Discussion topic. Parents and Friendship

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GWolfv2, Mar 19, 2011.

1. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was chatting to my dad last night and now I find myself thinking today on the concept of friendship between a parent and a child, what the positives and negatives are and how things perhaps should progress through life but may not. I'm curious as to what people think on the subject.

2. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

While the parent is still in the role of caretaker for their child, they must be a supporter, guide, confidante, disciplinarian, mentor, provider, lawmaker, chauffeur, maid, organizer, tutor, representative, chef, landlord, psychiatrist, and a whole slew of other various roles. There must be a distingushed line that defines to the child that the parent is the one who is responsible and in charge.
    Not until said child has moved out, and learned to function as an independent adult can and should the parent enter the role of friend. To do otherwise is to undermine the trust and credibility of your role as a parent.
    Just my two cents.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    My cuz used to make fun of tv show back in day. Hes like, damn them white folks can call their dads by their 1st name? Our dad would beat the shit out of us.'

4. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I'm with this guy.

Growing up with no rules has had cosequences beyond belief. I did what I wanted only because my mom was working alot and the few times she was around, it was more like friendly advice that I got when i got caught doing wrong. So naturally I kept doing wrong. I think if my father had been more involved, things would have been very different. My dad did not care so much for hurt feelings. It was way more important to follow the rules when we all lived together. That short period with my father had such a profound impact, that after 30 years of life, I never once raised my vioce to my mother, or cursed. Despite my bad behavior as a youth.

As a father of 2, I make it very clear that I mean business. They are both young, 3 and 5, so Issues are minimal. I do my best to comfort tears and sadness but above all else, my rules are final. Cosequences are real. I dont think its best to ever play the "friend role" when you are a parent. I am responsible for thier well being and accountable for all of thier actions until adulthood. It may hurt sometimes, but that is the most important thing, they have to follow my rules. Mom does most of the comforting and rational talking.

5. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Seeing as I don't, and probably won't, for a considerable amount of time, have kids, my view on this may be a little bit flawed. Regardless, I think that it's best to be a buddy with your kids at the point where they're in that impressionable phase. It's another part of being a role model. Whether it be a cool dad, teacher, uncle or whatever, if you consider yourself a decent person, there's usually someone you can thank for it.

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    It's a fine line really.

It's ok to be a friend...but you have to know when you need to be a parent.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It is as ill-advised and difficult for a parent to truly be friends with their child as it is for them to truly be friends with their boss. There will always be a necessary difference in power that prevents it.

Even once the child moves out and the parent has no formal power over their actions, the relationship built during their formative years may differentiate the relationship between the two from that of the other friends of the child. The age difference will also play into this.

8. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    All I know is that my parents are my best friends. I do have non-related friends but I hardly ever see them. I have Asperger's and social anxiety, so it's hard enough for me to simply go to the grocery store here and there. I'm also nocturnal so, on the rare occasions I'm outside, it's usually at night while my friends are (more-than-likely) in bed.