Discussion: Will the faction names remain the same?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Roller, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    The more I learn about the new movie, the more I realize that this movie has to be different in many ways than the cartoon, otherwise it will be just plain silly.

That got me thinking, will the faction names remain the same? I mean, Autobot and Decepticon seem kind of silly to me in a real world setting as they are made up of english words which describe earth concepts.

Have we seen anything that confirms the faction names will be used?

One main arguement to keeping the names is that they mean so much to the mythos, even to the casual fan, that changing them would be a bad marketing move, especially for the toys. It's probably not that hard to come up with some clever way to explain why each faction has their respective name. I guess it good be what the military, or the media, names them. "Hey, they're car robots, uh... Autobots, yeah, that's it!" But then Decepticons?

Any thoughts?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    They'd be stupid to change the faction names.

3. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I somehow do not think that Hasbro would agree to that. (And how is what they are called an issue now?) They've had English names since day one. They're machines with computers for brains. If they've been among us for a while, then I'm sure that they'll have picked up a few of our languages.

Even if we couldn't understand their language, I'm betting that they'll go with the bot's are using codenames.

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    They don't even really speak before they come to earth from what I've heard, so my guess is they are assuming English names that come as close as possible to their real names (like "Auto Robots=Autobots" and "Deception Robots=Decepticons").

But yeah, if they changed the faction names it will be one of the worse marketing moves ever.

5. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

Maybe they'll work it along the lines that humans actually came up with the faction names.. In the Superman movies, its Lois Lane that comes up with the "Superman" name, not the big S himself.
    Either way, it would be very unlikely that they will change the faction names...

6. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    THe faction names are as iconic as the Transformers themselves, I don't think they'd be able to get away with not using the faction names.

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    If they change "Autobots" and "Decepticons", they might as well change "Optimus Prime" into "Supremus Absolutus"* and "Megatron" into "Dominator". And the movie itself into "Battle Bots".

*Hands up who gets the reference.

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    It would just give another reason for Geenwunners to jump off a building....

I'm not sure as if the transformers would call them selves by the faction name, but maybe it is something that the humans develop for them. I highly doubt that they call themselves transformers either...

9. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Why would the faction names change? The names will remain the same.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Considering the established faction symbols are firmly in place, I don't see them not using the names (though for the movie story sake, the names may be human-given, as some have suggested)

11. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

The faction names will probably be human-given, not at the beggining of the film, probably by some news reporter doing a report on destruction left by giant transforming robots.

12. soundwave_uk

soundwave_uk New Member

I just dont think that the robots are going to have any character in this film whatsoever, which totally sucks!!

I think MB will go with the whole 'faction names given to them by humans idea' because the film is supposed to have a human focus and following the reaction to these huge robots coming to earth unlike the cartoon which was totally robot focused.

But yes...without a doubt, if the faction names aint here or are changed...i will not be a happy bunny!

13. callmaster

callmaster Well-Known Member

I bet there'll be some sucky love story to it too.

14. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    I'm amazed this is even a discussion.

The faction names aren't going to be changed, nor are they likely to be names handed out by humans in the movie. If you want to take a human angle, then it stands to reason all the Transformers are together, why would they make up 2 names to tell them apart?

15. callmaster

callmaster Well-Known Member

You'll feel the same way about the guy asking if the name "transformers" is going to be dropped from the movie... LOL

16. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

As am I

I mean if I may think logical for a moment.Unless Hasbro plans to market a new TF line with no Autobots,no Maximals,no Decepticons and no Predacons.That'd be the ONLY way that'd happen

And not sure if anyone stated this,IIRC the Autobot symbol is IN the teaser.