Customs: Dissassembling MP Skywarp?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by KRZTFR, Feb 24, 2010.

1. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble taking him apart any tips or clues?

2. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

yeah, do it very carefully ;) 

which parts specifically are you having trouble with?

3. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

mainly how to take off those covers that hides some of the screws I would like to know the best way before I scratch or break something

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    he's tough to take apart (working on one also) I was able to easily remove the wings (which helps a lot) but it appears a lot of the parts are glued or pinned together.

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Any specific areas?or pics?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  6. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

like I said its mainly how to take off those covers that hides some of the screws

7. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    From my experience in totally disassembling my MP TC to paint: The two hardest screw covers are the ones that are the upper rear calf area. Technically, they pull straight outwards, towards each other (they actually touch in fighter mode). However, I found that the only way to get them out was to carve/cut at their bottom edge (bottom as in fighter mode bottom), and then pry them upwards (as is top of fighter mode) with a small screwdriver. They are REALLY glued. Every edge and surface. But they WILL come out if you keep prying them upwards. Though I'd suggest cutting along the seams as much as possible to try to slice through some glue. I think it's pretty much impossible to get those two out without SOME cosmetic damage, but you should be able to limit it to just the inner surfaces in bot mode, and no visible damage in jet mode.

I don't really remember any other screw-covers that were necessary/difficult---the ones for the upper arms are easier to simply ignore and work around by removing pins etc. They would certainly be destroyed trying to pry them out, they're very thin at the edges.

The most difficult pins by far are the ones for the chest missiles. The one holding the center/lower crotch armor piece is also hard, be careful RE-inserting that one.

The one holding the intakes on is IMPOSSIBLE to remove. I don't know of anyone who's gotten them off, even for very heavily customized ones. It's one giant 4in long pin, that is knurled in multiple places and attaches to multiple pieces. I'm pretty sure the cockpit area would shatter before that pin lets go.

8. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I tried to dismantle a wall mart Skywap and some of the caps were clued in place, really annoying

. It was my first attempt to take a toy apart also.

Hope it goes well for you

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hehe, that's brave.

The first toy I disassembled was a G1 Ironhide, only I didn't take him apart as he was like that when I reopened my collection as an adult. We'll just say that he was my first reassembly :) 

Sometimes when disassembling a figure, if the parts are glued, you can use an X-ACTO to pry the glue off and pull the parts apart. If it's pins, we've got a tutorial on pin removal. Pins can be a pain, so if you can paint or kitbash around it, taking the pin out can be useless.

I hope that helps some :)