Discussion: Animated is MY G1.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by BrokenSVT, Apr 26, 2008.

1. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

I've put a lot of thought into this as of late. I was born late in 1979, and so was of a ripe age to indulge in a full-in G1 love affair. My family owned a toy store, so the stage was set so to speak. There was a twist though.

My parents, like a fellow board member wrote days ago, "made" me make a decision. Would I focus on Transformers, or would I buy into G.I. Joe? I chose G.I. Joe. The depth of my G1 collection made it as far as Devastator, Astrotrain, Springer, Warpath, some Micromasters, TM Landfill and Mirage; if I recall correctly.

I lusted after Optimus Prime. I begged for Megatron. The Dinobots were a favorite, and yet I'd never own any of them. There were many more, and I saw them all in my family's toy store. When it came down to it though, I always sided with Hasbro's other money-maker.

Which brings us to more recent times. I purchased a few Beast Machines toys, as the cartoon was a favorite of mine(no flaming, please). I picked up the occasional odd toy here and there. Then came Cybertron.

I was shopping my local Wal*Mart on the tail-end of Cybertron. I picked up Quickmix for $3 and Megatron for $5. I fell in love with these toys. A couple years later now I own nearly all of the Voyager, Ultra and Leader toys, as well as both Supremes.

The movie came along and my spark(pun intended) was re-lit. I purchased all of the toys as they came out. The only exceptions are some of the repaints and a few of the non-movie characters that don't interest me.

Now, to my point. Here we all are, in the midst of a TF revolution, if you will. All of my(our) favorite characters are back, and rejuvinated. Pessimistic critics be damned, they're all great characters AND toys. I'll buy them all.

I finally get my chance to own every Optimus Prime toy that is made in a series. I'll get my Dinobots finally. Ultra Magnus-mine. Megatron-all of them are mine. I'll have the entire supporting cast. I'm up every Saturday morning, finding myself scrambling to get chores and the like out of the way before 10:30 AM so I can watch a cartoon with my little boys.

Here's to MY G1!

2. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

G1 is MY G1 :rock 

(I just felt like sayin somethin stupid :tongue: )

3. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I hade luck as a single child, got alot of Tfs as a kid so for me nothing is ever going to top that. But I know younger fans that stillg et toys from mum and dad must perhapps get the same feeling today we got 24 years ago.

4. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

Beast Wars was my G1.
    I never owned Primal, Damn I wished I did, but I got a hand on Dragon Megs and Transmetal Rattrap and Beast machines Cheetor.

5. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    All my Beast Wars figure all Gone and I look for Optimal Optimus.

6. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

G1 is definitely my G1 too.

7. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Everyone has their series that epitomizes their love for TFs. My only problem is when you get the high and mighty who think their opinion equals fact putting stuff like "Animated is THE new G1" instead of it being THEIR G1. That rubs me more raw than anything else about it. Thank you, sir, for being able to state your opinion as an opinion, and I wish you luck with getting the entire series.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    G1 is my G1, but Alt's, classics and animated makes me feel like it's 84 again. (though I have a lot more money this time around, and the toys look much cooler)

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Hells yeah! A fan of everything is the best kind of fan.

I guess I would say Beast Wars was my G1, as it introduced me to Transformers. I owned almost everybody except for my favourites (sans Primal and Megs) and I too loved Beast Machines. A while ago I was big into G1 after admittedly hating it for so long. (I never understood the appeal and the xenophobic nature towards Beast Wars it's more loyal fans bore, but I now understand that back then it must've been awesome) I still beleive that Beast Wars is the best series and my personal favourite. There's just no shaking it's grand story arcs, complicated and conflicted characters and smooth plotline with an awesome toyline to boot. G1 just always struck me as a line with more faults than good things. I still think that the G1 seasons after the movie were rubbish, and the latter of season 2 was not much better. But I try and see the good of things while not forgetting the bad.

Ironically, (I'll get to the ironic part in just a moment, no flames please) there were two major times I had a falling-out with Transformers: RID let me down despite having awesome toys and Sky-byte, but Armada Brought me back with it's strong second season show and awesome toys. The other was right before Cybertron, where I was ready to up and abandon the line when G1 (I know) caught my eye and I investigated.

Animated is practically G1 done in modern times, which is why I like it so much. Everyone's redone with a fresh new look, style and character, while still paying homage to their past characters of the same names and looks with design homages and voices/personalities.

10. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

G1 will always be G1 for me. And I like what I seen of Animated (reminds me of 24 years ago).

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    animated is my armada!

12. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

KA is my G1

13. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I know how you feel. Animated is not my G1, but it makes me feel like I'm five again. Except this time, I can walk in the toy store and DAMMIT I DON'T WANT TO PICK ONE! THEY SHALL ALL BE MINE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!:ev: 

14. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I'm probably in the minority here in saying that G2 is my G1.

15. Johnator

:lol 

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i just remembered something. My parents only actually bought me 2 TF's as a kid: Omega Supreme and Thundercracker. The rest i got were from my lunch money i stashed or by trades.
    (they bought me more GI Joes than TF's.)

g1 is g1 and g1 will be just that for me.
    ain't this kinda like the young elvis vs. the fat elvis stamp debate? it is all in where you came into the hobby and how it affected you.

me, i have such a sentimental bond to g1 that it is what i want to focus on; the Alts and the Animated and the odd TF are things i will get when i hit a wall or a buying drought.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    QFT.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was born in '79 as well :)  G1 (and most of G2) is my G1, but CR/RiD and Masterpiece were the line where I feel like a kid again. It didn't hurt that the molds for the Combaticons were used in the CR/RiD. As for Masterpiece, this is the line that just makes me relive my fond memories of G1 all over again (and again, . . . )

In regards to just experiencing the memories themselves but not as much emphasis on the feelings, that's where Classics are for me. I make the difference with this segment versus the first because I don't have that "taken back kid" feeling with this line, while I think it's really cool to have these old favorites "updated". :) 

As for Alts/BTs, these lines are where I am now. While it's really cool that we have some "classic" characters in the line, it's not a necessity for me. Also, in terms of everything I love in TFs, the Alt/BT lines as well as the Masterpiece epitomize everything I love in TFs. This hasn't changed for me ever since the first two toys of these lines (Smokescreen and Convoy/Optimus Prime) came out, and I've been here ever since, growing exponentially. :) 

19. Johnator

:thumb 

20. OmegaDead

OmegaDead Well-Known Member

I was born in '79 also, so G1 will always be the best for me personally.

I have an 8 year old now though and we always watch animated together and we both love it, so I get to relive my childhood discoverey of Tformers through him. So in a way (for me anyway) Animated is the rebirth of G1.