Disney's Gargoyles #1

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DrSpengler, Jun 24, 2006.

1. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

So anybody else eagerly anticipating this book pick it up?

C'mon, Gargoyles was a badass cartoon, bout time we got the proper 3rd season.

Here's my review, relatively spoiler-free.

http://www.bcomicbooks.com/?p=22

But long story short, this looks to be an awesome series.

2. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I didn't even know Gargoylses was coming out as a comic:eek:  !

3. DrSpengler

I knew it was coming, but it didn't get nearly enough hype and the issue just kinda snuck up on me.

It's gonna replace "The Goliath Chronicles" as the official season 3, as Greg Weisman had no hand in that season and never liked it.

4. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

I saw this and thought it was for the old Comic series. I might get that and Flash now along with what hits this coming week.

5. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

When does this come out?

6. DrSpengler

2 days ago.

7. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I don't think my local ordered it, I would have noticed. What company is it from? I'll have ot put it on my pull list, nad may end up grabbing this issue at another shop if I can.

8. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Oh man, I've been waiting for this for some time. I'ma be picking up a copy when I move to PEI this week. Finally, I'll be going to an actual comic store.

I love the fact that it takes place after the cartoon, roughly 6 year cliffhangers suck.

9. DrSpengler

Slave Labor Graphics are the company.

There's already a lot of similarities between the story they're setting up in the comic and the story we got in Goliath Chronicles.

There'll be a huge focus on the Quarrymen, but hopefully they'll be handled better this time.

There was even a little nod to the Goliath Chronicles, when Vinnie mentions that he was offered a security job in Japan.

Still, I want that guy to get as much attention as possible. He was my favorite minor character in the cartoon.

10. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Crap. I knew this was coming out this week, but when I got to the comic store today, I didn't even think to look for it. Didn't even remember it until I looked at this thread.

11. DrSpengler

I'm about to storm Disney's offices and demand they release the Season 2 Part 2 DVD before I die of old age.

This comic just makes me want to own those episodes even more.

12. Copperfire

Copperfire 100% Fembot

I used to watch the show. I thought it was pretty neat.

I wouldn't mind reading about them in comic book format.

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Hmm. This is very interesting. I had no idea Disney was licensing their properties for comics books again, beyond what Gemstone Publishing was doing. Who is the company that is publishing this and what were the circumstances that led up to Disney actually allowing this to happen? I'm really happy for all the Gargoyles fans btw. The last time Disney released a Gargoyles comic was back in the early 90s when Disney revoked their licenses from Gladstone Publishing because Disney though they could do a better job running their own comics and that way greedy Disney would also get all the profits. It all but wrecked the steady distrobution of comics with Disney characters that had been around since the 1940s. The late 1990s to early 200s maked a long 5 year period where no comics with Disney characters were being produced in the US period. Just another chapter among many in the comic book industry fiascos of the 1990s.

Of course, the circulation for the Gargoyles comic is probably going to be very hard to get your hand on, because the Disney store would never actually carry Disney comics. That would be too logical. Of course these are the same Disney stores that complete forget the birthday of Donald Duck this year. In case you can't guess I have a big love-hate thing going on with Disney.

But I really would like to learn more about this new Gargoyles release.

14. DrSpengler

Well, as I mentioned earlier, it's being released by Slave Labor Graphics (the guys who publish Jhonen Vasquez's and Roman Dirge's stuff like Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Lenore).

Disney's only recently been trickling out the DVDs of 90's material, and doing a poor job with most of it (Rescue Rangers and Duck Tales don't contain the pilot movies!).

I suppose the Gargoyles conventions, fan outcry and high ratings for the late night Gargoyles reruns finally gave Disney the idea to license out a comic on the property.

I'm not a hardcore Disney hater, but many of their business practices and just out-right ignorance of demand irks me at times. Aside from the character developement via Goof Troop/Goofy Movies and Quack Pack, they've completely ignored the 90's era of Disney television animation.

I watched House of Mouse every day in hopes that Darkwing Duck or someone would make an appearance. That never happened.

Still, they're actually trying, kinda, with the DVD releases of the shows, and that's better than nothing, I guess.

15. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Actually; I am led to believe that Disney released Ducktales and Rescue Rangers on disk in Production Number Order, hence the missing pilot movies which may have had different production codes. It's possible they'll be included in Volume Two; if they ever manage to get around to it... I just hope they've changed that stuipd idea for the upcoming Darkwing Duck and Tail Spin.

Also; the reason why they seem to ignore their cartoon properties may stem from misscomunication between the creators and the like, I mean it couldn't be hard to include these characters in something. Unfortunately House of Mouse isn't a proper venue for such a thing; if only I could get my idea to them I'm sure they'd think it was excellent, but then again for all I know they could say it's utter crap. I want to see some of the things you do and a lot of people probably do; hence why I wrote the concept/pitch to begin with, but they won't accept unsolicited bodies of work and at this current moment I haven't got a damn clue how to get it solicited to them. :cry 

16. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Both TaleSpin and Darkwing Duck WILL include the pilot episodes. However, the Talespin pilot really should be done in it's original movie format that hasn't been seen since it originally aired. The 4 part version is edited. Several episodes have been edited (of both it and Darkwing) over the years and it's unsure which versions will end up on DVD. The TaleSpin episode "Flying Dupes" may not end up on DVD at all considering Disney hasn't ever shown it agin in the US since it's first airing, though it did air a few times in Canada, back when TaleSpin was still in syndication.
    That said I'm looking forward to owning both DWD and TS on Aug. 29th!

17. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Why were the eps edited? They should include both versions .

18. Shipwreck

I thought this comic was a step in a different direction and not with the Quarrymen?

19. DrSpengler

The first episode of the Goliath Chronicles, "The Journey", was the only episode of the series written by Weisman and thus is the only episode of the series that's "canon" for Weisman's continuity.

After the Journey, Weisman had no hand in the Goliath Chronicles and the series went in a completely different direction than what he intended.

He always wanted to do the Quarrymen, but not in the way the Goliath Chronicles handled them.

We'll find out what that means in August.

20. Shipwreck

How much control does Disney have over this comic and what is the comic rated?