Display room lighting to minimize sunfade?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by 3.8TransAM, Mar 27, 2011.

1. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

So after moving rooms, aka swapping with my sons, what options are there for room lighting. It is literally 99.9% Transformers with the xception of a few cars.

I keep the blinds closed and plan on adding drapes to the window, but use them sparingly at best and only angled down.

I have to paint 3 walls of the room white and the last will stay a tan'ish color(main case is on that wall and its too big/annoying to move again), so cover it in plastic and paint I will.

So as far as nice even room lighting goes, what are the most safe. Flourescent or LED or even plain jane incadescents? Just trying to stay away from anything known to easily cause yellowing since even most of my originals are in good shape and still white.

So looking for some good ideas, let me know what u do to avoid it?

Thanks

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    IIRC, yellowing isn't necessarily the suns fault. I remember there was an article on yellowing SNES's, and they yellow on the inside as well as outside, so its more an atmosphere thing, sped up by temperature.

Incandescants radiate heat, I'd say they could speed up the yellowing process.

Personally, my TF's are either stored in the dark, on in display cabinets along the living room wall quite high up, with no dedicated lighting. That way they never get direct sunlight on them.

I have toyed with the idea of strip leds to put inside the cases, but dunno if I can be bothered.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've always heard that florescent lighting was extremely bad for yellowing plastic. I've been stocking up on incandescent bulbs in anticipation of their ban.

4. 3.8TransAM

So what is the preferred method of room lighting then?

Plain old incadescent bulbs or go LED.

Just want a nice lite bright room, but know sunlight is out in my room especially in AM when sun is on back of the house.

Got to find a new lamp cover for the cieling fan since its smoked albany or some crap thats frosted and not near clear and puts off no light itself

5. 3.8TransAM

I would have thought there was more info floating around for this?

We are all trying things to remove yellowing from figures but not how to prevent it in first place?

6. Roger Semerad

Roger Semerad Transforming the World

This topic has come up a lot. I've found this thread the most useful - http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/309564-what-actually-causes-white-plastic-yellow.htmlmake sure you read link to ventage computing and gaming. Flourescent lights do emit uv radiation, but if you want to use them there are uv filters you can buy for them.
    finally here is a link that details how to protect your collections from everything from light and smoke to theft http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/278828-insuring-protecting-your-collection.html

7. Mr Grimm

Mr Grimm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My old copy of Mario World is quite heavily yellowed, despite not being anywhere where sunlight (or any light, in fact) could get to it. It also looks like the plastic is actually degrading rather than just going yellow. Strangely, the Metroid cartridge that's stored with it is fine.