Dislike of G1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CeilingTroll, Jan 9, 2012.

1. CeilingTroll

CeilingTroll Assumptions Are Comedic

Often I feel like I'm the only fan who dislikes G1. I can't stand the poor writing and serious lack of continuity.

When I was a kid I saw a really dark and deep show. It inspired me to sharpen my wit. And then I saw it again a few years ago. It was so horrible.

However I can accept that it was an 80s show and most if not all were pretty horrible. However it continues to bother me because of the impact what I thought I saw had on me. I can't seem to get over this feeling of being let down.

Is there anyone else out there who dislikes it? Or am I really the only "anti-G1" transformers fan?

2. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Really? We need another thread about how someone dislikes G1? Seriously?

3. CeilingTroll

There are others? I didn't see any... I'll try searching again.

Thanks for pointing that out. :) 

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "g1 inspired me to sharpen my wit." i'm totally using this :lol 

5. CeilingTroll

lol Go ahead. :) 

I still can't find any other threads. The closest I came to was a thead asking why people like G1 - though I can see how that could turn into a discussion both for and against it...

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The G1 cartoon raped my childhood. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I was pretty damn put off by what I saw on the screen, even as a kid, for my introduction to G1 was the vastly superior comic interpretation. Gutters are nothing to he who has seen great rivers.

Do yourself a favor, OP, and read the G1 Marvel comics. They'll cure you of the G1 cartoon's inanity, and show you what G1 really is.

7. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dislike...G1 :jawdropper: 

Seriously though, the G1 cartoon was cool at the time and imo felt edgier than other shows on kids TV. The only exception I could think of was Ulysses31.

Marvel UK G1 however, does not dissapoint :D 

8. CeilingTroll

I've definitely heard good things of the comics - both US and UK. I used to have a few of the comics but it's been years since I "lost" them...

I'd say more but that's getting into illegal stuff. Though I will end this post with this: I really should have specified the G1 cartoon in my post. I think that's a result of me being raised on the toon... I tend to forget that there even was a comic. >_>;

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Sadly, you're far from alone.

10. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    Blasphemy!

11. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

i echo this statement

Blasphemy...in all seriousness...G1 is more than just the cartoon..get ur hands on some old US or UK comics.....even the new iDW or the older DW stuff is cool..u might like what u read and gain more appreciation for all the glory that is G1..

12. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    While I don't actually dislike the G1 series, it is far from being my all-time favorite.

13. CeilingTroll

A couple of people mentioned them earlier, this was my reply: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-general-discussion/521076-dislike-g1.html#post7090133

Well that's a little comforting, thanks. :) 

14. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    Seriously, most of us hardcore G1 fans know the cartoon was poorly done. I don't think many of us will argue that point. Animated and Prime absolutely blow it away. I love it because it's nostalgic. I loved the toys, the characters, the concept. I don't love G1 because of the cartoons animation or story. On the flip side, I think it's silly for someone to hate it for those same reasons. But to each his own.

15. CeilingTroll

No, that's not why I hate it. That's why I don't much care for it as I don't like watching most 80s shows due to that. As I said: My hatred stems from my being unable to let go of the irrational feeling of "being let down." I know I wasn't actually let down but I feel that way and it's hard to get past that.

To summarize: My hatred of it is irrational.

16. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really don't understand the notion that the G1 comics are soooooooooo much edgier than the 'toon, especially retroactively. Sure, it had slightly darker tones at times and more of a continuing plotline, especially with the UK/US stuff under Furman, but its hallowed status as the "vastly super" or "true" G1 is just as much a product of rose-tinted nostalgia as the reverence for what Sunbow put out. The G1 comics are just as much a stilted antiquated product of its time when compared to modern day comics as the G1 'toon is to TF: Prime.

G1, both the comic and cartoon, are products of the 1980s, and if you too are a product of the 1980s (or even the late '70s), familiar with the tropes and tones of children entertainment at the time, then G1 could hold some legitimate nostalgia-fueled entertainment value. If you watched the show as it aired but never read the G1 comic, you may be able to truly appreciate, or possibly even recreate, that sense the darker tone and slightly-superior-for-the-time storytelling gave G1 fans what the cartoon was missing.

However, if your first Optimus Prime is a monkey or a firetruck or flame-emblazoned, face-taking, murderous psychopath, then I doubt you'll be able to "get" what made G1 so legendary to its then-young fans, and "Carwash of Doom" will seem just as dumb as "Carnage in C Minor".

I've long said that G1, in all its forms, is like Woodstock. That's Woodstock 1969, BTW. Woodstock '94 is more Beast Era's speed, and Bayformers is definitely Woodstock '99, but I digress...

G1 is like Woodstock: It was a momentously influential historical benchmark event, but to truly appreciate what it was, you just had to be there.

17. CeilingTroll

Yeah, I was a kid at the time. Born in '83 so that easily explains why I saw something that wasn't actually there. Though I am intrigued as to just why I saw a dark, deep series... But that's a whole other topic best saved for my social worker. xD

A buddy of mine has merely told me that the G1 comics are better than the toon, he hasn't praised it as being "so much better." That's why I've wanted to read it.
    The reason I want to read the UK stuff is simple: Death's Head.

Personally I think I'll be able to read the comics without bias since what I used to have wasn't actually part of my childhood. I didn't get those till later on, before TFs got really popular again and the price spiked up.

Thanks for a more unbiased view, Pauly. :) 

18. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Actually, the G1 cartoon, while it had it's silly and facepalm-inducing moments, is still watchable for me. The nostalgia factor probably helps a bunch.

Masters of the Universe on the other hand...I tried watching that on Netflix about a month ago and couldn't get past the first episode it was so cheesy. I used to really like that show, but oh man...it didn't hold up very well, nostalgia or not.

19. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pauly t: if it werent for wiki we'd be hearing 'wtf's a woodstock' by now :lol 

I agree with ur assessment of the old marvel comics (both US n UK if u want to be anal about it). tf the comic had at one point the advantage of furman having free reign, practically having editorial control on both sides, but were not talking miller/claremont/byrne level stuff here. Furmans best recurring line was 'time i wasnt here!' :lol 

20. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No problem, Troll. :)  And I wasn't trying to put words in any of your friends' mouths, but just as there are "Geewunners" who see nothing that can match the glorious infallibility of the Sunbow cartoon when compared to any other TF media, there's also a subset of "Geewunners" who will fully disregard the G1 cartoon as commercialized childish pap but hail the Marvel comics as fine literature.

Don't get me wrong, the G1 comics are a fun read, and if you liked the show as a kid and have some familiarity with the style of 80s comicbooks, it's cool to see a different take on those characters and concepts. That said, they were 22-page toy commercials aimed at children like Sunbow's 22-minute toy commercials aimed at children. Still, IIRC, the entire US series has been reprinted at one time or another in TPB, as has much of the UK series. I don't know if they're all still in print, but I'm sure you could put a set together on Amazon or something.

Not to step on your social worker's toes :) )), but I had the same experience rewatching G1 when the Rhino sets 1st came out. I think what captivated us was the vastness of the concepts in the fiction that while unexplored in the media really captured a child's imagination. The idea these giant alien robots from another planet were millions of years old and could be anything anywhere anytime was a thunderbolt to a child's mind. Plus, the toy commercial nature of the show inadvertently led to off-screen universe building that just fueled speculation. Where did all these new guys come from? Where did they old guys go? What were they doing when there weren't in an episode? And what little universe building the show legitimately attempted just spawned more questions. All the animation errors prompted all kinds of logical critical skills building in trying to develop "No Prize"- like answers in explaining them away.

That doesn't even begin to address what the toys did to our brains. I've owned hundreds upon hundreds of TF toys so far in my life, but I've never retained one copy of TF instructions or have ever been lost in try to TF a TF I've TF'ed in the past. Vehicle to robot, robot to vehicle, and back... and each process, hundreds upon hundreds of unique sequences, has been tattooed on my brain for nearly three decades.

But that's my issue... :)