Discouraged

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Discussion' started by CarafelliusMaximus, May 5, 2009.

1. CarafelliusMaximus

CarafelliusMaximus G1 Junkie

I was really considering doing some video reviews on youtube. I got on there and I was looking for a few people I wanted to subscribe to before I forgot and I did a search for "Transformers reviews" and there was about 40,000 hits. So now I'm thinking that with so many people doing Transformers reviews that I'm not going to have a big enough audience that would warrant my time. It would be one thing if there weren't a few hundred people doing them and it was a little niche, but it's fairly popular. I'm discouraged from doing it now, I get the feeling I'll do all these videos and no one is going to bother watching and I'll do them for nothing, just wasting my time. If I do this I want people to get something out of it not pass it by for something of the same material they've already seen like three times.

2. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

Honestly, dont do it if you want subs, only do it for fun. If you do it for subscriptions your not going to have fun and youll probably get turned off to the whole thing.

3. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i started like a month ago and its fun to do. just post the vids in the review part of this forum. some people will watch. some won't.

4. shigeoj24

shigeoj24 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with iheartarcee and that you should do videos because it's fun. There are a handful of youtube reviewers that i don't care for because they are just subscriber whores. But like you said, there is a lot of competition out there, so it would really help if you had your own angle/niche. IMO there are way too many reviewers that do current figures. I would love more G1 reviews or even reviews on current figures that are funny/creative/entertaining.

5. CarafelliusMaximus

Well that was what I was thinking. The thing is, I wasn't sure if there was any real need for it being G1 is not something you can get out of Walmart at a given time. It's limited to online and hobby shops or specialty stores. It's not really about subscriptions, because only recently have I been subscribing myself to channels. I'm thinking that it's not going to be of much use, like adding a bucket of salt water to the ocean, because of so many similar videos out there. I don't care if people subscribe, it's more of are people going to really get anything out of it, are they really going to watch it? You have to think to, by doing a video review you're putting yourself up against people like Vangelus, Kalel Prime and Peaugh who are really well established reviewers. I would think that people are more likely to go to a veteran than a newbie for info.

6. DreadwindsGhost

DreadwindsGhost Micro Mad

Not necessarily so. I review a lot on Youtube (link in my sig), and have only just broken the 100+ subscriber mark - but I enjoy doing it, I try something different, and people seem to enjoy it.

At the end of the day, yes I have quite a bit of knowledge, and I enjoy imparting that where I can, and have a bit of a laugh while doing so. Some of the vets even enjoy what I do, and they've promoted me on Youtube on a few occasions now, so it's not a case of 'Argh, newbie reviewer! Burn him!'

The TF reviewing community on Youtube are a great set of people - I'm glad I got into the making vids thing. I think you would be, too.

7. ElekTriC

News Credits:
    i think i need a more funnier way to make my vids. some thing people won't do.

anyway. its just the way how you will be going to review your toys. and yes. at the beginning it will be hard to get subs. but dont do it for subs. i only have 7 subs and that are just friends. but i have peaugh subs to my vids. he just did it. didnt need to ask so...

thats just how it goes.

make vids for fun and not for subs. then you wont have fun making them.

8. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really the worst thing to do is look at it as going -against- people that are already there, that'll just make things feel like work. That and I don't really know of anybody that looks at someone who starts posting videos and thinks "ah shit, it's competition, how am I gonna bury this motherfo!"

Just make vids for the fun of the process, toy around with editing, play with videography, or even just see how your persona comes across vlog-style. :D  The draw of community video isn't purely information- there are many who watch vids moreso for entertainment or to see and hear another personality out there on the web.

9. ElekTriC

News Credits:
    vangelus is imo no.1 @ vids. :)  just because hes that damn funny :p 

10. shigeoj24

shigeoj24 Well-Known Member

Don't be discouraged because the more reviewers the better. Yes, I tend to really look forward to videos from Vengelus, Kalel Prime, ilovemess, etc but then there are a whole lot of newcomers that I really enjoy too. On a certain level, I like the newcomers better because they have the time to comment back and show their appreciation for their subscribers. And Dreadwind's Ghost is right in that you are joining a community by making videos, and that is probably one of the best reasons to do it.

11. CarafelliusMaximus

You've all got good points. I appreciate your comments and thoughts. This is the push I needed, I'm going to go for it and do it. Thanks guys.

12. DreadwindsGhost

DreadwindsGhost Micro Mad

Good for you. :) 

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Be cool, be calm, be funny, don't ask for "OMG SUB ME!!1" every ten seconds, and you should be fine. Yes, there are many TF reviewers, but are they all good and popular?

14. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Set yourself apart from the crowd by wearing a multi-colored clown wig and oversized novelty sunglasses.

I will be your first and best subscriber

15. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    There are only 2 reviewers I'm subscribed to on the 'Tube = Peaugh for new figures & thecollector75 for the vintage/rare stuff. If I were to ever do Youtube Reviews, It would be of my rare figures (Late Japanese G1, Diaclone, Microchange etc.). Like the other guys have said, You've gotta be different & by that I mean keep your vids relatively short (under 5 mins - I can't stand those 25 min reviews... :rolleyes2 ) & review figures from a wide variety of lines - it keeps things interesting :) .

Don't worry about no one watching your vids - Keeping your vids relatively short & reviewing figures from different eras will catch people's attention & the subscribers will come :) .

16. ElekTriC

News Credits:
    If you watch my next review you will see it will be diffrent then the rest. but i wont be wearing a multi-colored clown wig :p 

17. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if you've got a unique feel and take on the reviewing process I'd say go for it

18. CarafelliusMaximus

I've got some pretty interesting ideas that I think will make the videos stand apart from the others really. Hopefully what I'm doing will look as awesome as I'm imagining it lol.

19. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    I have been doing reviews for almost a year(I'm Sixshotreviews2) and I don't care that there is like 100000 reviewers on Youtube. I have 334 subscribers well that is mainly because I also do Bionicle reviews and not just Transformers reviews. I think you should do some reviews and see how it goes!

20. CarafelliusMaximus

I'm planning on doing a lot of other reviews besides Transformers. I'm going to do movies, video games, other action figures and collectibles, potentially some CD's as well. It's going to be interesting, for both me and the viewers.