Customs: Display Case?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by rebornee, Oct 26, 2010.

1. rebornee

rebornee Well-Known Member

I need to get a display case for my transformers they need to be 24x 30x 72 inch. well 2 of them anyone have some plans or reasonable priced place to try?
    Rebornee

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    local sign shops might be your best bet. Otherwise you can search online for acrylic cases.

3. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

If you live near an Ikea I'd recommend their Detolf display cases:

IKEA | Dining storage | Display cabinets | DETOLF | Glass-door cabinet

They are a little smaller at 16x14x64, but if you don't need continuous space you could grab two of them and make up the difference.

I have two of them myself and have been meaning to get more. Also, at ~$50 a piece (picked up locally) it is on of the least expensive options available.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    appreciate that link. I need to buy a few of those for the NJCC in a few weeks, couldn't find a link...
    question; are they quick/easy to assemble?

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At home depot Plexi glass is cheap and so is wood trim. Make it to build :) 

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    would cost a fortune and take too many hours. Typical 15x15x15 display cases are about $50, building one will cost more than that. plus there's a lot of work needed on the edges/cutting/etc.

7. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hey mike i have 3 of the detolf cases and they are relatively easy to build, however once built they are very heavy and fragile to move as the glass holds the top tow parts together so remember that!

but for the price they are like £35 here in the UK they are great.

8. XJunky

Very simple to assemble, I think it took me 20 minutes to put both of mine together once I got them out of the box. I think they weigh around 80lbs, and as nellie131 mentioned they're pretty fragile being made of safety glass, so do exercise caution when moving them around.

Are you running a booth at the convention?

9. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    The boxed Detolf allegedly weighs 93 lbs...they are simple to assemble. Haven't had to transport them very far, though, so take extreme care, naturally.

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    YES! and hoping to get 2 of these displays for it, load them up with customs. possibly run a laptop to a 42" flatscreen in the back of my booth. not really selling anything retail, just a display type booth. Are you going?

11. XJunky

I would love to go, but it's the weekend following my birthday and we're having a little bash to celebrate my 30th year :)  You need to make it to a Botcon one of these years!

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    haha, I'm planning a dealer booth for next year.

13. rebornee

rebornee Well-Known Member

Surprised with all the customs on here nobody has tips for building a display case for them. Not sure if I want to make it out of wood or metal. Was thinken metal just weld it up but not sure how to add the shelves. just use some angle iron for the frame.
    Rebornee

14. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For about 30 bucks it's a pretty simple build with wood trim (runs about a buck per 8 feet- 8 ft. x 3/4 in. x 3/4 in. Baluster Square Pine Moulding - PNE0239 at The Home Depot ) and plexi glass ( OPTIX 18 in. x 24 in. .093 OPTIX Acrylic Sheet - MC-05 at The Home Depot) or even better, hit a goodwill and find those entertainment centers with glass or end tables.

Metal wise even shelving brackets (not sure what they are called but they look like angle iron with slots and a lot smaller) run pretty cheap.

Add some of those metal embossed transformers symbols and your good to go.

This is a budget case btw.

15. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

I picked up a couple Detolfs on eBay and just assembled the first one yesterday. Sadly, driving to the local Ikea dealership isn't an option for me since the closest one is in Texas. But I feel it was worth the cost (about $100 more than if you picked one up in person). Here is how MP Prime fits on one of the shelves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I get my second one set up, I might do a couple TF-exclusive shelves with some of my MP and Alt figures.

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Fishdirt, if building them on your own is something you'd recommend, do you have any to show us?

Also, the IKEA detolf is widely used by members in the Collections Showcase forum. I'm currently looking to go this route for my G1s and so forth eventually.

17. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nothing to show, no. I build a lot of things on the fly for a means to an end. For my videos of drawing I built my own camera rig for 2 bucks instead of spending 30-50 for something. My audience on ustream seems to like it and I can actually draw without a cam in my face. My mind pretty much figures out what I need to do to get something accomplished (I think this was something picked up in film school where everything was no budget).

I figure for this you would border the plexi, for stabilitly, with trim. Add brackets to attach to the frame. I am basing this on a friend's display. If you want the thing surrounded in glass then that's where it'll start eating money.

Me? I'd just hit goodwill for a book case and buy a couple sheets of plexi. I don't live in a museum :)  Course moving to Sweden next year I'm thinking Ikea.

Anyway just tossing the options out. If you don't want to put the work into it hit goodwill or order from Ikea. If you like work and being hands on but on a budget there ya go.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd love to see some of your work; feel free to post it in Radicons Customs and Fan Art :thumb 

I really like having multiple options for this sort of thing. Thanks for sharing :thumb 

19. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another idea for a DIY case...I noticed the 7 foot bruticus...it'd be neat to see a display case transformer :) 

I'll post some cards from official sets in art :)