Display cases

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DeathStorm, Aug 6, 2007.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I started a thread in the "TFW2005 Supporters only" area about display cases. I got a lot of good responses and a lot of "this thread is useful" comments so I wanted to throw it out to the genreal board and see what other information I could get.

I'm coming home from Kuwait in less than a month and will be getting a new apartment. I was wondering if anybody had any good display cases to suggest. I'm looking for something with doors on it and black or brown wood.

A lot of Ikea cases were suggested (including a really nice glass one) when I posted this in the other area. The problem is that I don't have an Ikea store near me. I can always travel to the one in Pittsburgh or pay an arm and a leg for shipping.

So share your ideas and thoughts. I want something tall enough and with enough shelf space to accomodate the tall guys (ie: Metroplex, Omega Supreme, Sixshot) but still short enough to put my MIB stuff on top of. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  2. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    These guys have really nice display cases, and they are willing to do custom work too.

Plus if you really don't want to buy them, they are nice enough to include diagrams and measurments to build your own if you download their brochure :sly: 

3. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Regular wood shelves bought anywhere. 10 gallon aquariums upsidedown over the toys. Don't laugh! It works and looks cool.

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    These closet organizers are what I'm currently planning on using for displaying my TF's:

[​IMG]

Along with these doors on them to keep them as dust free as I can:

[​IMG]

They're made by Closetmaid.

5. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I have an old stereo cabinet my mom found at a yard sale for $1... I was glad I didn't have to spend a lot on it. Holds a lot of my more precious items.

[​IMG]

Lot of times you can find bookcases or stereo cases at yard sales or stores closing them out to get new models. If you get 2 or 3 that match.. they'd be pretty cool.

I like mine b/c it's nice and low so things can fall off or out of it easily.

6. killahbuny

killahbuny Well-Known Member

at the moment Im using plain old shelves but i really want a fancy glass cabinate to display my favs in and i need it soon because im oficially out of shelf space as of sunday!!!! need to make room for movie prime!!!1

7. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been looking for something just like that, but god knows what the shipping to California will end up being.

Anyone know of any similar alternatives, preferably in the sub 500 range? I don't have tons of room, so I gotta make the one cabinet I have room for count. If it wasn't for smoking :yuck  I wouldn't need the doors and I'd just get plain shelves

8. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I bought a cabinet at Wal-Mart years ago for my display. I wanted something with solid doors to protect from the light and these were something like $40 or $50 each. Had locks, movable shelves... Worked well.
    I eventually bought a second one and split the Autobots & Deceps onto different shelves.

Actually, I might have an old pic from my website.... Yep - Can't really see the doors but they are there.... You can even fit a Fort Max on the top shelf...

[​IMG]

9. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

bfar, not sure when exactly but there will be an Ikea store opening up in West Chester Ohio which is about 95 miles away from Columbus. Check the ikea site.

10. BadJeff

BadJeff Bite my shiny metal ass!

11. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Big Lots has a really great assortment I've found. They're great for display, keeps them clean..And generally run about 150-200$ which isn't bad. Easy to put together, and hold up very well. All with tempered glass so breaking and chipping have never been a problem.

12. Shockwing

Shockwing Perfectly cromulent. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I have all mine in Ikea "billy" bookcases with black/brown finish. Plus they have glass doors too. Looks pretty sharp.

13. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:

Awesome, I am not the only one who does this.

14. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

I went to Ikea the other day and picked up the Detolf display cases, worked pretty well imo and fit quite a bit into each level.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You can get curios at pretty much any furniture store, though they're usually a bit spendy.

Also, doing a search on Craigslist for 'curio' or 'display case' usually yields some decent results. My first display case was from a furniture store, the second was from someone on Craigslist.