Discuss: Why do you do the things you do for your comic?

Discussion in 'Transformers Funnies' started by Robticon, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

As the title suggests, this is a discussion thread about why each of us
    Funnies creators do what we do for our comic. Such as spend time, energy,
    and money making our comics, and making them better.

I make my comic Because I want to make people happy by making them
    laugh a bit. I put my Time into making it better so they can enjoy it more.
    I put my energy into it because if I didn't give 100%, then that's as good as
    giving nothing. And my money... well, I enjoy the new toys too. :lol 

So, what about you guys and gals of the funnies forum?

2. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Let's see, I make my comics for the entertainment of others...and myself I suppose! Also, to let a sequence of stuff be portrayed to something of my vision. Now I go and put a lot of money into this comic if I do say so...adding new characters cost a lot of money! Well...ok, purchasing the toys for my collection that get tossed into the comic eventually doesn't really count as spending money for my comic...but purhaps making some customs do...like Lockheed, Shadowstinger, and the unnammed Firebird... this ones actually cost a lot to make...you look at say $40 for the bot, and another $30 for 2 model kits, one to pose as alt mode, the other for the parts to add on! So, to make those for the comic I suppose is more money than it may be worth!

And back on topic...yeah, my purpose in the comic is for entertainment!

3. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Same response as Spoilers. Plus, I find it as a way to vent out my imagination, and to have many laughs. : D

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Getting replies is always nice and VERY much appreciated but the bottom line is I do it because I enjoy it and it gives me an opportunity to write, which is what I really like most about it :) 

5. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Also helps to show you are doing your job!

6. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I started collecting Movie toys when I was in a dark spot in my life, they kept me occupied, it was nice. I loved the idea of the new designs and I loved the movies, they seemed more than just robots than various other forms of Transformers (note that I have very little exposure, save for some G1, Beast Wars, and a quick clip or two of the Universe/Armada blahblah). Though I'm out of that dark spot, I love the toys, but didn't know what to do with them except create clutter (I'm not known at all for neatness).

I joined TFW to be able to see some pics and talk about RotF, then saw the "funnies" section, and skimmed through some comics. I thought, "I like this concept, but wow, a lot of these are really bad". I know I'm judgmental, but it's kept me going to where I am today with everything. I figured I could add my touch to this concept, I loved the Constructicons, and I knew I was gonna get every Deluxe-Voyager-Leader that is released. So, knowing what I have, what I could have, I took a crack at it and created the Dirty Boys.

I was inspired to start it with the concept of Ed, Edd & Eddy, three friends with schemes trying to get things. Schemes and scams didn't come into the picture, though wacky events did come into play, with a bit of a It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia-influence. I love Folk Metal, beer, nature stuff, and wanted to get down and gritty/dirty with these guys. They're construction vehicles, not just more transforming robots toys to be stuck on a carpet talking with Buzz Lightyear; go outside, face the elements, go "organic"ish. The Constructicons were known for building amazing structures and weaponries, on top of that, being a ferocious fighting squad. Though, just who are the bots behind the tools? Surely these hard-working 'cons have lives, and characters of their own. I hope I've brought that out, and I hope people enjoy the Dirty Boys.

7. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I have honestly no idea. I'm spending about a hundred dollars on a MP Megatron because I need him for a role.

By this point, it's pretty much a combo of my obsessive compulsive disorder and the fact that I have a huge amount of time on my hands keeping me going. I'm just lucky I've got great writing skills to back it up. It is pretty fun though. :D 

Hey, you've read mine! :lol 

8. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I was inspired by the serious comics here, Pol's, Coolhand, Pun, TCracker... all of those guys who kept a serious storyline going that is honestly more interesting than the canonical stuff. I also enjoyed the imagery they were creating. Poses and a few well placed effect really bring it from a living room floor to another world.

I wanted to try it out. But I also wanted to entirely bring the TF's out of my house and into their own world(s). It's painful to add backgrounds to every frame, on top of effects and dialogue, but it's worth it to me (even if it means I'm slower updating). People seem to appreciate it as well.

I also began by sticking to the established G1 world, but now that I've had a chance to swim in that pond, I am going to break rules and expand the story where I think it should go.

Why do I do it? Because I want to! :D  Replies are nice to let you know someone is actually reading it, but feedback is great. It's how I learned to make my text more readable, my effects increased, and my backgrounds better placed.

9. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

Wowies! Such, er, varied reasons! :lol 
    Well. Though I have to admit, I have been
    influenced to buy over half the TFs I own
    because of my comic. <.<" (Forgot to mention that)
    We really do need more of these discussion threads,
    don't we?

10. Magmatron22

Magmatron22 HADOUKEN!!!

Well I spend time on my comics because I know if I don't then people will stop reading it and it will become another dead thread. I put in effort because I know if I don't It will become boring and I like to keep people laughing (or in suspense) I think it's good to make people laugh at a time when the economy's in the pot, It cheers you up! I put money into my comic because lets face it All I'm really doing is buying toys, but at the same time I create a new character! another big reason that I make comics in general is because you make alot of friends in the funnies world :thumbs2:  now if you would excuse me, I need to go watch monk.

11. Magmatron22

Magmatron22 HADOUKEN!!!

agreed

12. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Haha.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I use my comic as a medium to pactice writing story ideas that I have most of the time. Sure, the fact I can have it be a source of enjoyment for other people is great, too, but using my toys and photos is a much better and more fun way for me to get my stories into a more visual aspect, as simply using Microsoft Word to type stories gets kinda boring after a while for me.

I've also found that some of my more recent story ideas involve taking up where other media left off. Example being my just-finished story arc: Ghosts of the Past. That storyline was created from one small skirmish from the G1 cartoon, namely the episode The Rebirth: Pt.1 where Sixshot takes down all the Aerialbots in less than a minute. Ever since I first saw that segment, I wondered what would happen if the Aerialbots came back somehow to get revenge on Sixshot in the present day. Thanks to the Universe/ROTF repaint of Energon Superion Maximus, I was able to redo that fight without the constraints of Hasbro's advertising restrictions (the whole point of that 1987 episode's fight was to show off Sixshot, who never appeared in the main G1 Cartoon again after that fight, and to explain why the Aerialbots suddenly stopped being at the local toy stores, because they were dead). Now my next big story arc; Robot of Miracles, picks up where all the "Kokoro" videos on Youtube leave off while simultaneously furthering my own underlaying plots with my established characters.

Finally, it also allows me to get more enjoyment out of my figures, as while my Deluxe Movie Wheelie is just an okay toy, I find he's one of my favorite secondary characters now because I've applied most of the character's personality from ROTF to the toy along with making him worship the Master Chief from Halo as if John-117 was the physical form of GOD.

14. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

... Giving Obscure Characters a Chance to be more than hi and die.

And going through the possibilities of less seen sides of pre-established characters.

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Let me try and answer this, seeing that I'm practically new to the whole comic business...

I guess the reason why I took time out of my super-busy schedule to make a comic... well, there's two... first of all, I've always wanted to make a comic, even more so after I've read so many of the great comics posted here. Secondly, I really wanted to express myself through my ability to create stories, be it in comic form (which is a first for me) or in novel form (which I have honed my skills in since my high school years).

Why devote so much energy in making this comic? Well, if there's an answer to this question, it's this... when I have a project on my hands, one as creative as the comic that I'm only just beginning to work on, I put my whole heart into it and doggedly see it through, no matter what. Another thing is this... I want to give something to people that they can enjoy, be it a comic or a novel. When I do something creative, I always put in mind what I hope people will get out of my work, how people respond to my work. What doesn't please my audience doesn't please me.

Why spend so much money on Transformers? Heck, even before starting a comic, I'm always spending more money than I should be spending on Transformers. The only two Transformers that I had to have for my comic were ROTF Fallen and Alternators Swindle. Any others that I get in the near future will more or less find their way into the scheme of things in my comic. Of course, there's certain figures I hope to procure for my comic, but they're not completely necessary at this time.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, I guess. Like I said, I'm still new to the comic business, so why I do the things I do for my comic is still yet to be fully seen. But for the most part, it's mostly to find ways to express myself creatively. Not many people have taken the time to see it, but I can be a very creative person. It's just a matter of whether people appreciate my creative skills or not, or if they even care to see the kind of person I am internally through my creative works.

16. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

Wow! Such awesome reasons in here! :p  Some deep, some not-so-deep,
    and some I didn't quite get.... <.< >.> :lol 

17. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    I do it because its lots of fun taking pictures of my Transformers doing weird crap. Editing it however is a pain...

18. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

Gives me a way to spread creativity and use a more of a selection of figures.

19. DOOMPRIME

DOOMPRIME SUPER MEGA LET IT GO!

I do the things I do so I can unleash the vision I have in my head, put characters in "unique" situations and well use my toys cause well I don't want them to be just sitting there looking pretty. :lol 

20. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Why do I make these comics?

Firstly, after writing Harry Potter fanfiction for years, I wanted to do the fanfic route with a different francise: Transformers. Then, I started collecting the Classics line whereupon I realized that I could use them to tell a story. So, that's the gist of it. Pretty basic, isn't it?