Discount Anime DVD

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Sweep, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Sweep

Sweep worse then vehicon drones

2. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought some figures from them last year, everything was very good. No problems at all, I would buy from them again.

3. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

Sundevildvd.com is a lot cheaper, if you don't mind the occasional bootleg. I personally think discountanimedvd's imports are too high.

4. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Most of their dvds are bootlegs.

5. 333HE

Yes, but GOOD quality bootlegs. I've bought many from them, and while most have no English audio, they have excellent subtitles! It's all a matter of what you wanna spend. Me, I'm a cheap bastard, so I don't mind. :D 

6. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Or whether or not you want to support legit products and the people who make them.

7. 333HE

Bah. The legit ones are too damn expensive. They're making a buck over here, who gives a crap about buying bootlegs? Do I really want to pay $30 for three episodes on one disc? Hell no. The market sees that anime is popular over here, and so they jack up the prices.

8. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    You could view that way.

9. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Alot of money off of those bootlegs supports the Triad.

Be a cheapo like me. Get some patience, DVD encoding, authoring, and burning software, and DVDRs and then start DLing fansubs. I've amassed a gigantic anime collection over the years and the only money I've spent is on blank DVDs and DVD multipacks for season shows.

10. 333HE

Hmm, there's an idea. If I ever get my main comp fixed, I'll try that. Although torrents are useful too, I've downloaded em that way before.

11. iikagen

iikagen Hates Bumblebee!

Any recommendations?

12. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

They do not jack up the prices. When a company licenses an anime, they have to buy the license for the film, the music and voice track. And on top of that, they have to pay english voice actors. The funny thing about that? Even with all the expenses, our DVD's are STILL cheaper then in Japan.

13. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    TMPEG encoder and authorer made by Pegasys is what I use. There are some free trials of each out there. They're a little pricey for the full versions, but man, so worth the one time purchase compared to all the money you save by not ever buying anime again :0

For burning I use the copy of Nero that came with my computer.

I torrent pretty much everything. I use utorrent, I love it.

I do try to stay away from liscensed shows though (excluding stuff like Naruto and Bleach because I really don't feel like waiting for Viz to catch up to where the Japanese stuff is at).

If you decide to try those out let me know and I could walk you through the process because you'll have to change the aspect ration that the fan subbers to their work in so the subs don't get cut off on the screen.

There's also tons of info on doing this stuff at: www.videohelp.com

14. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Still tends to be on the expensive side of things. I admit, me in japan+animes wouldn't work out, but even here I get only choice titles, and even not all the time. But I wouldn't buy a bootleg. No way, I hate them.

15. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Search around. Anime is not THAT expensive from legit sources. I've found that between DiscountDVD, AnimeNation and Amazon I can get about any Anime I want for around $15 a DVD. And that's legit, licensed for distribution in America DVDs. I don't think I paid more than $17 for any DVD in the entire Fullmetal Alchemist run, and that was for the last movie special edition.

I'm a weirdo though. I have a major, MAJOR problem with bootlegs. For multiple reasons, but mostly because I've been a creator (not of anime, but still) and don't like the idea of someone else making money off my work. And I'm not a big believer in double standards, so I apply that to others too.

16. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I've bought from them with no troubles, think I got most of my Sailor Moon from them.

Only bootleg I own is Sailor Moon Sailor Stars, because it is unavailable in any other form (I believe). A lot of the rest of the anime I own I've downloaded, pretty much all of which I have loved and will be buying the DVD's when I can get enough disposable cash together to do so...

17. 333HE

The reason it's more expensive in Japan is because the cost of living, nay, EVERYTHING there is higher. Plus, chew on the fact that it costs 30 cents (at least in the US) to make one DVD.

18. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

My point was people's complaints are unwarranted. It's the Japanese who should be complaining about how cheap our prices are!

19. iikagen

iikagen Hates Bumblebee!

Thanks for the info. I currently installed and have been using ConvertXtoDVD.Simple to use program, but the encoding time itself is slow. It takes almost 4-5 Hours just to convert a few episodes.