Customs: Disassembling classics seekers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Miggytron, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

In the process of trying my first ever repaint (Acid Storm to Thundercracker) and I've hit a snag during disassembly. How did you guys take out the big pin that holds te chest hinge together on the classic seekers? I've already broken one pin punch trying to do it.

In fact I've had issues with these other pins as well:

- The various pins on the nosecone. Not the one holding the tip but the one holding the front windshield to the nose and the one that holds the arm attaching to the robot head. Do you use clamps to hold the cone in place? It keeps rolling out of position for me.

- the various pins on the main body like the nipple wheels and the wing attachments. They're all at weird angles.

Thanks in advance!

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

You need to use a strong punch, like a Craftsman to take that pin out. Make sure you are knocking it the correct way, only one side of it is knurled and you want that side to pop out first.

I wouldn't mess with the arm pins or the chest pins, you really don't have to take them apart. Same with the nose, I think it would be easier to just mask it off.

3. Miggytron

Ah so I guess buying a cheapo punch wasn't a good idea. :p 

How do you guys hold it down so that it's stable enough to be hammered on but also won't break the wing supports? Like would a clamp be useful? Any tips for that or is it all about balancing it and holding the punch with one hand?

4. Boggs6ft7

I put things like that on the edge of my workbench and make sure that only that pice is touching he bench, for the seekers it would be just the part where the pin is going to come out. Then I hold it with my left hand and the punch in the same hand, then hammer with my right.

Takes some practice, but you'll get it.

Also, my workbench is wood, so the pin will drive itself into the wood a little bit, but this is good because you can knock enough out that you can pull the rest with pliers.

I'm not sure a clamp would be useful without damaging the figure.

5. Miggytron

After a new punch, an hour of pulling and raw hands I finally got the pin out. New problem though... It's now bent in multiple spots lol. Hopefully I can get it back in after I'm done painting but if I can't, is there a place to get replacement pins?

6. Boggs6ft7

You might be able to find some metal stock at a legitimate hobby shop that could be cut to size.

I've straightened out some pins by putting them into a vise.

I've never had that much trouble knocking out that pin and I did a few seeker customs.