Discussion about the Gov't's "Diplomacy" (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shadow25, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's a point I wanted to bring up-
    Because of Bay's high profile use of military stuff and his direct line to the Pentagon, all the Pentagon asked in return was to correctly portray the government in TF1. ONe such edit was that a security guard knocked on the glass which Maggie was leaning against, because the government said that snooping into the main offices would not be possible, she would have been caught.

Now, in ROTF, the government wants to open up negotiations with the Decepticons rather than fight them with the Bots. Obviously, this is rather stupid. Now, why would the Defense Dept. allow themselves to be portrayed as a gov't willing to talk to an extremely powerful army whose past have proved no good can come from them, rather than trust the Autobots? I like the idea in the story, but I'm confused as to why they would be portrayed this way.

2. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Arguably it's for many of the same reasons as Stalin's diplomacy with Hitler, namely to gain time to arm up and find a way to fight back against a technologically superior enemy. I know that there are tonnes of other reasons for Stalin's actions, but there is an aspect that is applicable - they're probably trying to gain time to fight back (remember, they can fight back, but they need time to prepare).

3. moondon

moondon Active Member

WAit Whatt?? Ive been away from the boards and the site, Whats the deal with the Gov't siding with the Cons, What did I miss?

4. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Actually, that's just Galloway who wants to negoiate.

5. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, I thought he was just an agent sent by the President relaying the message. I know Galloway's an ass, but I thought he was being given orders from the President. Either that, or did the Prez give him free reign to do what he wants with NEST?

6. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Desperation.
    He's/They're ('they' being multiple possibilities) pussies.
    Stall for time.
    He/They don't trust the Autobots either and/or try and throw in your lot with the ones with the hot hand (Decepticons).

Trying/wanting to negotiate with those who can kick your ass does not necessarily mean logic is involved by any means. It's mainly about surviving. Live on rather than go down fighting with the Autobots, especially if you don't know/don't think they can win.

7. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Actually, the general default would be to attempt to negotiate, wouldn't it? I mean, you do it to stall for time but wouldn't a peaceful resolution be ideal?

Also military =/= government.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    trying to negotiate with a decpeticon = talking to a brick wall while its falling on you, you just gonna get owned while flapping your jaws

9. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

The president may have told galloway ( Hey, I need you to go to the NEST/Autobots and see if we can somehow find a truce with these decepticons) and he kinda went into "Agent Simmons" mode, saying he has a " I can do whatever I want" presidential order.

10. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From the books it sounds like they (Galloway etc) think the Decepticons are only on earth (and coming to earth) because the Autobots are here, therefore they think it's the Autobots' fault. They have no idea the 'Cons are here to hunt Sam instead.

The government would probably want to say to the Decepticons "Look, you're here for the Autobots right? Well we don't want your war going on here, if we order the Autobots off planet will you please leave too?".