District 10 and TF3, battle for the box office

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Moy, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    District 9 was by far the best alien movie I have seen yet, next to TF. For those who are still thinking about it (like I was) take the time to watch it, I ended up enjoying it more than I thought.

There was a lot of nice special effects, action and nice load of alien arsenal!:drool: 

So, a couple of questions I'd like to address:

1. Based on the fact that transformers and District 9 are both alien movies, I felt that D-9 had a bit more to offer when it came to technology. Transformers needs to step up and demonstrate more of their weaponry and alien technology, that's one aspect that makes alien movies amazing. Should we see more TF weapons, on both the Autobot and Decpeticon next time around, or something that should be left out?

2. Will D-10 be more anticipating than TF3? To me I think It just may be, considering that most people (like me) enjoy watching a serious movie, with a mild level of jokes, something D-9 did, and TF lacked. I'm hoping Bay saw this movie and learned a bit from it.

3. In a slight way, I felt that D-9 was a bit like what Transformers could be if it was rated R. I also would think that if Transformers was approached more this seriously, it could have been more powerful of a movie, rather than a movie for teenagers. Transformers was always meant for the younger audience, so maybe a rated R movie is never going to happen. So, would you like TF3 to be more serious with less jokes, or continue being the same, with the unnecessary humor, but still remaining PG-13?

4. My last quesions regards the two films. Both Transformers and D9 are great movies, and different on many levels. We know now that Transformers as a movie is a great accomplishment, as is D9. So for those who have seen it, will district10 dominate the box office, since people are constantly after something new and fresh? Or will Bay/Spielberg's Transformers prove once more that they are the masters behind both alien technology and alien action on the big screen?

thnx! :thumb 

Attached Files:

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does a D-9 sequel exist anywhere other than your imagination?

3. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    uh district 9 isnt having a sequel

4. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Yupp.

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

No, District 9, though being a much better movie, will not beat TF3 on the box office. It deals with racism, negligence, it doesn't make you feel all giddy and warm, it makes you think about what makes us humans "humane", about how do we rationalize the things we do to others etc. and those are things that general population doesn't like to watch or think about.

6. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

other than the obvious no sequal yet clause.

its a pretty good discussion topic because I only wished Transformers was a more serious film. Its not like you have to dumb down transformers for kids to fall in love transforming robots. Prettty much thats an easy sell.

However I would say if any thing Bay doesnt learn from others he pretty much only does what he wants which in theory sounds like a good idea but that ends when you realize that Bay really hasnt got the talent to go it alone.

If the franchise was handled with respect for what came before instead of this Macho disdain that he has for the very thing he makes a movie of then maybe I would appreciate the film more.

instead what you end up with is a juvenile unmemorable mess of a story.

I love the CGI great job there it all looks really good but its just not interesting enough to keep watching the movie over and over once the initial wow of the visuals has worn off.

With out the great CGI transformers 1&2 are B movies at best.

sad but very true , very true

7. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    uh, yes it is.

Neill Blomkamp, the film's director, says "the studio wants a sequel," in an exclusive interview with the Sci-Fi Movie Page. The 29-year-old South Africa-born filmmaker said it's already being referred to as "District 10."

Entertainment Weekly also said on its Web site that the critically acclaimed tale of extraterrestrials living in squalor in South Africa "is destined for a sequel, ASAP."

Read more: 'District 9' headed for 'District 10'? Sequel already being plotted for hit sci-fi flick

8. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    A District 9 sequel? Great :banghead: 
    And which do you think people would rather see? An R rated hard violence gritty movie about Aliens in Africa or the ultra cool badass transformers movie with all the face ripping

9. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Uh...........

10. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    District 9 shouldn't get a sequel. That would just ruin everything. I like D-9 just the way it is.

11. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't see the link, seems you may be right.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It is a bit crazy that a lower budget film like District 9 managed to have cooler weapons than Transformers. Of course it's a bit odd that Transformers 2 had a larger budget but somehow the weapon effects just didn't seem as cool as some of the weapons effects from the first Transformers film.

Really split on the idea of District 10. While I really enjoyed District 9 leaving things without answers really helped the film to stand out in all the usual ending style films. On the other hand it was interesting so I wouldn't mind seeing more of that world.

I would be hard though for a rated R film to net a bigger box office than a PG-13 with a massive marketing blitz behind it.

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed that TF3 needs to up it's game in terms of cool weaponry and gadgets etc. All we really got this time was Ravage's Balls, everything else was pretty generic (guns 'n shiz). In the first one we got treated to a smorgasbord of melee weapons.

14. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

Hey maybe that Halo movie Jackson was working on could be put through and that could be the kind-of-sequel-but-not-really-thing where the aliens come back to exterminate humanity and it is up to one special human (master chief) to stop it.

15. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    "I would be hard though for a rated R film to net a bigger box office than a PG-13 with a massive marketing blitz behind it."

Yes, movie ratings do have a big impact on the numbers.

In movie making, especially sci-fi flicks it's sometimes difficult not to fall under the pressure for sequels.
    In TF1 Starscream flew towards outerspace, and there were people who thought there might be a sequel because of that scene. And there were those who did not want a sequel and felt it was good enough, and a sequel was green-lighted later. If a film has great potential (story), and a need to grow in the industry, and especially makes good money, then it's usually a good sign a sequel will be underway, and that's the case with D9.

It would be interesting to see both sequels released on the same year, something I'm sure might happen. (summer 2012) :thumb 

16. KingStarscream9

KingStarscream9 Destroy

I dont think that D9 will earn more money.I remember when I saw D9 trailer I wasnt even interested of it.Its trailer wasnt as spectacular as TF trailer was.and when you see posters of both movies ofcourse you will choose tf becouse who would chose prawns in the slumdog?
    But as its said-never think about the book from its outside.when It was ending of rotf in theatres I was like-cmon finnish faster.
    While waching D9 it was like -no dont end its so interesting.
    comparing CGI of movie transformers WIN but comparing story-FALLS so badly.
    Adding more blood and stuff would not help transformers in 3rd part.it allready failed with nest,stupid humour,alice etc.and if unicron would show up that would be completly unrealistic...
    anyway my vote is for new director this time.

17. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I could so totally see District 10 as some sort of Halo setup, ya know, Peter Jackson & aliens, an' all.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Without the great CGI, Transformers 1&2 wouldn't exist. Perspective, please.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Not just the melee weapons but it seemed like the second Transformers was missing out on some cool ranged effects as well. Blackout's energy wave weapon from the first movie just seemed so much cooler than anything that was fired in the second movie.

20. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    The production said they're working on a sequel. So it could be a District 10 movie.

Great spoiler there, thanks. We have spoiler tags. USE THEM. - TT

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.