Dissapointed with Masterpiece Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Movebuster, Mar 19, 2007.

1. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He has a seat on the inside of him. I agree on the mirrors and mudflaps, but where are you getting 8 tires?

I only see 6.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think megatroptimus is right.

Divided wind sheild, front bumper, six wheels, large semi box-shaped front and flat rear, fuel tanks, horns and smoke stacks?

Nope, doesn't look a thing like MP01.;) 

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now that I think about it, you're right!

MP Prime looks absolutely NOTHING and bears NO resemblence what-so-ever!

4. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :inquisiti 

I must say that the lackluster paint apps are the main reason I didn't get MP SS, well, that and the lack of more diecast (I want my $100 toys to feel like $100 toys!). Plus, I don't TF my toys very often, so the few weak points that he, apparently, has aren't of much concern to me. However, I can certainly see where people that really want to play would be disappointed.

As for MP Prime, his alt mode may not be a spot-on replica of a real life COE tractor, but he's my favorite Prime so far, and the best, IMO. And, the bot mode is near perfect, IMO.

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Your picture clearly shows 8 tires at the back (4 sets of 2).

Anyway, that's cool with me if you can live with the illusion of MP Prime being good in cab mode. On my own shelves, I know which Prime is the best.

6. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those are Duely tires. One tire, double thickness.

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

G1 Prime only had 6 tires as well, and no mirrors.

As far as "low expectations for high end toys" goes, MP Convoy/20th Prime is the only "high end (over $20)" toy I own, and it's lovely, so the alt-mode isn't a perfect replica, the robot mode would be shit if it was, imagine how skinny his legs would be.

I'm very sorry that the legs and exposed waist in cab mode ruin the toy for you, however I enjoy it thoroughly.

oh... and here's a truck that's a bit closer to Prime, he's based off of a mid 70's Freightliner COE.

[​IMG]

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Both Masterpiece Convoy and Masterpiece Starscream have design flaws.
    Now.
    Looking back at page 1, I see a question. So. at the risk of bucking the trend and actually answering it: If you're disappointed in MP-03, sell it and get something else instead.

9. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I answered it.

I told him "It's not unreasonable at all".

10. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    megatroptimus, your opinion is not paramount, you should stop arguing with people just because they like something you don't. Get over it. Just because you dislike MP Prime's alternate mode does not make it some fact that it's just universally shit. It's a matter of personal taste. I'm sure you've got more pressing things in your life to worry over.

11. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Onesock, you never answered this question.

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    And you're wasting your precious time to remind me? ;) 

By the way, there are 8 tires at the back, it's just a very common dual rim (4 of them) assembly also seen on tons of other vehicles. So 6 wheels and 10 tires total.

13. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Justify it however you want, but the whole "I know what's good and what's not AND WILL FIGHT YOU OVER IT" attitude makes you come off like a giant ass. I'm not saying you ARE one, but just saying it seems you're getting too fixated on your own opinion to the point that you're not accepting that of other's as just as valid. You saying it's horrible doesn't make it universally so, where your arguing over it seems you feel otherwise. It's a small example of a larger issue that has bugged me tremendously as of late, the whole "this sucks that sucks, you have bad taste for liking what I don't" etc attitude so many people have, I'm just foolishly trying to help lighten people up from that.

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    But I DO know what's good, that's the thing. :p 

The only disapointment with SS was the not really painted pilot that came with it. It could have been much better. Landing gears with suspension would have been cool too, and nullrays with LEDs as well.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Me too, which is why I have three versions of Vector Prime.... :wink: 

My take on MP-03...I also feel some disappointment. I managed to get myself so freaked out from all the stories of various problems/breakage that I've been afraid to even take it out of the plastic tray. I've never once touched it, let alone changed it to bot mode. I shouldn't have that level of trepidation about a high end collectible toy.

16. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    If you follow the instructions and manipulate it properly, you won't break it. Now open it!!

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I drive a tractor trailer for a living, so I know them pretty good. Those dual tires on the back are not one rim and one fat tire, nor are they one rim and two tires. They are actually two rims each with their own tire. The inner rim is curved out and the outer rim is curved in so that they touch in the middle and then mount to the wheel hum on the same lug nuts.

And I agree with megatroptimus, MP Prime's alt mode looks terrible. Sure, it has all the parts, but they are all in different scales and in the wrong places on the truck. Not to mention exposed hydraulics ( on the back of his elbow ) that don't even belong on that part of a truck. As a truck driver, I'd be ashamed to call MP-01s alt mode a truck. G1 Prime may not have more detail, but his details are more accurate to the real thing.

18. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd like to know what the guys at takara were smokin' when MP starscream was
    released looking like... a prototype:banghead: 

19. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    When I wrote dual rim, I meant sets of (2) rims. I didn't know how to write it properly.

20. TimothyVernon

TimothyVernon Well-Known Member

masterpiece starscream is amazing, one of my most favorite transformers, and the color rules.