Dislike of G1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CeilingTroll, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

I don't take issue with this thread or the opinions within it. But I think alot of people don't understand the g1 purist mentality that seems to be at the heart of every argument on this board.
    I'll start by saying g1 is the only series that has any meaning to me. Over the years, I've watched every series only to be disappointed by them. I eventually realized I'm a G1 purist in every way. The only reason I'm able to come up with is the fact that I'm 35 years old now and am too old to enjoy kids cartoons. I guess I lost a sense of adventure along the way. I can still watch every original episode and love the shit outta it because transformers was the biggest part of my childhood. The adventure was everything even if it didn't make sense at times.
    I view my involvement in the fandom as I view d00ds who just had to own another 1970 Boss Mustang fastback like they had in their youth. Sure you could go out and buy a newer one that has more horsepower, handles better, more creature comforts, etc, but it'll never be that vintage iron which represented that time in your life.

BTW, if it isn't obvious, this isn't an argumentative post. The intention is so you can understand the mindset of those who can't "move on" with the franchise.

*Edit* Woohoo, reply 100

2. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I wasn't even alive when G1 first aired, but after watching reruns every morning on The Hub, I actually like G1. Let's get this out of the way, there are a lot of cheesy moments, but it feels so nostalgic. The characters are all likable and the Decepticons were villains you could root against. I think the third season is also a little underrated in fact.

3. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    for the most part i agree with this guy. now there is always room for improvement, always, but as i said in a previous thread: i'm not seeing a lot. a few things though, i will admit are cool like armada and animated. but most of the stuff hasbro has thrown at me, i'm not to happy with. now, G1 did have it's flaws, like writing and characterization, but it does deserve some respect. and yeah it was pretty much a 22 minute commercial but 2 things, 1 it was a damn good commercial (to me at least) . and 2. 30 years later and every cartoon or animated movie you see is like that. but i'm 15 so i didn't get to see it air either but i bought all complete seasons and watched e'm over and over again. to me g1 is something you simply can't replace, can't ignore, can't...anything for the most part other than naturally like or learn to like. and i can't see how, for example, someone who grew up watching g1 can just turn around and not like it because the characterization was bad or the didn't like how each episode that wasn't split into parts didn't follow the one that came before it. each episode had it's own adventure which i personally love because then i can screw around with my figures and act like a five year old again, recreating the stuff that was in the episode i just watched.

4. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I'm the opposite, when I saw the G1 series again, I loved it more, IMO, it's campy (as defined by Urban Dictionary):

adj. being so extreme that it has an amusing and perversely sophisticated appeal.

G1 has a decidedly different sort of charm compared to the movieverse, which I also like, though I tend to favor the former nowadays.