Discussion for TF statues/busts?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Magnus' Mate, May 28, 2008.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi all. First time poster, though have lurked for a while, and been a member of other TF forums on the net for a long time.

Have always been a fan, and a serious collector for about eight years, but only recently taken notice of some of the statues/busts and other high-end collectables available out there. The new Art Asylum/Diamond Select busts look FANTASTIC!!

I'm looking into getting into the scene and start collecting them. Is there a particular place on the forum here to discuss, get some reviews, talk to other collectors of these? If not, please feel free to contribute to this thread if you collect 'em! Are they any good? Which are best? Worth collecting? etc etc.

Cheers!

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Welcome to the forums. This is a good a place as any to talk statues/busts. I personally haven't bought any of the Diamond stuff. Some of their stuff, especially the newer pieces, are really nice. I only have a few statues myself. I have the First4Figures Super Deformed Ultra Magnus and I have the Hard Heroes Insecticons statues.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have a couple of the Hard Hero busts and their Prime statue. I really liked the stuff Palisades was pumping out and it's a shame that they went under since they had a lot off cool stuff still in the pipeline.

I've only picked up the exclusive Prime and Megatron busts from Diamond and really like their take on them so far. The materials they're using and the paint apps are top-notch and I can't wait to get the other ones I've got preordered so far. I think the only downside on the Diamond ones are the release delays a lot of them are seeing.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prepare for a possible TLDR. :lol 

I've picked up everything by Hard Hero, Palisades, F4F, and Diamond. From the first time I saw these characters in this medium (a relatively high-end collectible statue), I've been hooked. Each have their pros and cons, and there are certainly some real gems in there. The format creates a lot of possibilities, and good sculpts can make a character "emote" in a way we typically can only see on the screen.

The Hard Hero Optimus Prime bust and Unicron statue were what drew me in to start picking these up. Favorites from HH for me include the Unicron, Rhinox, and Insecticon statues, and the Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod, and Shockwave busts. Very disappointed no further Beast Wars statues beyond Rhinox were made, but based on how heavily he has been discounted in the years following his release, he must not have sold terribly well. HH's take on these guys is ideal if you like the characters the way you remember them on TV; bright colors, simple, straightforward designs.

Palisades did a great job of taking an entirely different route than HH. Going for the gritty look rather than the cartoon asthetic was wise in order to distinguish them from what had come before. In another good move, they switched from 12" statues (which they were planning for the entire line) to 6" after Prime and Megatron. Favorites from the Palisades line for me include Soundwave, Devastator, Wheeljack, Shockwave, and War Within Prime (designed by TFW's own Primus).

I'm a little disappointed in what has happened with F4F. Aside from the Prime and Megatron Battlefield statue, the Prime/Stormshadow thing, and the Ultra Magnus SD statue & redeco, there's been no output. It would appear F4F has abandoned further plans for their Transformers license, based on the fact that everything they had planned for the Beast Wars busts, further Battlefield statues, and further Joe/TF crossovers is now 18-24 months behind, and there is little further mention of TFs on their website, other than a banner. Items featured for preorder on retailer websites had included busts or statues of Cheetor, Depthcharge, Dinobot, Megatron, Optimal Optimus, Optimus Primal, Rattrap, Ravage, Rhinox, Scorponok, Terrorsaur, Waspinator, Bludgeon, Cyclonus, Galvatron, Hot Rod & Cassettes, Jetfire, Optimus Prime & Snake Eyes, Ravage & Baronness, Scourge, Soundwave & Jazz, and Swoop.

I think F4F's biggest mistake was kicking off the line with the 12" Prime and Megatron Battlefield combo. Anybody in the tiny percentage of fans who actually wanted to purchase an expensive 12" statue of Prime and Megatron had already had TWO previous opportunities to do so from either HH or Palisades. Seems like there may have been no market left; I've often wondered if that pretty much killed future plans for their TF license. Too bad, as the Beast Wars stuff looked magnificent.

Diamond has certainly picked up the ball and run. I was a little leery at first, as I wasn't blown away by the Unicron/Rodimus statue, nor the Soundwave w/cassettes spacebridge set, nor the Megatron & Prime "wall statues". Since then, however, they've continued to impress... Starscream coronation, War Within Grimlock, battle damage Prime, Omega Supreme, the seekers and the various Fairlady molds look great. They're getting a lot of product out and (although I believe they're had some minor delays recently) have quite a bit planned for the rest of the year... so far so good. The "head replicas" make fun little paperweights, too.

Although statues/busts will always get the obligatory "I don't want Transformers that don't transform" from some, they are a unique product in themselves, and continue to demonstrate that these designs and characters are memorable and marketable.

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I loved the look and design of all the HH stuff - although I've only got one (Wheeljack bust) I really want to pick up the Rhinox statue. I would have loved to have seen these guys make more items.

Palisades sucked. Seriously. I couldn't stand the style and I honestly felt they looked awful. No offense to the people that designed them (Hi Primus!) but I just hated the style.

F4F was full of promises but no delivery.

Diamond stuff looks O.K. - I'm very tempted to get the Megatron reformat bust as it looks great.

6. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I love my Bumblebee/Cliffjumper statues from Diamond and Palisades. My Hard Hero Busts (Devestator, Wheeljack, Ironhide, and the Bumblebee Statue) are awesome too, very beefy.

I like this kind of stuff when it's more affordable. I don't usually buy them when they are brand new. I like Transformer toys that transform, but the busts/statues really add to a display!

7. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Only issue with Diamond's busts are the clear rods, I purchased two and both were cracked wish they were more of the hardhero type for the base. HH Insecticons rock so hard they are a must have aswell as the palisades grimlock and WW Prime.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only have the Soundwave and Shockwave busts from Hard Hero. They are really awesome, I love the bright colours, they look like the walked right off of the TV screen. Some of the HH busts can be had for really cheap now, but shipping can be a killer.

I also have the Palisades 12 inch OP statue. I paid through the nose for it when it first came out, I kind of regret it now though.

9. Codimus Prime

Amen, my Bumblebee was cracked. But it was replaced by the seller. I know that if you get this kind of stuff from a dealer with great customer service you'll never go wrong!

10. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    First off, welcome to the forum!

I'm not a TF bust/statue "collector" per se, but there have been a few I bought at conventions when I finally found them for "my price".

I have a few of the Hard Hero busts: Shockwave, Prime, Soundwave, and Grimlock. And I'll probably eventually get the Diamond Select statues of Omega Supreme, Grimlock, Unicron, and Soundwave, as well as HH's full figure statues of Prime, Megatron, and the metallic-paint release for Shockwave.

My complaint about HH's sculpts is that they were just too static-looking and needed a little more detail. And even though they were emulating the simplistic G1 toon designs, some of them actually turned out looking a little plain and bland.

As for discussion forums, Hard Hero's forum is still active, even though they are no longer producing TF statues or busts:

http://www.popculturenexus.com/community/

I don't know of any other specific TF bust/statue forums off-hand, but I really haven't taken the time to google them either.

For reviews, tformers.com might be a good starting point, if you poke around through their news listings:
    http://tformers.com/categories.php?op=newindex&catid=23

This is a good, comprehensive listing too:
    http://www.statueforum.com/statuearchive/statues.php?category=4

And I know there was a fan here who posted a comprehensive list of all the busts and statues released to date, including pics, but I spent 15 minutes looking through search results and just cannot locate it.

And there are some bust/statue reviews here too:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1449764&postcount=9

And here's a few other discussion threads you might want to browse:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=158663
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=143277
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=114643

I can help you out there--have one mint in box that has never even been opened unless the vendor I got it from opened it. I don't have a clue what to sell it for, so PM me with an offer if you're interested.

11. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    How many of the Diamond busts have the clear rods? I've only got the Matrix Prime and Reformat Megatron and was thinking they may have just used them on those two.

12. Codimus Prime

As far as I know it's all of them. It's the style. Kinda reminds me of a hologram with a base....

13. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    Interesting. I thought the BBTS ones like Jazz and Elita one were secured directly to the base, but looking a the photos again they're taken at an angle. It's a neat concept, but I'll be sure to unpack these guys with care when I get them. Thanks for the heads-up. ^_^

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the welcome guys, and the great comments. I think I'm going to start with the more recent Diamond stuff, as this looks really appealing to me. I've got a line on a good price (for the UK anyway!) for the Optimus, Soundwave and Cliffjumper busts, and we'll go from there. (Really want the BBTS exclusive seeker jet busts!)

I'd love a comprehensive list of all Diamond/Art Asylum's output to date. People have been mentioning some that I didn't even come up with from researching the net!

Coincidentally, the move to busts/statues is also something I'm considering with my Star Wars collecting - gradually edging away from the Hasbro figures to more of Gentle Giants stuff. We'll see - as a father to one already (and another imminent!) these grand collecting plans may be spread over several years.

Still, great to chat about it!! :) 

15. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I have the HH busts and I like that design more then Diamond S. the downside is there is only 14 HH busts but they are all amazing. I might get a few of the newer stuff but I focus on vintage stuff. of course the HH statues I will track down one day eventually-

16. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Here ya go, straight from the official site:
    http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/store.asp?p=category.asp?CategoryID=279

I'm about to drop $60 on that Shockwave statue that's being released end of June. I'm a sucker for anything Shockwave-related.

I also found another thread here that lists all the Palisades releases:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=126549

That same thread includes links to a review of the Palisades Seeker statues.

And not included in that list are Palisades' two new Beast Wars statues coming out in June: Dinobot and Optimus Primal.

And that earlier thread I linked from statueforum is probably one of the most comprehensive listings of all the busts/statues released to date, even though all the entries are dated Dec 2005.

17. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Palisades is unfortunately no longer in business; these two were a couple of the planned F4F releases (see my long post earlier in the thread). Both of them are now about two years late (the page you linked shows them due in June '06). I doubt we'll be seeing them, but hope springs eternal.