Customs: Dismanteling a Classics Megatron?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by canonball, Feb 12, 2011.

1. canonball

canonball Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone had any success in taking apart a Classics Megatron?

I have a United Megatron that is having issues with his right arm properly locking into place in bot mode. I'd like to replace the part that stands flush against his torso and joins his right arm to his body, and I picked up a Classics Megatron to use for just this purpose, but holy heck - this figure is not meant to come apart, is it?

Any advice? Or should I just forget about this?

2. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I have both Classics and Henkei Megs and have never actually taken either of them fully apart, but I have managed to take apart a KO version. Not that it probably helps much since the part I think you're talking about is held together with a pin, screw, and rivet, and the KO I had was just screws and a pin. That said there is a tutorial on removing pins and rivets, but it's scary and I've never tried it myself.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

No, it's really not meant to come apart. :p  Those shoulders are each held together with a screw and two flat-head pins, and those pins are a devil to get out. Your best bet is to grab a soldering iron (by the handle :p ) and follow the tutorial Quickwing linked to. I have successfully done it a few times (not on this mould), but be warned that it takes a lot of care and patience.

4. canonball

canonball Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the replies, guys, and holy cow. I think I am just going to have to let well enough alone with this one. There's too much risk involved and the cost involved in replacing a United Megatron should I make a mistake will be a tough pill to swallow.

Looks like I'll be exploring alternate methods!

5. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can you post a picture showing exactly what is wrong with him?