discouraged

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Travicon, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Travicon

Travicon Nerdbot

Ill try to make this short as possible.

A couple months ago my wife says she wants an ipod. No specifics, just says ipod. I dont really know much about ipod, so i talk with some people, look some stuff up and buy her the ipod nano 5g for christmas.
    Wanting to make opening it up on x-mas fun I wrapped up a note with clues leading her to her real present hidden elsewhere in the house. So you can imagine im pretty excited about this and to see her reaction.
    Well, a couple days ago she goes to her sisters house. Her sister just got an ipod touch. My wife comes home and won't stop talking about how awesome ipod touch is and how she wants one. Ugh, I take a deep breath and tell myself, no problem, ill just open the nano and exchange it for a touch.
    However being just a few days away from xmas, the store I bought it from are out of the touch and wont give me a refund so that i can get one elsewhere because it been too long since I bought it.

Anyway, I know she can exchange it after christmas for a touch (once they're back instock) but this whole thing has really killed the excitement for me. Im sure she'll say she happy with the nano but i know the touch is what she really wants :/ oh well, you cant always win. Although it would be nice every once in a while...

*poor me rant over*

just had to get it off my chest.
    thanks for reading.

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you can turn this situation in your favor, just by being straightfoward with her come Christmas day -- you already got her the Nano, but because you recently became aware of the fact that she wanted a Touch, you weren't able to exchange it on such short notice. Give her the option to either keep the Nano or wait to exchange it for a Touch. In short, I think she'll appreciate your effort even more if you explain the circumstances and let her have the option of how to resolve it.

A small, supplementary backup gift might not be a bad idea as well.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree with process, that should work, after all "it's the thought that counts" right?:D 
    and you did try to get her something she wanted!!
    (My family will give you an ad, the salesperson's name and the isle in the store, so you can get it right, so maybe next year, ask for a picture of what she wants--it could help!)

4. red4

red4 Banned

Your post leaves me more confused than informed.

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with both Process and Moreprimeland. Just explain to her that you did your best to get the iPod Touch, and remember that it's the thought that counts.

6. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Hopefully your wife won't be too harsh on you. I mean, you're not a mind reader or anything, right? How were you supposed to know exactly what she wanted if she didn't provide any specifics until months after she initially asked for one? Hell, she should be happy you were paying attention and listening to her in the first place.

But yeah, if she's totally disappointed, just explain to her how it all went down and that she can exchange it next week.

7. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

If she's disappointed and unhappy with the gift, then you know you married the wrong woman.

Seriously, if she's not materialistic or a total bitch, she should be fine, and you can offer to upgrade it after she opens it.

8. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

/\ This

As long as you tried she should be happy. Hell, you are better than a lot of men....you listened when she said she wanted an ipod.

9. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    If it's from her husband (you) and he put plenty of love and thought into it, she will love it more than the touch. People underestimate the thought that goes into gifts nowadays. You'll be fine and christmas will be awesome.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    im in firm agreement with my tag team partner