Discussion for the fans of single series.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KnightHawkke, Jul 14, 2011.

1. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Being someone who has been exposed to the Transformers franchise since was was brought to our shores in good ole '84, which thankfully has survived some less than stellar years and is now going stronger than ever :thumb  I am curious of something.

Having spent the last what 26ish years of my life soaking in all the franchise has to offer I don't understand how someone could limit themselves to such a small corner of such a rich well of media and toys, It's like standing in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory and saying "I only want to eat the grass!!"

I am not going to sit here and lie to anyone and say any given series or toyline is with out flaws, (mostly centering around problematic gimmicks.) It always seemed to me you can soak up the best of any given series and greatly enhance your transformers experience as a whole. Such things as individual awesome characters, Movie Sideswipe, BW Ratrrap, Animated Prowl, G1 Ironhide, Prime Arcee, Machine wars.. um >.>.. well I guess you can't win them all. Individual awesome story-arcs in the various series if you can find them.

I guess I am not here to so much change anyone's mind, perhaps more to find out the reasoning behind shutting out the majority of a franchise and not wanting to take advantage of the full spectrum of the awesome that is Transformers.

And lets keep it civil :thumb 

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I love almost everything in Transformers (although i've never seen any of the Takara Series that weren't dubbed sorry but i like dubs)

I like G1 for the Movie, Lauching Transformers into Pop Culture History and charecterizations and setting up the groundwork for later series. Although the G1 cartoon is pretty stupid by today standards mostly being that the Autobots always win and the Decepticons lose and retreat. The kept making that huge fuss over Energy/Energon/McGuffins/Plot convieant devices. It's still fun to watch as long as you don't take it as the best thing ever made on TV. I really digged Ultra Magnus, Rodimus, Cliffjumper, Prowl, Warpath, Wheeljack, Cyclonus, Shockwave, Soundwave and all his cassettes, Kup, Blurr and Astrotrain.

I like Beast Wars because it takes G1 and improves it even more. Brought terms like The Ark, The Nemesis, The Golden Disk, Having a great mix of slapstick comedy and dark themes. Had excellent charecterization that had the charecters gone from one place to another like Cheetor from Kid to teen to adult. Also excellent voice acting helps as well. BM was a fine series that was darkly written and improved some charecters from Beast Wars like Cheetor and Silverbolt (Became Jetstorm). . The only thing againist Beast Wars was the episode Transmutate....seriously she scares the crap out of me and did Rampage really need a woman in his life...he's a serial killer damnit. I really liked Rhinox, Cheetor, Rattrap, Dinobot, Blackarachinda, Tarantulas, Waspinator, Rampage, Depthcharge and Megatron. Oh yes BW/BM Megatron is the best Megatron ever, defentally trumps the original by a long shot yesssssss.

RID is Mix for me. One hand is it's stupid, weird goofy and i hate the Megatron in the show but on the other hand it's weird, goofy and had awesome charecters like Scourge and Skybyte but it was just filler at the end of the day. I haven't watched the entire show it sometimes bores me. Also Sideburn creeps me out.

Armada was the first series i ever watch...yeah sure the humans are annoying and pointless like Carlos and Fred but i loved the charecterzation that we got from charecters like Starscream, Wheeljack, Demolisher, Red Alert, Sideways ah hell Hot Shot had a decent charecter in this series espicially when he was leader for a few episodes as well as the Wheeljack backstory. I liked how the Decepticons sometimes won an episode and showed that the Decepticons aren't all evil. The Animation errors and dubbing errors and the toy articulations hindered the show by a long shot. Although it gave us Unicron a toy after many years.

Energon is so much wasted potiential. Insted of improving Armada and building on, it got worse as the writers didn't know what to do with the show, they had actual interesting charecters like Inferno (who was going from autobot to Decepticons and then died as a Autobot) and Demolisher (who wasn't sure of being Decepticon or Autobot and went back to the decepticons and died to save Megatron. Only to come back become useless charecters. Too many Uhhs and annoying charecters like Ironhide and Kicker ruined what could have been an alright show. Alpha Q is creepy as hell. I bet he inspired Animated Bliztwing except less creepy (although Cho voiced both charecters)

Cybertron is one of my personal favourites. I started collecting during this series and loved almost every minute in the show like Beast Wars. I loved how the charecters stood out a lot more in this series and planet hopped to different worlds with different astechics like Technogranic Animatrons or Giant constructicon Gigantions. The accents aren't that annoying they made the charecters stand out. The script was a lot more solid due to having more effort put into it (A lot of the RID script writers wrote for this show as well) Galvatron was a powerhouse badass, Liked Landmine, Override, Hot Shot, Scattorshot, Vector Prime, Starscream, Crosswise, Sideways, Soundwave, Snarl, the gruemsome twosome Ransack and Crumplezone and the least dickish Optimus Prime ever. Aside from the continuity errors it was a really fun show. I go with Galaxy Forces standalone continuity but with the English dub.

Animated was the most fanwanky show ever made seriously look at all the charecter and plot homages from other series but it brought in new ideas to the franchise like Optimus Prime being young and not in full command, Ratchet being old, Brand new charecters like Lockdown, Bulkhead, Lugnut, Slipstream and Sentinel Prime. Sentinel Prime is a fascinating charecter....he has a higher rank than Optimus Prime but he's a real incompetant jerk it made you like Optimus even more when he got the upper hand againist him. I also liked this Megatron being manipulative and cunning and the fact he and Optimus don't face each other much only rarely makes their confrontations even better. Infact Megatron does not know Optimus's name and it was great in the series finale that finally said his name. The Human villains detract from the show big time as their are pretty moronic but this was doen so that the Decepticons would be a even more bigger threat which it suceeded. I loved how they took David Kaye whose only voiced Megatron but made him Optimus Prime and it worked. The sad part about the show is they cancelled it after season 3 which sucks cause i'd love to see the story continue. Best charecters are Optimus Prime, Megatron, Shockwave, Ultra Magnus, Bulkhead, Lugnut, Swindle, Ratchet, Rodimus, Slipstream and Jazz.

Prime is basically out alternative to more seasons from Animated. It's not bad of a show but it has a lot to do before we can totally accept this show. The CGI looks stunning almost as good as Beast Wars and the voice acting is quite good and some of the charecterizations are intersting but it stills has a long way before it warms up to all fans like Beast Wars and Animated did. Some charetcers suffer from not as great charecterizations as earlier predessecors like Optimus Prime (Who is boring as hell....seriously they need to spice up his lines), Megatron (who hasn't done nothing yet or started a new scheme, Bumblebee (who doesn't speak and yet Raf understands him and we don't know why?) and Bulkhead (who isn't as cuddly as he was in Animated, I think this ones a jerk as he lets Jerks pay for their mistakes.) but i really do like the rest of the Cast such as Knockout, Airachnid, Soundwave, Breakdown, Ratchet, Wheeljack and my favourite charecter Arcee. Arcee is tough, independant, fiesty, sarcastic and a little dark. I'm glad we have a tough cookie female Autobot insted of a damsel in distress. The humans are okay Jack's responsible but pretty dull and somewhat emo, Miko is fun but can get annoying a bit and Raf who other than tech stuff contributes nothing in charecter. However Fowler is the best human as he's not afraid to tell Prime what he thinks or do. Also Having a human terorist team that isn't Cobra is cool. MECH is a fascinating bad guy group and Clancy Brown is excellent as Silas. Again once it finds its groove...we can finally maximum overdrive into this bad boy show.

I wish everyone would try to enjoy all shows for what they are.

3. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

I don't quite understand it, either. The way I see it: I missed a lot growing up. Great. I can watch it now, and probably better appreciate it than I would have when I was a kid. When I really get going on something, I like to see what it has to offer in full- and for me, that means G1, Animated, Prime, the movies--and some others I haven' even touched yet.

I think when some people like something, they don't want it to change, so they don't explore. After all, G1 Bumblebee is different from Animated Bumblebee, who is also different from Prime/Movie Bumblebee. The characters are essentially the same, but one little thing like taking away Bee's voice can change a character almost completely (in my eyes, the Mute!Bee deal actually made him seem a lot less childish than Animated makes him out to be, but some people view that 'handicap' as something that should be coddled, and probably feel the opposite). I didn't like the fact that Bee could talk. I didn't like his voice, or his mannerisms or personality. Because I was so used to Bay!Bee. But now that I've branched out, given it a try, and gotten used to it; I don't much mind it anymore.

I guess some people just aren't used to change, they don't like it. And that's totally their choice. It's just kind of a sad one, in my eyes.

ETA: the reason I'm commenting is because I'm a reformed "single series" fan.

4. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

The Animatros Transformers were techno-organic? I thought they were just regular TFs with animal alt-modes.

And I liked Soundwave as well. Who DOESN'T like a rapping Transformer? :D 

You forgot the fact that Megatron doesn't take Starscream's crap and just shoots the slimy Seeker practically every chance he gets. :D 

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Emphasis is mine. For once I wish people would stop lording Beast Wars as being the be-all and end-all of CGI. Yes okay it was great for the time but it looks pretty damn dated now.

Rant over!

I completely agree with the OP on this one. People who stick religiously to just one series or toyline are missing out.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I thought they Animatrons were techno-organic.

7. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I watched the movies and a few episodes of TF Prime, but I mostly stick to G1 season 1. The 1st season of G1 is the essence of Transformers to me... Decepticons raid power plants for energy, the Autobots must find them and stop them. Megatron is pissed that the Autobots are out to stop his energon flow, so he creates a few "ultimate weapons" along the way. SIMPLE. Season 2 is where Transformers starts to get stupid. There is even a noticeable drop in the quality of writing.

With the exception of the coneheads and Tracks, my classics collection is also "G1 season 1". G1 season 1 is the only real Transformers to me, everything else is almost unwatchable.

8. KnightHawkke

Indeed, so lets relate on something we both know about and like here, Sideswipe, one of my favorite characters both then and now. While the movie version may not share the same altmode they do share a lot of the same feeling and mannerisms to the character, and hell get ya Sidearm Sideswipe and DOTM Sideswipe for his Mechtech gun, give it to SA SS, and it makes a heck of a display piece! And he even has the red highlights to homage back even closer to G1. Heck that Mechtech gun would probably look good on any Sideswipe! Granted I am a hopeless weapon-o-holic and I can't get enough of the newer more detailed weapons, and loading up my classics with them :lol 

Anyway, just a little fun you can have and not stray too far from your mark there. :thumb 

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think quite a few people only want to see their favorite series (usually G1, but not always) as "THE" version of TRANSFORMERS, and anything else feels a bit generic to them. Also, TRANSFORMERS is one of many franchises that has a multiverse. However, there are a great many stores and such that only operate with a single story, and a single set of characters.

Also, one of the most endearing things with TRANSFORMERS is that there are quite a few characters that are endearing to fans - to the point that any other "interpretation" feels like a disgrace to that said character. Admittedly, often times, there are certain, particular elements of a given character that really make up the essence of that character, and any deviation from that loses something.

Just off the cuff, those are a couple of my thoughts.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really only have interest in G1 (comics and toys, not cartoon) because to me it "is" Transformers. I like the Movieverse too.

Can I explain it? Not really. I certainly am quite happy with the rest of the franchise, and don't "hate" or any other silly extreme reaction a particular part, I just have more than enough to keep me busy with the bits I enjoy the most.

11. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I love the overall concept of Transformers. It's good vs. evil, it's cars, planes, mechanical things, robots, etc. It has so much potential and that's what I love about it.

To me, two series stand head and shoulders above the rest: G1 and Beast Wars. Now I'm not going to say G1 doesn't have it's flaws. I'm not a die hard G1 worshipper, but I do think that what G1 has going for it that no other series since has had is the purity of the concept. G1, to me as a kid, was good robots vs. evil robots, cars vs. planes. There was only one gimmick in the toy line and that was a car/plane/whatever changed into a robot.

As for Beast Wars, what makes it stand out is the animated series. The toys are pretty nice, and there's that purity I mentioned, but the show was so well written. It may not have had a huge cast of characters but the dozen or so it featured were all well-rounded, fully developed characters with a great voice cast. You don't get that very often and certainly not in the series that came after. Transformers, no matter what show it is, is going to be a toy commercial - but that doesn't mean you can't have a good story and actual character development.

That is what I look for in Transformers - quality of product, story, character. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

12. KnightHawkke

That is very true, taking the whole franchise on at once is undoubtedly quite a daunting task, especially for someone new to the game. good insight there :thumb 

13. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Especially for those who think that everything between G1, the movies and Prime is related.

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    And it's shit like this that makes me lose interest in this hobby.

Seriously- I am about an inch away from selling off most of my stuff and pursuing other interests.

There is so much joy that gets sucked out because of stupidity from Hasbro, bullcrap from the fans...

As to answer the OP- just because I walk into a Baskin Robbins doesn't mean I have to walk out with a cone with 31 scoops.

So get over it!

15. KnightHawkke

well, at least it went a page and a half.. :(  If you are that fed up, take a break, you don't have to take your ball and go home. I would have hoped people noticed I or no one else (so far) were attacking people for responses, I have actually learned and gained an understanding of what I asked about, no one has rolled up in here calling people idiots or blah blah whatever else folks like to say.

I am sorry you feel the way you do, and really hope you don't do anything rash over an actual civil discussion on the internet.

16. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm sorry I blew up at you... some of the non-sense (which I am sure others will accuse me of- oh, that great circle of life) just wears a person down.

I really do appreciate your remorse, and I really wish others were more like you. Thank you for your civility.

And sorry for reading too much into your post and lashing out with uncivility.

Personally, I grew up with G1, and those are the guys that are embedded in me. While I don't mind re-inventions, the notion that these are all the same character spread thru the whole multiverse is quite proposterous.

I like the movieverse, for the most part, but I have made a conscious decision to stick with Classics stuff- for space, monitary and nostalgic reasons. I stick with IDW's ongoing for the same reasons... altho this CHAOS stuff better be as good as they are hyping.

But like I said, I am an inch away from selling much of my stuff- but only in part of the fandom; things about this hobby have been bugging me more than an reward I get for possessing the plastic crack. And, there's always that credit card I need to pay off.

So, I'm re-examining my stake in this hobby.

17. KnightHawkke

No worries, I had to downsize my collection recently, and I kick myself in the arce for selling some of the ones I did, just choose wisely if you do.

If worst comes to worst, just take a few minutes to taste the bacon:thumb 

18. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    A thought came to me:

Perhaps there are those who take TRANSFORMERS as a whiole, and not on an individual, case-by-case (show-by-show) basis.

To each their own, but I fail to see the advantage to that.

Nowm it's not like I haven't sampled other stuff; BM yielded a couple ecent figures with a show where fans were polaized against each other.

RID was almost the second coming of G1 with a well animated (yet very kiddy) show and some great, great figures.

ARMADA, IMO, took a big step backward with a clunky looking show, mini-cons that were annoying and ack-luster toys. I had Bendy PRIME and Hot Shot... and it didn't take long for them to go to a yard sale or EBAY.

ENERGON and CYBERTRON had some CGI but failed to ring my bell... and the some of the toys had some creative potential but I lacked the income to indulge- except for anything that was so spectacular it couldn't be passed up (which, of course, there wasn't). No, veicles with the heads sticking out th top didn't do it for me. I got a white, Lazerbeak type bird once, and Strongarm... but that's about it.

The shows did nothing for me. I'd turn them on, watch for a few minutes, then turn off.

Animated? No.

PRIME... finally a show that you can watch with some decent toy tech... altho BB is the only one I plan on getting.

G1, at the time was good sci-fi for kids, and it is unfortunat that it can only be recognized as a kids cartoon, and that's all the other shows seemed to want to be (at least from what I've seen). BW continued that sci-fi / fantasy, where BM was drama. PRIMEseems to be returning to that sci-fi for kids thingagain, ad I think that's why it is popular.

Let me ask this: there are people who are G1 only, who are movies only... basically single series people, and I want to know why others are offended by this?

19. KnightHawkke

I don't disagree with most of what you said there, I also have to say that like a majority of folks my attention collecting wise, obviously follows what toys are avlb. at the time, I have picked up a decent smattering of DOTM toys, none that I have totally regretted, I am highly peeved at some flaws in Raodbuster's deluxe toy, but that's a story for another time. My watching habits however have dwindled over the years, I watch 86', TF1 and ROTF a couple times a year, G1 once though every few years and I haven't touched a comic in decades... Oh and the new episodes of Prime.

My personal answer to your last question is quite a simple one for me, I am not at all offended by it, I personally was asking this out of curiosity, now what I am offended by is people who are so single-minded about what series they like they have to attack other people over it, especially to the point where even objective criticism of any given movie or series is like a personal attack on their families, that is highly counter-productive to everyone as a whole.

When someone is unable to even see the other side of the coin exists, then they have a problem.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  20. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    IMO (and, to paint with an admittedly broad brush) you are mentioning the Movie forums.

Actually, certain elements in the movie forums. You used to be able to find i in the Animated relm.

However, I still can't fault anyone who likes a certain something, and wishes everything else was more like it. What exactly is wrong with that? They may- or may never again- get what they want.

And I count myself lucky that G1 has beeh onoing in some way or another- IDW, Classics and WFC and Exodus (I know Hasbro's BS with this- and if WFC and Exodus = PRIME, then PRIME is an alternate direction to G1).

But the demonization of others has gotta go.