sending your way for not supporting one of the best movies in recent history. Can a movie ticket really be that prohibitively expensive?

2. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    just got back from seeing amazing.

3. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    spoilers

Their tech was biologically based. Everything was somehow powered / triggered by their DNA. Most likely the liquid was an extremely potent (going through a extensive refinement process) DNA based fuel that re-coded the underpowered human DNA when exposed to it.

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OK Nice... None of the people I saw it with liked it!

I thought it was great, one of the better films i've seen this year. Don't want to give anything away but I feel like it was well worth it.

Just a side note... my friends thought it was going to be something like Aliens... If your expecting pure evil aliens killing humans... you have the wrong impression.

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Just came back from this, pretty good flick, definitely one of the better movies I've seen this year.

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Yup, that's exactly what I gathered as well. Especially because
    the "fuel" in the cylinder looked exactly like their black blood.

7. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

so why was
    Christopher covered in red blood then?

8. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    I saw it the second time a couple hours ago, and I have a new favorite movie! 10/10 :D  Loved it, and IMHO, pwns Transformers, G.I. Joe, Star Trek, and the Star Wars movies, any day of the week.

9. newguy

newguy i

Well I'll be seeing it in the morning. So far it sounds good. I heard the CGI is better than ROTF, but i'll be the judge of that. From the trailers it looks to be the same, but TV and the big screen can be very different

10. GogDog

News Credits:
    I dunno. Ask a fictional movie biologist. They had all different colors of fluids coming out of them at different points.

11. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Easily the best film of the summer. Completely schools all films this summer even in visuals for me.

I haven't been so enthralled with fictional weapon designs since Alien's M41A Pulse rifle.

Not only the guns either, the mech was so fookin cool. I like how they also didn't make it a completely invincible god suit too.

Action was through the roof. Anything dealing with the alien weapons on humans was nuts. I'll echoe the sentiments earlier that the film is one of the least gory gore-filled movies in recent memory. Alien guns shoot, alien gun kills. No inbetween.

Really suprised me with the characters too. I had read that Wikus was a sympathetic character but for about 2/3rds of the movie the guy is the most selfish asshole in recent cinema memory.

Chris: "Dude, I have to get my people off this planet, we're sentient beings too ya know, have a home waiting, and nevermind the fact that we can kick your limbs off and you guys are total dicks."

Wikus: "Cool whatever man, can you fix my arm so I can fuck my wife again?"

Chris: "Yeah, right after I save my people from your people's horrible expirements."

Wikus: "DUDE FIX MY FOOKIN ARM B4 I GET A GIANT CAN OF RAID ASSHOLE"

I was nearly about to lose hope in liking the guy but Neil is able to turn him around in the grand scheme of things. Though I guess this just furthers the qualities that show that Wikus really is just a imperfect human deep down.

While the movie is perfect as a stand alone film the ending leaves a huge opening for a sequel and really seems to imply it. I do have high hopes for a sequel but I kinda worry that this one will make a crapton of money and the studio will throw a big ass budget at Neil and start getting there studio mitts all over it and the sequel will lose sight of what made the original so great and become just a big dumb action movie.

I wouldn't mind just eye candy from this universe but a film just focusing on visuals would never be able to compare to D9 if it didn't attempt to be a real story again and I'd much rather prefer something like a artbook for pure visuals.

I also want toys.

EDIT* Something else that comes to mind was those weird scorpion things that they used like roosters in cockfights.

Where they another species of aliens used as pets or food, and are there more aliens we didn't get to see?

12. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When the aliens run, walk, and sometimes even move the CG is done pretty poor. It's still tremendous for a $30 million dollar movie. But it isn't ROTF in terms of CG.

13. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Saw it yesterday. Great movie, I loved it.

14. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i disagree. i found there were more moments in D9 than in ROTF where i was thinking "holy crap that actually looks real. is that animatronic or something?"

15. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    same here, I got the shivers when they first appeared on the ship (?)

16. Gozer-Bot

Gozer-Bot Banned

Oh, that.

That one joke.

Out of such infrequent toilet-humor, which was all over in a matter of moments.

Instead of it being one after another, after another, after another, after another, after another, after another, after another, after another, after another, for two and a half hours.

See what I'm getting at, here? Yeah, kind of forgot about the house pissing during, you know, the engaging plot, action sequences and character development.

Good try, though.

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Is this movie that good?

18. GogDog

News Credits:
    He was just joking. I guess you missed the part where he loved the movie? Stop being so god-damned defensive.

19. Gozer-Bot

Gozer-Bot Banned

Oh, that one post.

That one post, out of millions.

That one meager post

That one juicy, scrumptious po--
    [​IMG]SILENCE!

AAA! OH GOD I'M SORRY

Anyway, hellz yeah, I'm defensive. I love this film. It was the first genuinely smart film I've seen all summer and I'd defend the foock out of it. I hope the Fallenites waddle in here to babble about how it wasn't krunk or ballin' enough so I can feed off of the drama that produces.

20. GogDog

News Credits:
    :lol