Disguise

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Boy who screams, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Am I the only one who thinks that the incorporation of 'Transforming' in most related fiction is pointless?

I mean, you got IDW and Beast Wars/Machines, where there is a reason for transforming, but in everything else, there's no reason and it doesn't do anything.

One of the reasons I like IDW was that Furman thought of an intelligent way to use transformation. But for almost every other series, Alt. modes are just a method of transportation. In the movie we see Starscream doing some cool transformation fighting, but other than that, it's just generic bad guys shooting at generic good guys. ARGH! Do something clever with transforming!!!

Now, I'm gonna pick on Animated here. That's not to say I don't like it, but it's something I realised the other day. They pick up Earth Alt. Modes to hide from Decepticons, but two seconds later, they're just standing there in robot mode being broadcast across the globe. The only instance I can think of Alt. modes every being used as a disguise is when Lugnut and Blitzwing are hiding from the cops, and even then they're in crazy colours, so you wonder why they aren't found. Why bother saying 'Robots in Disguise' if they're not disguising themselves?

This is true for almost all Transformers fiction, I just picked on Animated because it was the most contextual.

Thoughts?

2. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

Well really there not saying there robots in disguise anymore there just saying hey.. there robots that.. transform becuse.. there transformers not.. Robots that hide in the shape of a vehicle... like the Go-bots

3. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    I've thought about this before as well. But I always just figure "Whatever, I'm sure there's a reason somewhere," and leave it at that. I'm anxious to see some of the reasons people come up with, though.

4. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

But now they're just robots! It's so....generic.
    Admittedly, they're sapient, which is pretty cool...

5. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I noticed that in Beast Wars believe it or not.

I mean... you can't "disguise" yourself as a dinosaur (when they're extinct) or a giant rat/bug (which don't exist =P).

That said I still love Beast Wars =D

6. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Yeah, and they have a reason for transforming though...

Well, until Season 2, anyway...

7. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

*sighs* Look, its not like everybody's/somebody's always keepin' an eye on some individual, and those alt modes help them to blend in at the offscreen time and just before they enter a scene or somethin'.

For instance, even if the Animated crew revealed themselves soon after their arrival, it doesn't mean that people can necessarily recognice'em right away if they're in vehicle modes while in traffic or somethin' like that, since their alt modes ain't the only vehicles of that type on the friggin' planet! (in most cases at least)

If a thumb can hide a mountain, then how wouldn't they remain hidden for at least some time while travellin' from one place to another?

8. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The way I see it is "robots in disguise" is a clever saying. Nothing more. Transforming into an alt mode serves more than disguise. Alt modes can provide better armor, weaponry, faster transport or other attributes. Camo is not the end all be all of the alt mode.

9. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

Simple: It sells toys. Until Hasbro makes a Transformer that turns into a money printing machine, there will always be alt-modes and they'll always be used for silly methods of product display.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Well, technically at taht point the beast modes weren't something you could get rid of.
    Transformers (in fiction) have always transformed. It's just something the species does. Mostly for transportation and stuff. So it does serve a purpose in almost every continuity. (sans Energon, where the ******ed amount of space scenes completely negated any reason to transform) They just Transform, and when they can they use it for disguise.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This. Converting into a jet, for instance, gives a Transformer a more aerodynamic form for greater speed and agility.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Obviously we know that "transforming" at this point is really just a gimmick, and has little to do with the fiction.

However, I think the point of the OP, is that he feels that something has been lost... the superfluous nature of the altmodes has lead to a different kind of storytelling.

I myself tend to agree... my favourite setting for Transformers is not the space operas of G1 S3, or the primitive wastelands of Beastwars, nor the superhero context of TFAnimated. For me, it's the idea of 2 factions of alien robots waging a secret war on Earth, using altmodes to disguise their movements from the Earthlings... because without the support of Cybertron, without ample energy resources, a united human race could pose a real threat to them, Autobot and Decepticon alike.

To this effect, I also tend to prefer the realistic altmodes to futuristic stuff... figures that transform into recognizable real-world vehicles (and not necessarily always glamorous race cars and fighter jets).

I realize robot Dinosaurs are a bit of a stretch, but I can accept the Dinobots as an exception to the rule. :) 

zmog

13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Well, maybe they went from:
    "Robots in Disguise"
    to
    "More than meets the eye."

Personally, I wouldn't mind transforming into a plane or car; it would get me to where I am going a whole lot faster and easier. They are their own best transportation. Or weapon.

And, if they can use those abilities for camoflage, then so much the better.

Not much of an issue to me.

14. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

I agree.

They are more than meets the eye, because they are more than robots with guns.

15. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Why nitpick over a minor thing?

They all transform to get from one place to another. The Decepticons do the same thing as The Autobots. The main difference is that Megatron and his team don't give two flips whether anyone sees them or not.

In Animated The 'Bots are forced to reveal themselves because of the situation they've gotten themselves into by accident. They are fish out of water.

16. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

^^This. Maybe 'disguise' was the wrong title for the thread. It just that transforming doesn't even matter.

And with the 'gives them better weapons and speed' argument, they're robots, surely they can mod themselves anyway? Besides, for a fight they always just change into robot modes anyway...

17. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

I don't really think it's a minor thing. I mean, it's called Transformers, but they hardly ever transform! In the big battle at the end of 'A Bridge Too Close', the only transformations were: Omega transforming, and the Decepticon jets. And there wasn't even a reason for the jets transforming, they can fly anyway and have the same firepower...

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In Animated, there is a slight twist to the 'disguise' aspect. Starting with season 2, the Decepticons all had "signal dampeners" or some such to mask their energy signature from the Autobots (but apparently not Sari and her key). This had led to a few scenes where an Autobot sees a Decepticon in vehicle mode, but aren't 100% sure it's actually them and hesitate (understandable since getting it wrong means they would be attacking a human). Bumblebee also shot at a construction vehicle he mistook for Mixmaster ("dude, why you whalin' on my truck?"). I wouldn't say the disguise aspect is totally dead in Animated, though it's obviously not a primary focus.