Discovering the coolness of MIB collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grimlock_13, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I've always been the "free them from their cardboard and plastic prisons" type of collector, but as soon as I saw Classics I knew I'd want two of each. It took awhile to talk myself into spending the money on another complete set of Classics, but over the past three days I finally did it. Now, as I look at the pristine toys in their shiny packing on my desk and on my wall, I finally see what is the appeal of leaving toys in their boxes. Now, I'm not going to convert to strictly MIB collecting, but I can postively say if any more Classics are released, I'll buy one to open and one to keep sealed. Woot!

Anyone else find out it's pretty cool on the other side of the collecting fence?

2. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The first line I actively collected from start to finish was RiD and I kept them sealed. Then I went back and got all the Car Robots versions and kept those sealed. Then I bought all of Micron Legend and kept that sealed. Then I bought all of Armada and kept that sealed.

Then I realized I was getting no enjoyment whatsoever out of what I had purchased, so one weekend I opened EVERYTHING and pitched all the boxes. Very fun.

I've kept nothing sealed since, but a lot of my Japanese G1 is MIB, as well as my Binaltechs and bookstyle reissues.

3. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have enough MIB Star Wars toys. Unless they're uber-rare exclusives or something, I open all my TF's.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Awesome! I'm sure you had a blast opening all of those toys!

5. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I was a MIB (not MISB) collector for the longest time until I ran out of space. Now I discard packages, except for Japanese and reissue stuff.

If you've got the budget and the place to get duplicates to do build a MIB/MISB collection, more power to you, I can respect that.

6. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I used to be all loose and stuff but now I uppgrade som of my G1 loose to MIB ones..but far from all , mainly the 84 and 85 cars and seekers.

7. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I started MiB collecting in Cybertron.

It takes up more space, but it's a lot of fun to me.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I usually open everything, but lately I havn't had the desire to open certain repaints that I bought. These inclue Skywarp magnus 2 pack, a fox kids cheetor repaint, G1 Thundercracker, Shadow mini-cons, 6" Tit Starscream, Cybertron Swerve. I already have previous versions of the molds open, so might as well keep these sealed and save display space for new molds.

9. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I only buy duplicates of figures I really, really like, which was the case with Classics.

As for MIB or MISB stuff, I only care about that for G1 items. If you have the space, I think the boxed stuff separates great collections from ordinary ones.

10. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Sealed collection? Never. Not since the 1995 Star Wars line which became a tremendous waste of money and space. I will never do that again.

11. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I tried the whole one sealed/one loose thing a couple times. I could never get into for a whole line, both because of the lack of space, but also the lack of funds. I do, however, like to buy a second sealed version of only my most favourite figures. (MACH KICK and Big Convoy/Magmatron for instance.)

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    ive got duplicates sealed of things that i really like...ie my favorite characters....so right now, ive got energon bruticus sealed (and have the japanese box set opened instead) and classic astrotrain sealed....if they release dirge and tracks in classic form, then ill buy duplicates....but those are my favorite characters/combiner. so those are the only ones i desire sealed....

13. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm largely a MIB collector, though I have a pretty focused collection so space isn't that much of a problem. I've always liked the way new toys appear in their boxes (all shiny and errr... new), it also keeps the dust off them, stacking's easier :)  and the toy is protected from accidental damage.

I've only just recently contemplated throwing packaging away, that's for the Classic deluxes. I'm not nearly as precious about them as anything else I have for some reason.

I have a few sealed duplicates of alternators, but not many, just my favourites.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Uh no I Have more fun Opening them then Keeping them Mint in Box

15. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I'm a big fan of buying one to open and one to keep MIB. I'm pretty selective, so I only have a handful from each line; so that means space isn't an issue.

I'm generally pretty picky (anal) about paint jobs on toys. I'll pick the best I can find on the shelf, but with TF the robot mode is hidden. I generally buy two so I can open the one that appears to be the worst of the two and enjoy it despite it's flaws because theoretically I have a 'perfect' one still in the package. As long as I never open it, I'll never see the flaws. It's probably a bit neurotic, but it makes them more enjoyable.

Plus, the packaging has been designed to make the toys look good.

16. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I am a MIB/MISB collector. I always buy a 2nd if I want to open one.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    haha joo got pwned by potf2 XD

i would never collect MIB half assed. its gotta be all boxed, or all loose.

but i shore like em cybertron packaging.

18. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

I always saw collecting toys as being fun because it involves that nostalgic feeling of opening a toy, so I've never seen the appeal in keeping everything in their boxes.

But then there's the Reissue line which is practically made to be MISB.

19. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Most of my stuff from RID forward is MISB, and a few are MIB. I always open the leader class guys I get, the MP stuff and one of each Alt., though. I can see the joy in opening them, but since I don't fiddle with them very often, opened figures would typically just sit on the shelves and collect dust.

20. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some things I keep sealed, others I open up.....
    I keep the coolest of the cool sealed, but I really have no method of deciding other than that.