Displaying your collection

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by megamus, Mar 27, 2006.

1. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Well here is the problem. I've gotten book shelves and stacked them up on each other. Filled every shelf up. So then I go ahead and build custom shelves that are deeper and go the entire length of the wall..... Looks like I'm gonna fill those up too!?!? So the question is, if I don't have the shelf space, do I stop????? Where does it end? Do I convert a whole room into nothing but shelves? Someone give me some advice, make me feel as though I'm not totally crazy with this wild and wacky hobby. I hope I'm not alone in this.....
    MegaMus

2. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I used to have mine all over the room but now I only display 14 TFs: my alternators (and a g1 soundwave) and that only takes up the equivalent of about 2 shelves. Everything else is in a box(s).

3. megamus

News Credits:
    I think the problem is that I collect too much. Vintage Star Wars, G.I.Joe, Robotech, Transformers.... I think I need to limit my collection

4. spyderbytez

spyderbytez ALTERNATOR FANATIC TFW2005 Supporter

You could always get rid of some :)  i have open arms :) 

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We had a whole thread about running out of room down in the Toyark. :p  Though it sounds like you do collect too many different things to keep it all displayable. One thing you could do is (for TFs anyway) just display the most recent non-G1 line and leave the rest in storage bins. Leave a dedicated shelf section to the current line that just rotates through the line. Might work with other toy lines too, I dunno.

6. megamus

News Credits:
    I actually started selling off parts of my collection. I had a very large collection of vintage Knock offs , gobots and newer stuff. Now I stop at Beast Machines. I do get Binaltechs and with that line supposively ended that will stop that. I might cut back on all the variations, I mean just how many Bruticus' do you need in your collection. Then there's the boxed stuff???? If I do decide to cut my collection down I'll definately go to the boards first... Gotta take care of my fellow board members. :rock 

7. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just pack everything into boxes, while at the same time inventoring them into a spreadsheet, (or like me, you're already adding new toys as you get them into a spreadsheet). :)  Put the toys away, then print out the spreadsheet and tack it onto the wall. :D 

8. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    when i get into that situation, i "thin" out my collection by getting rid of stuff I probably don't need.

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yup. time to cull the herd. yee-ha!

10. ashe5k

ashe5k Well-Known Member

I've got mine taking up several sections of bookshelves in my living room and all over my computer desk. I'm running out of room. I'm not stopping. The Alternators have taken over my desk and my ocmptuer area. The others are mostly boxed up in the living room displaying on the shelf. I've had to double up alot of stuff so to get the whole picture you kind of have to dig throguh a bit to look at everything. If I didn't have cats I'd have them all out and untransformed, but they have a habit of launching missiles or running off with weapons or just knocking them off if I do that.

One of the things I've always done though is only picking up molds that I like or that are a character I loved in the show. But then I'm only really collecting TFs anymore though. I haven't even gotten Cybertron Optimus or Galvatron, yet. I used to collect Spawn figures and Gundam kits, but it came down to them or the TFs and the TFs won.

11. megamus

News Credits:
    the problem is that everything I collect has meaning to me. My father used to work at Kenner and brought home Star Wars figures almost every week so they have to be displayed. G.I.Joe was the standard when I was growing up and I remember my friends and I playing with them. Robotech was my favorite show so I must keep them as well. And finally Transformers just plain rock. So you see my problem. I have thinned out the collection and have to decide if I want to keep things boxed or loose but cannot keep both. Also, like I said before I am going to cut down on the variations. I am glad to see that I am not the only one with this problem.

12. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    How displayable is it really? Perhaps some boxes are worn and can be put in storage instead. Perhaps some parts of the collection are too mixed for a coherent display anyway. But whatever you do, don't sell items that have had affectional value for a long time. You will regret it.

13. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

Your dad worked at Kenner? That would kick ass. I have almost the same prob, kinda a quality over quantity issue. I had the whole basement of my old place or my toys, now I will only have a small room. It will be all mine, floor to ceiling shelves, but still may be tight. My suggestion, either group together tightly, or store some of the less important ones, then you can cycle between the ones that are less meaning-full. For me in the new room, things like the crappy Tomb Raider figs, may not see the light though.

Hmm... too may toys, what a great problem to have!!!

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I put majority of my TFs in bins and tubberwares and only take a few out for display at a time. You don't need to display all your TFs at once unless you like all your collection to be out in the open.

15. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dedicate a room to them, if you can. That way, when people come over to visit, they won't know you're a total nutcase unless they look inside of that one room. It works for me!!

16. StarAngel

StarAngel Long live the Decepticons

The problem I think a lot of us can relate to. Now I don't know how you got things laid out in your home, how much space you have and so forth. I have one room totally dedicted to toys. About a few months ago, my husband put shelving that I have in my toy room in a section of our bedroom (how he loves me). So far only Energon and Cybertron/Galaxy Force take up that space. But one day it will run out. I use very little space in the living room with loose toys. I put my MIB toys in curio cases out there.
    A few pics. Maybe that can help visualize what you can do.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I hope you will be able to find a solution without getting rid of some of your collection.
    The other idea that others mentioned here about displaying only so much and put the rest into storage is another good idea.

17. StarAngel

StarAngel Long live the Decepticons

Oh by the way I rearrange my toys a few months ago. Pics are last year. I was able to fit two more shelves on that TF wall by using the size of my toys to my advantage. All small toys like Mini-cons and PVCs go on a shelf that has less head-space. Really helped.

18. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Really nice collection StarAngel. So is your husband as into TF as you are?

19. megamus

News Credits:
    Here is the problem. I have a lot. I cannot display my collection the way you did Star Angel. To give you an idea of what I am talking about, I constructed a set of four shelves. These shelves are 8 feet long and almost 2 feet deep. I also have 4 standard bookcases that are 6 feet tall. Everything if filled so much that seeing everything is difficult. This is just for my transformers. I would love to display the others but cannot see how. I have my collection in the basement because of the heat and light. It is the best place, low humidity, no direct sunlight and moderate tempertures. Once I find a solution I'll have some pics to post.

20. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't have enough walls in my house to display every last TF. I'm not buying repaints anymore, unless they are G1 homages, on the show.

We're planning to buy a bigger house. :D