Disney's Bluray Packaging

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prowl, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just picked up UP and Monster Inc on Bluray, which includes the DVD copy and an Itunes Digital Copy for 20 bucks and 18.99 at Best Buy.

I think the rest of the industry needs to learn from this...

That way, even if you don't own a BR player, but plan to one day, your investment in the DVD copy gets you a BR for later, and at 20 bucks, no one can complain about price gouging with BRs.

2. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Agreed.

I only have the PS3 in the living room and it gets annoying when the fiance wants to watch a movie in the living room on the PS3, and I'm stuck with a DVD player in the bedroom and spare room and a bunch of Blu-Ray discs.

Movies like Up and Monsters Inc. that throw in the DVD version as well work out better for the consumers that are transitioning to Blu-Ray, but don't have the funds to do it in one fell swoop.

I just ordered a Blu-Ray drive for my PC for the spare room, so now its just the bedroom...bluray player or PS3?

3. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    I think it's a neat way of doing it. That way, the kids can get their dirty little hands all over the DVD and watch it on a regular DVD player 90 times a day, and the parents can keep a pristine Blu Ray copy for the big expensive home theater. And the sets are fairly cheap.

I just can't get into digital copies though. I've had conversations with friends and coworkers who get all excited about being able to put the movies on their cell phones or other portable devices and my question is "do you really want to watch a two and half hour movie like The Dark Knight on a screen the length of your thumb?" To each his own, I suppose.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is a sound strategy.
    i endorse it.
    now let the other companies follow suit immediately.

5. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Blu-Ray release of X-Men: Origins Wolverine over here comes with the Blu-Ray disc including all the extras and a DVD copy that seems to be the same as the stand alone DVD copy, but also includes the digital copy for a portable device.

ROTF and Star Trek also seem to have the same editions as Wolverine here, and it's a welcome edition in my mind.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not in mine, those are the only editions avaialble for those films over here and they have higher prices then stuff without them.

I don't have a problem with Disney since they arn't charging extra for it, but I don't see why I should be gouged by other studios for 2 copies of a film that i'm never going to use just because I have the audacity to have already migrated and not be interested in watching films on mobile devices.

If anything, it just looks like they are using it as an excuse to try and keep BD prices artifically high in the face of massive retailer discounts. It seems even more suspicious when you consider that they are doing it with the films that are likely to be the top sellers, but not lower profile or catalouge titles.

7. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just check and I see what you mean about them being the only editions available. I though they were released along with a Blu-Ray only edition.

I do see your point that the Blu-Rays are still expensive and agree that they might be using this way to keep the price higher than the normal DVD release, but the two films I mentioned seemed to be around the price of the Blu-Ray editions without the DVD you'd find on-line.

8. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Get rid of the extra dvd copy and the digital iTunes copy, adjust the price by $5 as a result, and you've got a deal. I have a blu-ray player, so the regular dvd copy will never get played and I hate watching video on my iPod, so I'll never use that either. In my opinion, it's a waste of material disguised as a "value." It's like going to a fast food place and ordering a soda and getting a combo meal instead. I'm not hungry, I just want something to drink.

9. RabidYak

The RRP for them is 30 rather then usual 25ish for new films. Granted the difference is only a couple of quid after online discounts, but they're still charging more and they're still doing it when Disney arn't.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't consider 20 bucks for UP to be so expensive while containing the DVD and Digital. Especially since I have paid 24 bucks for special edition DVDs before.

But I on the other hand do watch movies on my Iphone so I welcome the digital copy, and again, priced for the same amount as what Itunes charges for the SD digital copy alone, I can't really find room to complain.

At Best Buy at least, I have not seen an overpriced BluRay (that's not a special edition, which would have been marked up on DVD as well) in a while. I just bought Superman Batman Public enemies for 20 bucks on BR, and I don't think I have spent more than 25 since Bladrunner, and that was a 500 disc set.

The Blurays sold are equivalent to the special edition DVDs. So when you get Transformers on DVD for 24 bucks instead of the 15 dollar bare bones one, you are spending the same on the BR that includes all the features of the SE DVD set, and then some (and I still got ROTF on BR for 20 bucks).

11. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, looking at Amazon and Play for both ROTF and Star Trek the RRP are £30 as you said (ridiculously high, I agree and I would never pay that for them) but both are selling the Blu-Ray with digital copies for below the £20 mark and compared to the 2 disc DVD copies the prices are very similar, only 2 to 3 pounds difference in price (though Play have a steelbook edition of Star Trek on DVD that is the dearest of them all)

I do agree that you aren't really getting the option of having the DVD copy or not but certainly the prices online for them don't seem to be vastly higher than they would be for just the Blu-Ray editions.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You guys are getting a Digital Copy of ROTF with your DVD? That sux, there isn't a Digital Copy even standalone in Itunes... not even to the first movie.

13. RabidYak

Its more the principle of it that annoys me. I know its only 2 or 3 quid more, but its like i'm being taxed for being a rapid adopter that doesen't need SD copies anymore.

Still, i'm more then willing to wait it out until a new edition or discount since I hardley ever buy BDs on release day anyway. Making an exception for Terminator 4 thougth since Play are knocking a tenner off TSCC S2 if you buy them both at the same time.

14. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like to think of it as a way to avoid the family moaning at me for getting films in a format they can't watch.

Actually... that might be a bad thing. Touching my precious discs without using white gloves :( 

15. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

You could always buy it and sell the DVD copy cheap to a friend/relative who doesn't have a BR player yet? Or go in half on it or something?