Discoloration.... only on white?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by kllrwlf, Aug 24, 2007.

1. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Does the color discoloration only have on the white parts of the figures?

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to store them, and which ones I'm going to store.

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Apparently all plastics undergo the discolourisation effect, its just more noticable in white. The discolourisation is probably similar to the yellowing effects that SNES's go through with age.

Its not just Sunlight that does it, its also the plastic reacting to oxygen as well. It also depends upon the particular figures batch of plastic, they have a different chemical makeup which means although they look the same they react differently. So in other words some figures won't appear to yellow and others will.

This is the page I remember reading on these boards so very long ago...

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

So I would say... hmm, bag them in some kinda airtight bag (I dunno, maybe a comic bag or something) and keep them in the dark. Which reminds me, my G1 Getaway was looking suspiciously yellow when I was re packing him the other day. Hmmmm.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, its not just "light" that causes the discolourisation...there have been fans in my country who keep their toys (white in colour) in dark places but the toys still yellowed.

4. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    I have toys with very noticably discolored blue, read, purple and beige, from the top of my head.

5. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Thats why i love black TF's they dont discolourate... well I can't see they do :p 

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've noticed "age spots" on Decepticon/Destron Pretenders that were made of lesser quality plastic in those days. I've also noiced a liitle color fading on the Action Master partners.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  7. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think heat plays a part. I kept pretty much all my TFs bagged up in a darkened loft for years. When I rediscovered them I found that many of them were discoloured, most noticably the white ones. The reason I say heat plays a part is that the loft that I speak of gets really hot in the summer months.

Other colours discolour aswell, I have a G1 Skullcruncher that has discoloured red (the interior surfaces are a slightly different shade to the exterior).

8. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Another major cause of yellowing of plastic is smoking. So if you smoke definitely want to pack 'em up tight. But I believe that this sort of yellowing is fully restorable.

Ideally if you have a climate controled (humidifier) basement with no light, place them in that room, it will help the aging process. But remember all materials will degrade in time. These suggestions only reduce the damage happening quickly. No transformer will probably last for ever. But easily last your lifetime.

One note on basements, make sure the bots are up high to prevent water damage due to flooding. Especially if your area is acceptable to it.

9. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've seen several silver toys with yellowing ("golding"?), including some especially severly afflicted G1 Blasters.

I've had really good luck with my G1 toys, though. No discoloration that I've ever noticed -- even Jetfire.

10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I think UV protection could help, but what else other than a vintage Jetfire would you do that for? As it stands now, I keep mine in a dark closet in a well air-conditioned room and I still check it every now and then to see if it's yellowed. Right now, it's perfect, but it's just a matter of time.

Alas, if anybody wants a vintage Jetfire 20 more years from now, then they'll probably have to live with the yellowing.