disney done with fairy tales

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by seeker311, Nov 22, 2010.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
  2. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Are there any more left for them to do?

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

They're not going to stop Princesses, not a chance in hell. The movies? I can see them stopping. But considering a whole Disney sub-brand is focused totally on the princessess and has been relatively successful, I don't see how Disney is going to let a money maker like that go.

But I do agree about Disney needing to move on, they've done everything they can with fairy tales that hasn't already been done to death. Maybe a return to the old cartoon roots with Mickey and pals. I know I'd love a movie based on the storyline from Epic Mickey.

4. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Being short of new ideas hasn't stopped Pixar.

5. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

My immediate reaction was 'Why? Did they run out of them?'...

6. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't understand this "we need the boys too" mentality that Disney's adopted over the past few years. Disney has enough properties to keep boys happy, and girls have plenty of money to spend on what they like too. The popularity of Hannah Montana and Twilight proves that in spades, and The Little Mermaid was the movie that saved Disney feature animation.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

well they should try something new, like combining the princess theme with superheroes.

make a superhero princess! lol

they own marvel after all, if they are short on writers, just borrow one from marvel.

8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.

9. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Stopping malking princess movies becuase boy's don't like it is a piss poor excuse. isn't the reason they bought Marvel to have a boy demographic property?

The second reason listed in the article makes me start to lose hope for society

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Marvel has some of the worst writers right now. All hype and no story. If they got a marvel writer they would kill off the main character and hype that it was going to happen in the posters.

11. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Like Wonderwoman? LOL!

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Oh please it's as if all Disney does in Princess stuff. How about instead of eliminating Princess movies because boys find them icky you come up with some original ideas for both boys and girls.

Enchanted is a perfect example of original ideas. G-Force is a good example too.......sure, both are shit movies but hey, that's the road you take.

13. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Disney animation studios presents: Dazzler.

5 or 6? Six!? Oh...*paces around*...Someone needs to get physically hurt for that...I donno who, but somebody.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    :lol 

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Wonder Woman is DC comics dude. Taking the piss is much better when you get it right. And frankly I can think of worse role models to have than my favourite Amazon Warrior Princess (you did get that part right)

As for dropping the princess thing, well I know I'm sick of Uncle and Aunt drowning their daughter in it and all the bullshit that it entails so maybe this could turn out well if Disney decide to a new, well thought out IP for girls.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Why would disney want to stop one of its most profitable merchandising streams just because boys think its icky? Then again, they'll probably just keep marketing the same 5 princesses they have been for years.

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'd go see that.

18. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Yeah, the reason why The Princess and the Frog didn't make them enough money. It had the word "Princess" in the title so everyone assumed it was for little girls. I told my guy friends it was a good movie and only 2 of them bothered to go see it, the rest would just casually brush off my suggestion. That's why Tangled is called Tangled, it was originally going to be called "Rapunzel" but they said only little girls would want to see it so they changed the name. With it's new name they think it will attract both girls and boys.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Disney make way too many shitloads of money from pandering to the fantasies of tiny little girls who want to grow up to be princesses (and Hyena. Stop hitting me dear) to ever stop making money from them.

20. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I'm pretty sure when girls fantasize about being a princess.... they don't want to be a frog. That's got to have something to do with the lack of interest in The Princess and the Frog. Plus the movie it's self wasn't strong. Don't get me wrong, it was an okay movie... but by no means was it up to the classics level Disney is known for.

Disney is making the same mistake it did before when it abandoned traditially animated films.... it's not doing well so apparently people don't want to see this type of movie. Enchanted was a damn entertaining movie... and it's animated opening was fantastic. Honestly I think this is what audiances want to see in a princess fantasy film. More Beauty and the Beast.... less Frog in the Swamp. It's not that difficult to figure out.

I'm not saying Princess and the Frog shouldn't have been made. It was a nice getting back in the swing of things movie. But, to use it as an all or nothing judgement on what people are going to pay to see.... is just plain stupid. If they wanted to make a movie that people would notice.... they should have made an animated Wizard of Oz.

Disney has had an animated film release every 1-4 years since Snow White in 1937, actually inventing the animated feature.

50 feature films counting Tangled...
    ten of which were what I would consider "princess" type stories
    thirteen if you count fairy tales in general

So it's no suprise to see them move onto something new. But, it's the declearation of there's nothing fresh to be done with fair tales that bugs me. Disney just expects everything they do to be huge hits. But the truth is, one never knows where the hits are going to come from. Take for example The Lion King..... Disney considered it a B picture in comparision to Pocahontas in production at the same time, as thier A picture. Lion King is still to date Disney's best performing traditionally animated film (aka non-Pixar).... and Pocahontas kind of flopped in comparision. Did that mean audiances just really wanted to see an animal movie more than an Indian Princess movie? No, Lion King was just a better movie. It was tighter, had better songs, better casting, etc. I guess it was the fact that the higher ups didn't much care for what was going on during the production of the Lion King that allowed it to be good. Less interferance equals a better movie? Usually I'd say the answer is yes, in most cases.

There is no need to worry about the genre of film that your making.... just concentrate on making good movies.