Disney Executive states "Story Doesn't Matter"

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just because you throw $200 million at a movie, doesn't mean that it's going to be successful.

By his thinking, films like Poseidon, Prince of Persia, and The Sorcerer's Apprentice should have been knock-out hits.

3. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Surprise level = 0

Tron Legacy, Avatar, Alice, half the blockbusters from the last year or two; all visually grand yet literally meaningless or recycled stories. Make it pretty or fill it with pretty people and it will sell.

4. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    :lol  What the fuck? Seriously?

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Yes, it is true that the story of a major motion picture doesn't matter. The proof is all over the Blockbust movies of the last Decade.

He has balls to come out and say it though.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    and ol Walt is doing 5000 rpms in his grave.

seriously Hollywood needs to get a clue.

7. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

Not surprised at all after being forced to watch some disney channel shows/movies

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes this has been discussed in many forums. But the basic consensus is this guy has his head up his ass. Yes you can make some money in the short term, but in the long term, most of these won't end up it a collection of greatest films ever libraries. They are flashes in the night, pretty at first, but forgotten in the long term. And it's not always guarenteed to work.

A good story will work as words alone. Visuals and voices only enhance them. A good story will often work with less than perfect visuals, look at the original Star Trek or Doctor who, they didn't exactly have a large budget, but years later people still remember their stories. Look at Water World, it cost a fortune to make and had a poor story.....The last Air Bender.....there are many other examples. Star power and a big budget doesn't always equal a sure fire money maker.

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Someone explain Avatar then.

Sure effects and star power does not mean big $, but more often than not it works.

10. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Ratchet: That fool is terribly misinformed

Still i like the recent disney movies :) 

11. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Yes Avatar was recycled, but it was at least a simple story that worked plot wise. However there was original elements and it was directed well. But he mentioned movies like Alice in Wonderland that doesn't measure as well.

12. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Hollywood doesn't care if their films make "best of" lists 30 years from now. They only care that they make a profit every year off of the films they produce. The people in charge of making films are not artists, they are business executives. They may use artists to achieve their goals, but accountants and market analysts are far more important in today's market than any artist. This disney guy isn't saying anything that film buffs don't already know. The best storytelling for adults these days is happening on the small screen where the financial risks are not as big. Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad and Dexter are a few examples. Movies will continue to be marketed events for young people, more about their branding than their artistic integrity, for the foreseeable future.

13. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    And there in lies the problem, audiences are fickle, generating fads only works for so long, then the audience gets bored or sees it for what it is. In a market where they are competing with the small screen, video games, and the internet, the large scale movies become a bigger and bigger risk. If they don't work, they can lose a lot of money. If they simply took a little more time on the story in the first place they wouldn't see as many major flops. Look at green lantern, they spent a fortune on marketing, had a huge budget, and they are unlikely to break even.

If you go to bat with a poorly thought out story, you take a risk, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but if you put more effort into the effects than the story, you can be looking at huge losses that may not pay off.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    As much as I dislike this kind of thinking, part of me agrees with him. I think that story should be important when making any movie, most especially when trying to make a great movie. However, there have been quite a few financially successful movies that have ignored any form of story at all. Just look at the Transformers movies, which have been full of CGI, explosions, and eye-candy, they've made a pretty penny for themselves and Hasbro, but they're completely void of any kind of story. Worthless movies as far as I'm concerned, but they'll be considered as a "success" my most purely based on how much cash they brought in.

15. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    The risk of a film has nothing to do with the quality of the story, but rather how well it is marketed/branded. You can release a total turd(hello TF Films) and make a billion dollars a go if you promote it properly. The amount of time a film has to make its money in today's market is measured in weeks and the vast majority of it is made in the first week. The story isn't getting those people into the seats because they don't know what it is yet. It's the marketing that does it. Make your film an event and it will make money more times than not, no matter what kind of crap is on the screen.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    :banghead: 

Also I'm in the Avatar sucks bandwagon.

17. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

dear disney executive

you are one dumb motherf***er.

sign,

a former disney fan.

18. Christian Prime

Christian Prime SF Ibuki & Makoto Fanboy!

I like The Princess and The Frog (that movie got me into the Prog Rock Band, King Crimson) and Tangled (Well, that movie got me into Kamen Rider W/Double). :) 

Also Tron Legacy was good too. Quorra being the top character. ^_^

19. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    I would like to see Nostalgia Critic's response to this statement

20. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reminds me of a quote from 'Waking Sleeping Beauty' when Jeffrey Katzenberg first came to Disney and sat down with the artists. According to one of them, Jeffrey said something like, "I don't care about the Academy Awards. I'm more interested in the Bank of America Awards." And supposedly, this did not sit well with the artists.

Still, even if you spend millions on advertising, it doesn't mean you're going to clean up. Take films like Speed Racer or Last Action Hero.

Though we often talk about US audiences being really stupid to fall for alot of these badly-made movies, but in recent years, the majority of money for some movies seems to be coming from the foreign box-office.

One could almost make a filmmakers guide out of how not to make bad movies by watching the stuff the guys on Mystery Science Theater 3000 had to sit through. There's plenty of bad story lessons to learn there.